Bird Cams Around the World

Peregrine Falcons, Eagles, Kestrels, Ospreys, Owls and Much, Much More!!!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 168 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: IN THE NEWS~2014
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 1:13 am 

DID BEANS SEE THIS?

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 2:28 am 

SWINWK wrote:
DID BEANS SEE THIS?

Yes beans is on top of this.Here is a link to see the posts about it SWINWK some good reading when you get a chance.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 1:42 pm 
Site Admin

Update on the Bangor, Maine Eagle mom and her chicks from the Avian FB page (posted this morning):

Mom Bangor was bouncing off the walls in her hospital cage so we moved her outside yesterday. We put her babies out with her, in a make-shift nest (with heating pad underneath). They spent the afternoon with her, and she kept a close eye on them but made no attempt to feed or brood them. We brought the babies back inside for the night. We’ll let her settle down and get used to her new environment, then try again.

Pics of Mom and Babes on FB:

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 10:56 pm 

STATEN ISLAND, N.Y. -- These birds must really dig traffic.

Three peregrine falcon hatchlings were born at an Outerbridge Crossing nesting site Tuesday morning, oblivious, it would seem, to the commuters, noise and dust below.

The two boys, Aeron and Obbie, and a girl, McKenzie, were born on cofferdams, or platforms, below the bridge, said a spokeswoman for the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey (P.A.).

Their arrival marks a total of 98 falcons born at Staten Island bridges since 1989 under a program overseen by the P.A., in coordination with the city Department of Environmental Protection (DEP).

The DEP and The Raptor Trust perform regular health checks on the newborns, record their vital statistics and band them to track their development.
There is peregrine falcon activity at a Bayonne Bridge nest, the spokeswoman said, meaning No. 100 could be born soon.

Peregrine falcons are described by the Cornell Lab of Ornithology as "powerful and fast-flying" birds of prey that were "virtually eradicated from eastern North America by pesticide poisoning in the middle 20th century. After significant recovery efforts, peregrine falcons have made an incredible rebound and are now regularly seen in many large cities and coastal areas."

The birds' names were decided by the P.A. and DEP; their mom is known as Mrs.

The falcon nesting locations are wood shelters located on cofferdams below the bridge. The cofferdams are structures that protect the bridge abutments from ships navigating the channel

Cute picture here:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 10:42 am 

I just saw this posting on the Peregrine Place facebook page. The pictures are amazing.

Enjoy.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 1:38 pm 

Gang of five arrested after golden eagle chick heist :eggthumbup:
PUBLISHED: MAY 21, 2014 AT 4:13 PM • LAST EDITED: MAY 21, 2014 AT 4:13 PM
ANDALUCIA, LEAD • 0

=======================================
INJURED BALD EAGLE RESCUED BY HOMER GLEN FAMILY :egg20:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 1:59 pm 

:egg19:

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 9:19 pm 

New story on USPS Tree trimming incident in Oakland...

Landscaper faces charges for injuring birds outside Oakland post office

KTVU.com and Wires

OAKLAND, Calif. — A Bay Point tree trimmer could be facing federal charges for trimming trees outside a downtown Oakland post office earlier this month where protected birds were nesting, according to a United States Fish and Wildlife Service investigator.

The U.S. Postal Service hired Ernesto Pulido to trim the trees outside the post office at 201 13th St. on May 3 because birds that had been nesting there were defecating on mail trucks causing problems for the windshields and locks.

But Fish and Wildlife investigators said that Pulido should have known better because trimming trees with nesting birds is usually a crime under the Migratory Bird Treaty Act, which protects all but three bird species in California.

The misdemeanor charges recommended could result in a maximum penalty of six months incarceration and a $15,000 fine, Assistant Special Agent in Charge Dan Crum said.

A separate investigation by the state Department of Fish and Wildlife is still in progress, Crum said.

Crum said that the investigation did not find any evidence that the landscapers had killed any of the birds either when they fell to the pavement or by being put through a wood chipper, as initial reports had suggested.

