Bird Cams Around the World

Peregrine Falcons, Eagles, Kestrels, Ospreys, Owls and Much, Much More!!!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:46 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: ORVILLE IN 2006
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:30 am 
Global Moderator

ORIGINAL POST BY RITA ~ Tue Jul 07, 2009 5:01 pm

Rita wrote:
Here are more cam images of Orville - these are from 2006. These cam images show Orville soaking up the sun on a mild Sunday afternoon in February.

FEBRUARY 25, 2006
Image.....Image

Image.....Image

Image.....Image

Image.....Image

Image.....Image

Image.....Image

Post subject: ORVILLE ON MARCH 19
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:36 am 
Global Moderator

ORIGINAL POST BY RITA ~ Tue Jul 07, 2009 5:05 pm

Oh, Beth, Orville was just so photogenic - such a cutie.

These 2 are from March. The 2nd cam image, Orville is facing the ledge cam while the insert nest box cam shows Victory inside the box.

MARCH 19, 2006
Image.....Image

Post subject: ORVILLE WITH HIS BABIES
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:40 am 
Global Moderator

ORIGINAL POST BY RITA ~ Tue Jul 07, 2009 5:11 pm

Such a protective daddy! He's just as cute as his babies!

APRIL 28, 2006
Image.....Image

MAY 4, 2006 - ORVILLE BROODING THE BABIES
Image.....Image

Image.....Image

Image.....Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:55 am 
Global Moderator

SusanE wrote:
Hey, Rita, I'm enjoying your adorable Orville photos.

skygirlblue wrote:
Thanks for all the wonderful words and pictures. Orville was just so darn cute!!....I cannot believe he is gone. I had no idea I was so attached to this pair...and now that our Sweet Orville is no longer with us..........and so unexpectedly. His life was so short but I am so glad that we all got to know him.....he's left beautiful children to carry on his legacy....and Scout is a strong girl. I'm sure once she recovers from her confusion and loss, that she will continue to grace the ledge and welcome someone new to share her life...I will try and follow her lead...but it will be very, very hard...These two will always be #1 in my heart...

Rita wrote:
There are 3 photo albums (with bunches of great cam images in all 3 albums!) from the 2003 Dayton nesting season when Orville (and his brother Wilbur) were hatched. You'll see their parents Mercury & Snowball (and see just how much Snowball does look like her grandmother Freedom!).

Here's the link:

http://gallery.pf.boonshoftmuseum.org/2003

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:10 am 
Global Moderator

yvonne bamford wrote:
This is so very sad & tragic for not only Scout but also for those of us who loved this beautiful couple.
One of MJ's songs that was sung at his Memorial Service today was GONE TO SOON!!! Very Appropiate for our Handsome Orville.!!!

gigi wrote:
Rita, thanks for your wonderful pictures and stories of Orville. You were right there from the beginning.

rosekk17 wrote:
I just got back from Town and Gift Streets - I just had to go there and see for myself if there were any traces of Orville's demise. I took a few pictures and you know it just dawned on me - I need to go back and take pictures of the street, the intersection etc so you see what the area looks like - just say it was a low income area and kind of scary to be there; I did speak to a couple of men one by what appeared to be a bar like place and a couple of men behind their house - they had no idea what I was talking about when I asked them if they knew anything about finding a falcon near the intersection - one man did not even know what a peregrine falcon was - I tried - I was at the hospital near by and almost asked one of the policemen in his van but decided not to - I still think I will though next time I go to visit my uncle there.

I then drove downtown and walked over the the statehouse and heard one of the falcons crying out but it seemed a little far off so I had no idea where it was coming from. One man sitting by the statehouse said hello to me and called me the 'bird lady' lol!!

I walked to the Rife Center and down towards the river, no sign of anyone not even on the ledge.

I wonder, how readily Scout will accept another male and not try to drive him off. I feel so badly for her.

I hope Irina and I can go down this weekend and check them out - she seems to be good at spotting them Good night all!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:13 am 
Global Moderator

skygirlblue wrote:
Thanks Rosekk17....I know this must be really difficult for you as well...I still cannot believe he is gone...

Catbird wrote:
Rosekk17 - Thanks so much for continuing to watch out for our Columbus falcons and for letting us know what you see. It must have been sad to see the intersection where poor Orville was found.

