Bird Cams Around the World

Peregrine Falcons, Eagles, Kestrels, Ospreys, Owls and Much, Much More!!!
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: POSTING TIPS & TRICKS
PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:55 am 

Have you discovered shortcuts to capturing pictures or posting comments or pictures, or tips for cam viewing? Please share them with everyone here. Also, if you are wondering if there is a more efficient way to do something relating to posting, ask here, & maybe someone knows a better way!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: POSTING TIPS & TRICKS
PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:59 am 

Great thread Nancy. I think we have some experts on this subject here!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:00 am 

The following tip was posted by Catbird in the "Forum Problems" topic:

FYI - I use PhotoBucket to reduce the size of my .jpg avatar file. In the Upload Images section of PB, just set the "Reduce to:" option to "100 x 75 (Tiny)" before you select your avatar image. After you upload your avatar in PB, it will be within the maximum dimensions for the forum avatar.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:15 am 

As most of you who watch the Virginia cams know, there are problems with trying to watch the cams using Internet Explorer. IE keeps crashing. If you use another browser, such as Firefox, this doesn't happen.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:24 am 

The following was posted by RichmondMike in the Richmond topic:
RichmondMike wrote:
BTW - one of the bestest functions of cam watching with FF is using the "Ctrl" and "+" buttons, which acts like a zoom and pumps up the image (allowing you to get crisp, clear and seemingly closer captures). If you want to back off a bit, use "Ctrl" and "-"...

And SGB added:

Guess what, you can do the same with IE...that is before it crashes...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:43 am 

When you capture a picture on certain sites (Alcoa, for example), the picture that you post ends up being way too large unless you take time to run it through a photo editor to resize it. Beth gave me a tip that I would like to share that will alleviate the huge picture and doesn't require that you run it through a photo editor before PhotoBucket.

PhotoBucket has options for resizing a picture which you can use for one upload, or save the option so that any uploads you do will use that size preference:

(a) For a one-time size selection, on the Upload Images & Video page, you can go to the "Reduce to" dropdown box and select the size you want your capture to be. **(b) If you want to select a certain size for a group of captures, click "more options" on the right side of the box. This will bring up the More Upload Options screen where you can select a size from a number of options. Once you select the option, remember to hit "save".

**(b) option...We would like to have either size -med or large- for picture posting.

Posting large pictures increases the amount of time it takes to upload to PhotoBucket, & also slows down the page loading process in the forum.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:00 am 

If you know of a post that has given a good tip, please copy it & post it here or PM me & I will bring it here! Thx from all of us!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:02 pm 
Site Admin

Here's a trick I sometimes use to resize a picture....I resize it BEFORE I even capture it. If your browser is Internet Explorer (and I'm sure other browsers will do this as well...) reduce or enlarge the size of your page....then capture the picture. In IE you can do it one of 3 ways.

1. Use Ctrl and + to increase.....Ctrl and - to decrease
    2. Look at the bottom right corner of IE....you will see a %. Click on the drop down menu and select your size or customize the size you want
    3. At the top of IE, look on your tool bar and find "page". In the drop down menu, select "zoom", and select your size.

After you're happy with the size, take your picture..

I do it this way so I don't have to resize in Photobucket..and wait for pages to load, etc...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:46 pm 

SGB, what version of IE are you using? I have IE 7 & don't have the drop-down box you refer to, so maybe you're using IE 8? :?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:26 pm 
Site Admin

catwoman wrote:
SGB, what version of IE are you using? I have IE 7 & don't have the drop-down box you refer to, so maybe you're using IE 8? :?

I'm using IE 7....are you talking about the drop-down menu from the "page" section or the bottom right? Actually, I use the Ctrl and +/- feature the most...I'll take a snapshot when I get home to show ya where I'm talking about..

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:36 pm 

OOPS! Now I see it on my taskbar...thx! :oops:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:37 pm 

skygirlblue wrote:
<<<SNIP>>> I use the Ctrl and +/- feature the most...I'll take a snapshot when I get home to show ya where I'm talking about..[/b]

I use CTRL and the scroll wheel of the mouse . . . . . works both in Firefox (3) ánd IE (7)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:40 pm 

Dutch Eagle Fan wrote:
skygirlblue wrote:
<<<SNIP>>> I use the Ctrl and +/- feature the most...I'll take a snapshot when I get home to show ya where I'm talking about..[/b]

I use CTRL and the scroll wheel of the mouse . . . . . works both in Firefox (3) ánd IE (7)

Son of a gun--I didn't know that one!

I'm using the minimize right now to view posts so that I don't have to use the scroll bar at the bottom of the page to read the posts!
:D

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:08 pm 
Global Moderator

catwoman wrote:
I'm using the minimize right now to view posts so that I don't have to use the scroll bar at the bottom of the page to read the posts! [/size] :D

What a great idea catwoman! I just used apple and - (the Mac equivalent of CTRL and -) to minimize the posts here and reduce scrolling. I'd never thought of that before.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:13 pm 
Site Admin

Gosh...I had totally forgotten about the mouse wheel...thanks DEF...I think the reason I don't use that one as much is because I go crazy with the scroll wheel and before I know it, I'm up to 500%...its scary!! :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:43 am 

SusanE wrote:
FYI: There is a "Mark Topics Read" and a "Mark Forums Read" link at the top right of most pages, so if you want to turn them off without reading, you can use that link.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:40 am 

While not a posting trick, I thought this site might be helpful for folks who have many favorite sites saved on their computer.

http://www.xmarks.com/

Foxmarks/ xmarks allows you to save all of your favorite websites on their website so you can access them if you are not at your own computer. I am always concerned about losing my long list of favorites if my computer crashes. This website provides you with a backup. Once you have signed up, it will automatically update any websites you add to your favorites list.
(You can access your favorites from work without having to save them to your work computer :P )

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:45 am 

Thanks, Obxbarb! Beth had posted this link before & I went back to look for it later but couldn't find it. Now I can get my bookmarks moved! :D

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:26 pm 

O Mi Gosh! - this is a GREAT thread - I am learning Sooooo much already that it will take me a little while to assimilate all the tips & tricks :hmmmm - thanks everyone for sharing :thankyou

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 6:11 pm 
Global Moderator

If someone posts a link and does not convert it to the falcon button, you can still open it in a new window if you wish. Just right-click on the link and select "Open in New Window."

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next