Pulido identified himself as the contractor who had done the work and expressed remorse once reports of the injured birds had surfaced.

Five herons ranging between one and three weeks old were treated at an International Bird Rescue facility in Fairfield for injuries consistent with falling from a nest, bird rescue spokesman Andrew Harmon said earlier this month.

The herons mainly suffered scrapes and bruises and one had a fractured beak, but that they were expected to recover and be released to the wild, Harmon said.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 9:29 pm 

Well, that is interesting mwplay. :furious: I am pretty sure beans has photos of a deceased nestling. Also why is the post office not being held responsible in any way? Although the tree trimmer ultimately trimmed the tree, I am not sure the tree trimmers I have hired have knowledge of United States Fish and Wildlife Service rules and regulations.

There is a lot of road construction along the route I travel to volunteer at bird rehab. Lots of trees being felled to improve traffic flow. I would bet that whoever is cutting them down never checks for nesting birds and mammals. I always cringe when I drive past and figure I just really don't want to know....

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 10:53 pm 

THANKS FOR THE UPDATE MW, I WILL BE GLAD WHEN THEY GET THIS SORTED! I THINK THESE ACTS PLAY OUT ALL AROUND THE WORLD IN VARIOUS CAPACITIES AS PEOPLE PERFORM THEIR "JOBS." I RECENTLY HAD A NEIGHBOR WHO USED TO WORK AS A ROOFER TELL ME ... THEY CAME ACROSS A BIRD'S NEST WITH BABIES WHEN THEY WENT UP TO DO THE TEARDOWN ... I ASKED WHAT THEY DID WITH THE NEST ... HE SAID: THEY SET IT IN THE TRASH CAN AND PUT THE LID ON ... THEY DIDN'T KNOW WHAT ELSE TO DO ... HE SAID: HE FELT REAL BAD ABOUT IT ... :egg15:

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 11:30 pm 

Feds charge two Campbell residents with disturbing falcon nest

Posted: May 21, 2014 9:56 PM EDT
Updated: May 21, 2014 9:59 PM EDT
By Mike Gauntner, Online Content Manager

PHILADELPHIA -
Two bridge workers from Campbell have been arrested by federal agents for allegedly causing protected Peregrine Falcons to flee their nesting place on a bridge in Philadelphia.

According to the U.S Attorney's office, a federal judge unsealed an indictment charging Nikolaos Frangos, 38, George Capuzello, 42, both of Campbell, Ohio, and Mikhail Zubialevich, a/k/a “Russian Mike,” 41, of Princeton, New Jersey with conspiring to disturb the falcons.

The indictment charges the three defendants with conspiring to falsify, conceal and cover up a material fact in a matter within the jurisdiction of the Fish and Wildlife Service and the US Department of Transportation, witness tampering, and harboring an alien. Capuzello was also charged with perjury and Zubialevich was also charged with making a false statement.

According to the indictment, the defendants were involved, to varying degrees, in the refurbishment of the Girard Point Bridge in Philadelphia, which, for many years, had been a nesting site for peregrine falcons.

As a condition of the work contract, the company, The Liberty-Alpha Joint Venture, agreed to refrain from working in the areas of the falcons’ nests during nesting season.

On June 4, 2011, Capuzello allegedly directed Zubialevich and another worker to perform grinding or sanding in the “restricted zone” which frightened and disturbed the falcons and caused them to abandon their nest.

During a subsequent investigation into the disturbance of the falcons, the three defendants allegedly conspired to cover up the identity of one of the workers, who was an illegal alien and was partly responsible for disturbing the Peregrine Falcons.

It is further alleged that Frangos and Capuzello intimidated another person, J.W., in order to prevent or delay communication with a Special Agent relating to the possible commission of a federal offense.