Rita - Thanks for posting the lovely pictures of Orville from years past. I only discovered the Columbus falcons in the last year or two when Orville was with Scout, so it was nice to see him prior to that. He was certainly one handsome guy!

Jane wrote:
I can remember when our original Dad was found injured in Harrisburg in December of 2004, and was most upset. I went downtown that night to find Mom sitting all alone. Wondered if she knew. When we learned that Dad would not be able to be released back downtown, many wondered what would happen. Within about 60 days, Little Dad appeared on the scene. For a while I had trouble accepting Little Dad, for our original Dad was a very special bird. He is the one who found Mom and he was also a wonderful father. Dad was placed at ZooAmerica in Hershey, and I went down there to see him. Got very misty seeing him in this big flight pen. A few years ago Dad escaped from the flight pen through a hole some squirrels had chewed, and to my knowledge has not ever been located. Obviously I still think about him, and wonder if he was able to survive.

skygirlblue wrote:
Thanks jane....I know how much you loved the Original Dad...I'm sure I will come to accept Scout's new mate..but for me, it will always be Scout and Orville, my most favorite falcon couple...

SusanE wrote:
Jane, I can feel your pain as it resembles mine in the loss of one of our favorite falcons. I'm glad your original Dad got free as that is how a falcon should be. You love the new member of the family . . . but it will never be like the original. Okay, I'm sobbing again, so I need to sign off.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:15 am 
Global Moderator

rosekk17 wrote:
skygirlblue wrote:
Thanks Rosekk17....I know this must be really difficult for you as well...I still cannot believe he is gone...

I know what you mean SGB - I can not understand what happened to him. I believe that he must have died on Friday night; the night of Red White and Boom - when I was in that area, there were hardly any cars - I only saw maybe 4 cars drive down Town Street while I was there. What would the chances be that he hit a car on a Saturday morning - slim to none is my theory. Unless a person is attuned to the falcons, they don't pay any attention to them. At work there was a hawk that was sitting 3 feet off the ground and people just walked right by it and dint even notice it.

I can't believe how quiet it is downtown - has any one seen Scout lately on the ledge? I wonder if she is out looking for him

rosekk17 wrote:
Susan, I know you are feeling so sad - especially after being here to watch Orville in person. I can feel your pain in your words. I felt very heartbroken when they found Yellow boy and Redgirl 2 years ago in Harrisburg. After watching them on the ledge and then to find out they had died - it was so hard. You never think that the adult falcons would be susceptible to such an untimely death like the juvies are.

Let your tears flow, Susan and all of us who loved Orville so much; it's a a step toward healing.

I am so glad that the policeman found him and he isn't laying somewhere in the weeds or worse whee he could have been run over by cars

SusanE wrote:
Thank you, rosekk. I know you are feeling the same pain, and many others as well. We will just have to get through it and find a way to open our hearts again to a new mate for Scout.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:18 am 
Global Moderator

Beth wrote:
Susan, rosekk...
I wonder if we could Google Orville's afternoon siesta site :love: and
show everyone where we found him during our fledge watch

SusanE wrote:
Beth, your wish is my command. Here is a photo of the Rhodes Tower with arrow pointing to where we found Orville on that first hot day taking his afternoon siesta. He was sitting tucked way back into the corner on that contraption (hoist?). Can't remember if rosekk17 got a picture of him.

Beth wrote:
Thank you so much Susan... :wink:
We could tell that a falcon (probably Orville) had picked that spot for some R&R because of the (white) area :roll:

Juanita wrote:
This is the photo I took not long after Bandit disappeared July 2003. That was Bandit's favorite perch!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:20 am 
Global Moderator

Juanita wrote:
Check out this link to see the WILD OHIO Peregrine Falcon issue. On the inside is a photo by Tim Daniel of Aurora - the first matriarch (mother of Roosevelt). There are 2 separate articles in this issue on falcons. The one on Columbus' falcons starts with a full page photo of Victory in flight.

http://www.flipseekllc.com/wildohio2007spring.html

SusanE wrote:
Well, that is pretty amazing that both Bandit and Orville chose the same spot to perch! Thanks for that photo, Juanita. I wonder if Orville could pick up his scent. In your pic, it shows white streaking down the wall of the building, and based on our observations with bins, that is falcon poop. There was also white streaking down the other wall to the right. BTW, any falcon sitting there cannot be seen from the 40th floor observation deck -- we tried!

