Bird Cams Around the World

Peregrine Falcons, Eagles, Kestrels, Ospreys, Owls and Much, Much More!!!
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 167 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: Your suggestions or forum concerns
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:44 am 

Hello, I just found this beautiful forum.

If anyone is interested in learning about what goes on in a wildlife hospital, please let me know. Currently, I have a thread started in another forum and would be glad to post about it here.

I've been working at International Bird Rescue Research Center in California since 2007. It is also the headquarters for Oiled Wildlife Care Network. We rehabilitate sick and injured wild birds, with an emphasis on aquatic birds. We also wash all oiled wildlife (except marine mammals) after an oil spill.

My thread would describe what goes on in the hospital: intaking a bird, rehabilitation, releases, etc. And yes, I have some pictures and videos to link to.

If this would be an appropriate topic of interest here, perhaps one of your Admins could contact me by PM.

-- Jean

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:25 am 
Global Moderator

beans - I'm so glad that you found our forum! Your work with wildlife sounds fascinating, and I'm sure that most (if not all) of us here would love to learn about what goes on in a wildlife hospital. I'm looking forward to your future posts.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:33 am 
Global Moderator

:grwelcome beans!

I agree 100% with Catbird, so glad you found us!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:14 am 

Welcome Beans, & I agree that most (if not all) of us would be very interested in hearing of your work! :grwelcom

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:44 pm 

I'll start posting as soon as the thread is set up. I'm not sure where it will be, but perhaps it makes sense to put it in the sub-forum named "Everything you wanted to know...." I suggested the name of the thread as Wildlife Rehabilitation. Up to now, I've been trained to work with aquatic birds, but my new training and association with Lindsay Wildlife Museum means that I'll be working with other wildlife, too. And yes, I am still at International Bird Rescue Research Center.

Can any of you identify my avatar?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:41 pm 
Global Moderator

:?: I need help beans, maybe a BCAW member/friend knows!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:01 pm 

I see that you are a Common Loon, which is the largest of all loons. This loon must be carefully handled, as he is very sensitive. He should have minimal handling and viewing in the wildlife hospital, so he won't heat up. When he overheats, he can die. Right now, his breeding plumage is emerging. A pelagic bird, he spends most of his time on the water. His legs are toward the back of his body, and he's very awkward on land. But in the water, he is magnificent! When he's in hospital, he will be kept in a net-bottomed pen, so there is less pressure on his keel. These birds can quickly develop keel and hock and feet sores when out of the water. But I digress. You'll find out more in my new thread. :)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:52 pm 
Site Admin

Hello everyone...I have added a new forum under "Everything you always....".....Wildlife Conservation & Rehabilitation!!! Beans, I so look forward to reading about all your experiences...as well as the experiences of the other rehabbers on our forum. Can't wait...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:21 pm 
Global Moderator

This is such a wonderful idea, and I too look forward to reading the posts by beans and all of our wonderful BCAW members who work in wildlife rehabilitation. :funstuff:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:25 pm 
Global Moderator

beans wrote:
Can any of you identify my avatar?

It is a type of Grebe?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:35 pm 

Yes! It is a Clark's Grebe, which looks very much like a Western Grebe. The Clark's looks like he is wearing a little beret (his eye is surrounded by white feathers beneath dark feathers). The Western's eye is surrounded by dark feathers. Then there's the Pied-billed Grebe, Horned Grebe, Least Grebe, Red-necked Grebe....

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:06 pm 
Global Moderator

:thankyou Here's a big THANKS to SGB for setting up the new "Wildlife Conservation & Rehabilitation" topic and to beans for all those wonderful new posts there. It was really fascinating - and heartwarming - to read about all that's being done to save the birds at the International Bird Rescue Research Center in California!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: My suggestion: add RSS feeds to the board
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:05 pm 

Hi all !!

There's something I would very much like to have in this board. I usually track or follow many blogs, websites, etc and it takes a lot of time. To save time, the best solution is using a RSS Agregator/Client, and in a few minutes you can see what new posts exist, and read what seems interesting, or perhaps bookmark them some way to read later. And besides, I usually do it with my mobile device (be it mobile phone, PDA, iPhone, etc), so I download the index at home (via wifi) and then it's more comfortable to read while on the bus, waiting for the train...

So, my suggestion is: it would be really great to have RSS feeds for individual subjects or forums (or, at least, for the whole board). That makes it easier to follow what happens in many nests, and saves a lot of time.

What do you think about that? :?:

Bye !!

JL

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: My suggestion: add RSS feeds to the board
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:15 am 

jlroc wrote:
Hi all !!

There's something I would very much like to have in this board. I usually track or follow many blogs, websites, etc and it takes a lot of time. To save time, the best solution is using a RSS Agregator/Client, and in a few minutes you can see what new posts exist, and read what seems interesting, or perhaps bookmark them some way to read later. And besides, I usually do it with my mobile device (be it mobile phone, PDA, iPhone, etc), so I download the index at home (via wifi) and then it's more comfortable to read while on the bus, waiting for the train...

So, my suggestion is: it would be really great to have RSS feeds for individual subjects or forums (or, at least, for the whole board). That makes it easier to follow what happens in many nests, and saves a lot of time.

What do you think about that? :?:

Bye !!

JL

Jlroc, that sounds like a great idea :!:

JAZZEL ;)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:43 pm 
Site Admin

Just an FYI to everyone regarding jlroc's suggestion (and I pm'd her directly). Having a RSS feed, while a great idea, is not a standard feature for PhpBB...I will need to research how something like this can be added...

In the meantime...for immediate notification of new posts, you can choose "Subscribe Topic" (located at the top, left of every forum) of any forum you wish to follow...I've had no problem with this function...in fact, it was working so well, I had to unsubscribe because I was receiving so many emails everytime someone posted a message....it was OUT OF CONTROL! :sfyea:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:59 pm 
Global Moderator

Another thing people can do every time they log in is to click the link View new posts located in the top right underneath the date and time. This will bring up any posts made throughout the entire forum since the last time you were logged on.

There is also a "Bookmark topic" option to satisfy jlroc's comment of wishing to "perhaps bookmark them some way to read later" This link is top left above the first message within any topic.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:55 pm 

skygirlblue wrote:
Just an FYI to everyone regarding jlroc's suggestion (and I pm'd her directly). Having a RSS feed, while a great idea, is not a standard feature for PhpBB...I will need to research how something like this can be added...

Hi :wildman:

ATOM Feeds is one of new features implemented in phpBB 3.0.6

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:48 pm 
Site Admin

Ploughboy wrote:
skygirlblue wrote:

Hi :wildman:

ATOM Feeds is one of new features implemented in phpBB 3.0.6

yes...thanks, ploughboy...I discovered that the other day...its just a matter of me upgrading from 3.05 to .06...since upgrading to 3.05 was a nightmare for me, I've been putting off...I still haven't recovered... :hahah

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 3:57 pm 

skygirlblue wrote:

yes...thanks, ploughboy...I discovered that the other day...its just a matter of me upgrading from 3.05 to .06...since upgrading to 3.05 was a nightmare for me, I've been putting off...I still haven't recovered... :hahah

Hi SGB

Don't worry,,,,it's only blood, sweat & tears,,,,, and perhaps a lot of "sympathy" from 175 users...

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 4:41 pm 
Site Admin

You're too funny, ploughboy....but I don't think I will get alot of sympathy if I crash the forum....and for those of you who have been around from the beginning, know I am capable of doing that....now that was a nightmare...thank goodness for backups!!!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 167 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next