If convicted Frangos faces a maximum possible sentence of 35 years in prison, Capuzello faces a maximum possible sentence of 40 years in prison, and Zubialevich faces a maximum possible sentence of 20 years in prison.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 11:33 pm 

gigi wrote:
Well, that is interesting mwplay. :furious: I am pretty sure beans has photos of a deceased nestling. Also why is the post office not being held responsible in any way? Although the tree trimmer ultimately trimmed the tree, I am not sure the tree trimmers I have hired have knowledge of United States Fish and Wildlife Service rules and regulations.

There is a lot of road construction along the route I travel to volunteer at bird rehab. Lots of trees being felled to improve traffic flow. I would bet that whoever is cutting them down never checks for nesting birds and mammals. I always cringe when I drive past and figure I just really don't want to know....

I really don't think people care. Sad and upsetting to me. When my gardener's want to trim the trees, I NEVER let them trim between January and September. I tell them they have a short window to get the work done and they are not to touch the trees during nesting. Also tell them to be extra careful. Maybe it will kill the trees, but it's more important that the birds finish their nesting IMO.

Funny story, and maybe I should post a picture. About a month ago, I heard and saw these huge birds in my neighbor's tree. It's some kind of pine tree - I think. I had never seen this kind of bird before. There were 2 of them. My dogs were barking at them because they were so large. Well, turns out they were Night Herons. Until I saw the story, I didn't know they were endangered! I feel so privileged that I got to see them. Had a pair of white-tailed kites mating up there last year up. I knew what I was hearing from watching peregrines! It's amazing how much watching these cams has opened my eyes to the beauty of the birds around me.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 11:29 am 

Here we go again, probably some idiot not wanting to dig a hole (IMHO) :furious:

Dead bald eagle in Pa. killed by euthanizing drugs
Posted: Friday, May 23, 2014, 7:24 AM

MOUNT POCONO, Pa. (AP) - State game officials say a bald eagle found dead at the base of a popular eagle nest in eastern Pennsylvania was killed by drugs used to euthanize animals.

Lancaster News (http://bit.ly/1lWWIGR ) reports that the Pennsylvania Game Commission believes the eagle fed on the carcass of an animal that had been euthanized and then improperly left in the open.

John Wagner, wildlife management supervisor for the commission's southeast region, said genetic tests are being done to determine the species of the euthanized animal.

An amateur photographer spotted the eagle's carcass in Paradise Township in mid-March and alerted the game commission.
The mature male wasn't part of the pair that made the active nest.
Officials say there are currently more than 250 active eagle nests in Pennsylvania.

Information from: Intelligencer Journal/Lancaster New Era , http://lancasteronline.com
Read more at
http://www.philly.com/philly/news/20140523_ap_553b1db83ace407d8e112a1c1892e9af.html#qtcSxpLAb8yiw0w6.99

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 12:32 pm 

I am speechless. :gaaaaah:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:15 pm 

It's triplets! Another successful peregrine falcon nesting on Columbia-Wrightsville Bridge

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:55 pm 

kittenface wrote:
It's triplets! Another successful peregrine falcon nesting on Columbia-Wrightsville Bridge
:sum9: They sure are cute!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 3:49 pm 

Great Blog about a banding trip to a New Jersey island Peregrine nest: His name for the nest tower (similar to the one on Cobb island) made me laugh :egg11:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:21 pm 

Oh such a great story to tell his grand kids. Thanks so much DEF for posting it.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:57 pm 

BANGOR - One American Bald Eagle is flying high once again.
A great video here, it is great to know the female is well and out flying free again :egg20:
If it wasn't for those great neighborhood people watching and seeing something was wrong, then getting hold of the proper people, I hate to think what might have happened.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:05 pm 

kittenface wrote:
BANGOR - One American Bald Eagle is flying high once again.
A great video here, it is great to know the female is well and out flying free again :egg20:
If it wasn't for those great neighborhood people watching and seeing something was wrong, then getting hold of the proper people, I hate to think what might have happened.

:clap:

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 168 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next