Am going now to take a look at your link to the Wild Ohio falcons.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:24 am 
Global Moderator

Juanita wrote:
SusanE wrote:
Beth, your wish is my command. Here is a photo of the Rhodes Tower with arrow pointing to where we found Orville on that first hot day taking his afternoon siesta. He was sitting tucked way back into the corner on that contraption (hoist?). Can't remember if rosekk17 got a picture of him.

Susan, in 2003, the Columbus falcon cam website had a series of photos (taken by Tim Daniel) showing Donna Daniel right outside where Bandit (and Orville) loved to perch. I emailed Donna today to ask her if she remembered the photo (she did) but since the website was redone, many photos are gone. Anyway, this is what Donna says about the favorite perching place of Bandit and his great-great grandson Orville:

I remember the photo(s) you’re referring to. When we changed over websites that page got lost in the transition so I’m not sure that the photos exist anywhere now-unfortunately. The door I was looking out of was the door that goes out to the ledge, right behind the nest box. Bandit’s favorite perch is actually outside the conference room where we hold the banding. There were doors in the back of the room that went to a balcony. The apparatus the birds perch on are part of the equipment used to wash windows on the building. All of the “whitewash” on the building wall under the perch has built up over the years. It rarely rains from the east so that side of the building doesn’t get “cleaned” very often. Hence, lots of whitewash dating from when Bandit first “christened” it! Luckily, the building managers don’t mind.
:smile:

Beth wrote:
Oh wow Juanita, thank you so much for the background on
the favorite male "perch place" !

How cool is it that Bandit and his great-great grandson Orville both
selected that area for a hide-a-away :thumbup

SusanE wrote:
Juanita! That is such fascinating information and thanks for trying to get the photos from Donna Daniel.

heh heh heh, who but falcon lovers would be pleased that there was a build-up of generations of falcon poop on the walls of a building . . . ?

The Rhodes Tower should be honored.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:25 am 
Global Moderator

Joanne wrote:
I searched back through hundreds of pictures -- back to March 2008 wherein Scout had laid only one egg. I looked for this picture because this occured many times before the rest of the eggs were laid.

Orville wondering???

RIP ORVILLE, We will always remember you...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:26 am 
Global Moderator

skygirlblue wrote:
Thanks for trying to get the pics from Donna, juanita...and for the background on the poop perch...

I so remember that pose, joanne...Orville was just so cute....so many times we would catch him in the box...egg or no egg...staring at his feet/gravel/bug/anything....I always thought it was just so funny...He did it so much, it was almost a way to identify that the falcon in the box was Orville!!!

Post subject: Re: ORVILLE OF COLUMBUS, OHIO
PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:46 am 

I am just wandering through posts right now and I wanted to say a few words.
I have no pictures. Just memories. Most of them you have already mentioned but Orville was the only male I knew here, and he will always be in my memory for the way he showed Scout how to feed her little ones.
He is much like our resident male at Edmonton (Damon) , and I ma not looking forward to day he is not in Edmonton. Damon has had 3 females since I started watching. He and Miss Edmonton were insinc all the time . Miss Balzac was a first year mom and he showed her how to incubate and feed. And he also helped Miss Radisson the first year. He did more than his share of incubating and was a good provider. And thus was Orville.
I guess because of their similarities he will be dear to me. Orville was very patient.

When Miss Edmonton's mate went missing this year I witnessed the grief and confusion. I stayed there everyday and after 2 days when she finally realized she was alone she let out many falcon cries. .It was heart wretching , and she would fly around all his roosts and look and fly out to where he came from. she looked all over.
I am sure Scout did this also.

So many think that we humans are the only ones with emotions but I have witnessed and heard the various falcon calls and I guess this makes it much harder.

Orville ,you are among many great tericels and I know those of you in Columbus will have a hard time this spring. But always remember we need them to carry on. And they do it much easier than we do.

thanks for the memories.
Your falcon friend
BEv

( I did not realize I had already posted here. so much has happened in the last few months. i would like to leave this here anyway. thanksI)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:37 pm 

I was looking at my favorite photo's and I found this picture.
Every time I look at these pictures I feel so sad
I miss Orville

WWW.ZWIERSJE.COM

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:58 pm 
Site Admin

Don't feel bad....I feel so sad too....As this nesting season approaches, I find myself thinking alot about Orville and how much I miss him....such a wonderful picture...but does make me teary eyed...

