Bird Cams Around the World

Peregrine Falcons, Eagles, Kestrels, Ospreys, Owls and Much, Much More!!!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 168 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: IN THE NEWS~2014
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:31 am 

Injured falcon may fly again
March 19, 2014
By STEPHEN HUBA - Hancock County Reporter (shuba@reviewonline.com) , The Review
Save | Post a comment |
CHESTER-An injured peregrine falcon from Pennsylvania may fly again thanks to the alert actions of a Chester woman and her daughter and son-in-law.

Dana Picciarelli, 60, said she was driving home on California Avenue on the snowy evening of Feb. 17 when she noticed something in the middle of the road.

"The snow was all piled up on the side. As I went around the bend, I saw what I thought was an eagle at first. I knew it was hurt. It wouldn't move. ... She just sat there and looked at me," Picciarelli said.

Picciarelli called her son-in-law, Mark Snyder, who brought a box and took the peregrine falcon home with him. "You could tell her wing was hurt," she said.

Snyder and his wife, Toni, kept the bird overnight, feeding it raw steak, while the family reached out for help.

Picciarelli said an official with the West Virginia Department of Natural Resources told her to leave the bird alone, that its wing would heal. "He told me I could get arrested for capturing her," she said.

So Picciarelli contacted the Avian Conservation Center of Appalachia, in Morgantown, and made arrangements for them to take the falcon on Feb. 18. The Snyders drove the bird to Cheat Lake Animal Hospital in Morgantown and delivered her to a center volunteer.

X-rays revealed that the falcon had suffered a dislocated elbow and a fractured radius-both in the right wing. Center personnel operated and fixed both injuries, inserting a pin to repair the fracture, said Jesse Fallon, Avian Conservation Center director of veterinary medicine.

The bird is now undergoing therapy under anesthesia three times a week, Fallon said.

"She needs one more week for the fracture to heal, and then we'll remove the pin ... and see how it's healed," he said. "Her chances of release are still up in the air. I'd say she has a 50-50 chance of release."

Fallon said it's likely, from the nature of the injuries, that the bird either was hit by a car or flew into a window. "It had to be something high force. She had to be flying at full speed," he said.

Peregrine falcons are the fastest animals in the world because of their ability to dive at speeds of up to 180 mph, Fallon said. Their average flight speed is 70 mph, he said.

In order for the bird to survive in the wild, it must have full range of motion and "top athletic performance" so that it can dive properly, Fallon said. Falcons usually hunt by capturing their prey in mid-flight while diving, he said.

"We still need to continue our rehabilitation and then do some outdoor exercising and make sure she's going to be a success before we release her," Fallon said.

Upon receiving the falcon, center officials learned from the band on her leg that she had been hatched on Three Mile Island in Pennsylvania in June 2007. The Pennsylvania Game Commission has a banding program for peregrine chicks.

Game commission officials told Fallon that the bird was banded after falling out of its nest. It was placed back in the nest and fledged successfully, Fallon said.

According to the Pennsylvania Game Commission website, the peregrine falcon was named an endangered species in 1970 but later was taken off the list. Pennsylvania, which has about a dozen breeding pairs, still considers it an endangered species.

"They're a species of concern," Fallon said. "As a top-of-the-food-chain predator, they're one of the species we work hard at getting back out in the wild. They're slow to reproduce, so each individual (falcon) becomes important to the population. In West Virginia, they're not common at all."

Fallon praised Picciarelli and the Snyders for their actions in saving the bird. "It was about as ideal a case of finding, capture, transport and surgery as you can hope for," he said.

Anyone who finds an injured bird should call a local rehabilitation facility to learn what to do, he said, noting that West Virginia's Good Samaritan law protects such life-saving actions.

"She's a pretty bird," Picciarelli said. "She looks healthier than the day we picked her up.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:23 am 

Love a good samaritan! :flirty:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:34 am 

gigi wrote:
Love a good samaritan! :flirty:

I love to hear news like this! :sham3:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:04 pm 
Site Admin

What a great story...and what horrible advice given by W. VA DNR...shame on them!!!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:15 pm 

skygirlblue wrote:
What a great story...and what horrible advice given by W. VA DNR...shame on them!!!

I thought I had read that wrong, but I guess not. I don't care about fines or law if something or someone is hurt, I will try to help anyways.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:14 am 

New discovery finds missing hormone in birds
University of Akron researchers discovered leptin in the mallard duck, peregrine falcon and zebra finch, marking the first time the hormone has been found in birds.

Read more at:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:48 am 

Interesting.

I am not sure about Richard Londraville's comment "It has been a pretty big deal because people wanted to study leptin in birds for the poultry industry, for instance, to develop faster growing and tastier chicken..." It might produce bigger people too by eating chicken enhanced with leptin.. Just my opinion.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:09 pm 

kittenface wrote:
skygirlblue wrote:

I thought I had read that wrong, but I guess not. I don't care about fines or law if something or someone is hurt, I will try to help anyways.

me also KF

I will never leave anything to suffer alone, human or bird , or animal. I think most of us here think th e same.
Peter always says, "what are they going to do, take my name away" LOL

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:11 pm 

gigi wrote:
Interesting.

I am not sure about Richard Londraville's comment "It has been a pretty big deal because people wanted to study leptin in birds for the poultry industry, for instance, to develop faster growing and tastier chicken..." It might produce bigger people too by eating chicken enhanced with leptin.. Just my opinion.

Very interesting. I say leave the chickens alone . We try to control too much of that industry. that, in my opinion , is why it is always in trouble.
but very interesting read

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:00 pm 

bev. wrote:
gigi wrote:
Interesting.

Very interesting. I say leave the chickens alone . We try to control too much of that industry. that, in my opinion , is why it is always in trouble.
but very interesting read
Young girls will start developing breasts at age 6. and bigger ones too... Just sayin'

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:46 am 

Protected peregrine falcon dies after being shot down in suburban Sunbury
A PROTECTED falcon that survived a gun attack two years ago has died after being found in a suburban Sunbury street with two shotgun wounds.

The peregrine falcon was euthanised after being found earlier this month with bullets lodged in its wing and abdomen.

Veterinary nurse and wildlife carer Wendy Black said the same bird was shot and nursed back to health just two years ago.

“This bird was also shot around two years ago and was in care for 18 months to get her fit and ready for release,” Ms Black said.

The bird’s body has been kept so the shotgun pellets can be analysed by the Department of Environment and Primary Industries.

Ms Black said in some parts of Australia the lifespan of the peregrine had decreased by 50 per cent because of pigeon fanciers.

“Falcons get blamed for every pigeon that goes AWOL,” Ms Black said.

“There are many people in the community that love our native wildlife and will contact the proper authorities if they witness a crime against these animals.”

Macedon Ranges Wildlife Network volunteer Fiona Corke said the shooting would have taken place in the suburban setup.

“The falcon wouldn’t have been able to travel very far with the injuries it sustained,” Ms Corke said.

“I am very concerned.”

DEPI spokeswoman Sally Bateman said raptors, including falcons, are an important part of the ecosystem.

“It is illegal to hunt, take or destroy and the maximum penalty for destroying wildlife is $7218,” she said.

Anyone with information on the attack is urged to report it to DEPI on 136 186.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:29 pm 

3:05PM, MON 7 APR 2014
Fighting Peregrine Falcons smash through office window
- last updated Mon 7 Apr 2014

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:29 pm 

Whoa! that would get your attention. Glad the birds were okay.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 11:49 pm 

Rescued eagle reunited with Knox County students who discovered it
These younger students sure could have taught those college students at Oral Roberts a lesson on how to treat wildlife. :teehee:

Article & picture here:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:00 am 

VERY NICE ARTICLE. I GO TO MESKER ZOO ON MY DAYS OFF FROM WORK AND ALWAYS STOP BY TO SEE "PATRIOT" - AN INJURED NON-RELEASEABLE EAGLE THEY CARE FOR.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:12 pm 

A mother osprey was shot off her nest at Orange Park High School on Friday night.