Post subject: Re: HALL OF FAME
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:25 am 
Site Admin

Remembering the legendary "Mom"~Rachel Carson Nest~Harrisburg, PA

Eloquent words by Westwindchild

For eleven years we were privileged to observe on camera as she lived the life of a wild falcon. Officially identified by her leg band, #4/4, admirers from around the world referred to her affectionately as “Mom.” We were awed by her beauty, her graceful flight and her dazzling speed. We watched in amazement as she dashed across the sky in a hunting stoop, like feathered lightning.

We were touched by her tender devotion to her young, and her long-term attachments to her mates. We were thrilled by the courage and ferocity with which she defended her nest and her territory against intruders.

We learned so much through our observation of her life, and this only increased our desire to learn more about falcons, about birds, about the life all around us. Most of all, we were inspired by her to appreciate the delicate balance of nature, to see ourselves as part of the natural world rather than separate from it. She was beloved by thousands from around the world and her passing leaves an empty place in our hearts.

Mom will live on in our memory: majestic flyer, devoted partner, tender parent, skillful hunter, fierce defender, beautiful Peregrine Falcon. But her true legacy lives on in the 30 or more young who successfully fledged from her nest and survived to seek out their own nesting territories. May her line continue forever.

Symmetry
    By Westwindchild

Swift as a falcon is the passage of Time,
    Fleet-winged as it flies away behind us,
    Carrying our memories and moments as it goes,
    Taking them forever from our Now.
    A magic there is in this, that hurts heal,
    Hearts mend, joy returns, yet our love for those we’ve lost
    Remains fresh as the day our love began.

A season has passed since our Falcon fell;
    Since she disappeared into Mystery, unseen.
    Ironic, that. She lived her life on cam,
    Every event of her life observed and reported,
    By watchful eyes. Yet no eye witnessed the fatal moment;
    Her body lies undiscovered still.
    Unanswered questions all that remain.

Did she rise joyously to her last battle,
    Her alarm call a song of martial celebration?
    She never backed down once in her life
    From an intruder, gave no quarter in a fight.
    Would she ask for more for herself?
    Live by the talon, and die by the talon.
    That is the falcon way.

We knew the gift she was to us, treasured
    Each unfolding day of her reign
    As Queen of the Ledge. It was our privilege
    To have a glimpse into her world, to watch as
    She raised her young, from egg to fledge, and sent them
    Off to meet their own Future. We loved them all,
    Forty-four downy bundles of joy and heartbreak - and hope.

We have honored her memory, each alone and
    As one, carrying her with us in our hearts
    As Time bears her ever farther from our sight.
    With candles and flowers, poems and prayers, T-shirts and tattoos.
    A banner, a gathering, a sharing of memories,
    Her final gift, the friendships forged between us
    As we joined together to celebrate her life.

A season has passed since our Falcon fell;
    A season of firsts, at once bittersweet and hopeful.
    A new queen now rules the ledge, an adolescent
    Where majesty and grace once held sway.
    A new pairing, the first shiny red egg, and then
    A Little One. A life in payment for a life.
    The baton has been passed, the legacy lives on.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:35 am 

Beautiful SGB :cryinggirl:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:23 am 

Thanks so much MA for posting Sue's beautiful tribute to Mom on here. Sue had sent me her poem last week, and I think she had trouble getting it posted on here. It's still hard for me to accept that she's gone. I know there are many other devoted females out there, but to me Mom was one in a million. She was truly Falcon Perfection.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:07 am 

I too got this beautiful Poem a week or so ago. It brought tears to my eyes then and again when I just read it. Beautifully done SongBird! Thanks for sharing it with us.

so shall they teach us to learn compassion and how to live together in harmony.

Warrington, Pa.
Bucks County

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:04 am 
Site Admin

Sue did a beautiful job...and I was just so glad I was able to get it to post....I'll be moving some of the other posts over here as well...I've just gotta figure out how to do it, so it may take me a while...