The bird of prey also broke one wing when it plummeted down in a spiral about 90 feet to the ground from the nest which sits atop a light pole at the boys’ baseball field nat the high school, according to a teacher who came to the wounded raptor’s aid.

“She has at least one bullet wound and when she fell, she broke her right wing,” Jenifer DePalma said Tuesday.

A zoology teacher, DePalma carefully wrapped the osprey in a towel and cared for it overnight before taking it Saturday morning to veterinarians at Hidden Hills Animal Hospital in Jacksonville, which works with Cindy Mosling, the co-founder of the Bird Emergency Aid and Kare Sanctuary (BEAKS) on Big Talbot Island.

“She was in shock and had lost a lot of blood,” Mosling said. “It’s too soon to tell if she will be able to fly again.”

Mosling said BEAKS is offering a $500 reward for information leading to the arrest of the person who shot the bird. In addition, Richard Eason, who teaches math at the high school, is offering a separate $500 for an arrest, DePalma said.

“What’s most disturbing to me is that shots were fired into an active school yard,” said Mosling, noting there was a track meet going on at next field over from where the osprey was shot.

No people were reported injured. Several gunshots were heard, said DePalma,

DePalma, a former BEAKS volunteer, said the osprey was frightened but feisty. She called on her experience with BEAKS as well as her background as a zoology teacher when she helped it.

“But at one point, I got her too close to me and she turned around and opened up her beak, like, ‘OK, back it up’,” said DePalma, noting that when a bird of prey is hurt it typically “throws itself onto its back and puts its talons up in the air” to protect itself.

DePalma wrapped a towel around her talons before carefully picking her up. Once home, DePalma dropped sugar water on the osprey’s beak so she could take it, and let her rest in a dark dry place.

The shooting occurred about 7 p.m. Friday. DePalma said several gunshots were heard that appeared to come from a residential neighborhood bordering that side of the school.

Mosling said the bird is about three or four years old. She has been eating and “is amazingly strong,” which is a good sign but only time will tell, she said.

“I’m just amazed that she’s survived… Gunshot wounds are hard to recover from. I think she has a strong will to live because she has babies,” Mosling said.

DePalma said the osprey, her mate and an unknown number of chicks, are using a nest that ospreys have used at the ball field for at least 20 years.

“There are babies up there and they have their father. The male has been calling for her. Every day he calls and calls for his mate,” said DePalma, adding she is concerned the male osprey might give up and the chick or chicks might die.

Osprey are protected under state and federal law. It is illegal to harm, harass or kill the birds. The shooting was reported to the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission, which had an officer investigating the incident.

Because the male osprey is carrying for the young, wildlife officials won’t intervene right now, said Karen Parker, commission spokeswoman, adding that they have consulted with U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service wildlife biologist about the situation.

“The problem would be, if you put a bucket truck up there to evaluate or count the chicks, it may startle the chicks and they could jump out and get hurt,” Parker said.

What the HEL* THEY NEED TO FIND THE IDIOT THAT SHOT INTO AN AREA WITH CHILDREN AROUND
Parker said the commission has suspended its investigation of the shooting pending new information. Right now, it doesn’t have any suspects or additional information about the shooting.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:12 am 

Oh that is horrible.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:16 pm 

Heroic Ospreys Will Not Stop Building Nests on This Traffic Camera

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:55 pm 

Oh dear. They are persistent aren't they! I say get a platform up pronto!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:17 pm 

gigi wrote:
Oh dear. They are persistent aren't they! I say get a platform up pronto!

Thats what I thought. They can put something up above it.

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 168 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next