Bird Cams Around the World

Peregrine Falcons, Eagles, Kestrels, Ospreys, Owls and Much, Much More!!!
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 346 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next
 Post subject: Re: LILY THE BLACK BEAR 2011
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:22 pm 

:girlsad3: After reading the msnbc article, and the latest FB update, I am still so overwhelmed with sadness and anger, as I know my fellow posters must also be. From the article, it appears the hunter may have known it was our beloved Hope. It sickens me so if that is the case, even though he had legal rights. And I am very frustrated, though I know the researchers are hurting now too, that Hope wasnt painted or ear tagged or something, I found the reasoning unacceptable to those not scientists. Dont want to say anything hurtful at this time, out of respect. I dont think after losing Hope that I can watch bearstudy's videos, or continue to follow Lily and Faith. Unless efforts are made continuously to get and keep Faith used to collars, her outlook could be the same. Dear sweet Hope, life will never be the same without you in it.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44673854

http://www.facebook.com/lily.the.black.bear

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:12 am 
Site Admin

I have just finished reading today's update, all the comments, and the several news articles. It is really hard to believe that Hope is gone. Tho' they have not received the official word that Hope was shot, they all believe she was killed at the bait station. Since Lily, Hope, and Faith visited that station for 3 days in a row, I strongly suspect that the hunter knew the identity of the bear he shot. I don't think I will ever be able to accept hunting, even though I know intellectually it is sometimes best for the health of a herd...I just know that all those that worked with Hope must be devastated....just so sad... :cryinggirl:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:00 am 

After reading tonight's update, I feel confused. Of all the bears to be taken, I can't believe it was Hope. I also agree the hunter probably knew who she was, especially since bears have their "own" territories and this person knew where they were baiting.

Lily and her family have opened my eyes to bears and I've been amazed by their activities. I'm devastated over the loss of Hope, but wonder if "other" forces were at work here. She had such a hard start in life. I'm grateful she reunited with Lily and was such a devoted big sister to Faith & Jason. I just pray she did not suffer and that Lily & Faith did not witness her death. I know I'm applying human thoughts here, but can't stand the thought of her suffering or what they may have seen.

My confused feelings come over the baiting issue. I have been thinking how cowardly to bait and wait for these animals, but after reading the update tonight, I can see why it might be more humane if they do bait. Regardless, I don't personally believe in hunting, especially bears.

I really do feel for the researchers. They spent so many hours with her and touched her. All I got to do was watch her through the webcam and the posted videos. They understood her personality and got to see her in action. They must be feeling the "what-ifs" over this. Even if they had collared her, maybe that hunter would have taken the shot regardless. Maybe that hunter felt they had a nasty point they wanted to prove. Just like what happened to Sarah bear last year, the shooter saw the ribbons and took the shot anyway. And what they must be feeling about that hunter right now. It must be such an internal conflict.

So unfortunately, and as much as I hate saying this, maybe this eventual outcome was in the stars for Hope. Maybe there was nothing anyone could have done, except for the hunter, to prevent her death.

RIP Hope.

:cryinggirl: :tissue: :cryinggirl:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:36 am 
Site Admin

Very well put, mwplay...I would like to believe in my heart of hearts that the hunter was not aware of who he was shooting and is feeling tremendous remorse right now. I would hate to think that he is currently bragging to his friends that he killed the world famous bear, Hope.

After reading up on bait stations, if there are going to be hunts, then that does appear to be the most humane way to go. I will never understand hunting (except to feed your family). My uncles were avid hunters (when I was little, I would tell them they couldn't tell their "stories" when I was around...), but they always ate what they killed...never once did I see anything stuffed or mounted when visiting their houses...

What does a bear hunter do with a bear they've killed other than taxidermy?

sorry, I'm just rambling here...I do hope DNR and/or the hunter will provide the needed information so that we can bring closure to all of this...my heart just breaks for all those who knew her so intimately...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:13 am 
Global Moderator

Article about Hope in the L.A. Times
September 26, 2011 | 4:04 pm

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/nationn ... illed.html

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:46 am 

Beth thanks for that article it does show this from all sides I guess but it doesn't make it any easier

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:41 pm 

Whether a hunter shoots a peregrine falcon or a black bear, I still find it offensive. Hunting animals for profit and pleasure seems cowardly, to me. At least with human battles, both sides are aware of what is going on, and how to respond. And these hunters apparently targetted these bears, as others target peregrine falcons. Hunters always say things like it is good for these animals, it helps to control the population, etc. Well, you could say the same thing about us: too many of us, no controls on breeding, spread disease, take up too much space. In the last century, humans killed off or greatly reduced the numbers of many species, and some are barely hanging on. The hunting argument strikes me as ridiculous, especially in this century. It is time for change.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:11 pm 

Link to article/blog written by TR Michels.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:23 pm 
Global Moderator

:cryinggirl:

Thanks for the link mwplay...I get so mad when I think
they knew what they were doing and didn't care. :gaaaaah:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:37 pm 
Global Moderator

Mini update from Lily fb page 2pm
Facts come in...

We never received confirmation from the MN DNR, but early this morning we heard directly from the hunter who killed Hope. We appreciate him contacting us.

This is what we know.
Hope was killed on the evening of Friday the 16th. She came into his bait site alone and the hunter had no clue it was Hope. The hunter is known to us and has cooperated with us in the past. He would never shoot a collared bear and would not have deliberately shot Hope. He also is not a member of the ‘Bounty’ page and has never posted there.

There has been some confusion due to the fact we posted on Sept 17th that the family was fine. We, in fact, did not see Hope or Faith on the 17th. Sue found Lily alone and changed her GPS. Lily walked away grunting and tongue-clicking. We assumed Hope and Faith were together nearby (which is often the case) and Lily was going to them. We had no reason to believe otherwise.

Please respect our desire to keep the hunter’s name confidential. Attacks on him or hunters in general will only serve to undermine our potential for future research and education. We will provide another update later today with additional information.

September 27, 2011 3:19 PM

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:57 pm 

Rest in Peace you beautiful little girl. I watched you from birth, you gave me joy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:01 pm 
Global Moderator

I know Pat, we watched her being born...
Gosh this is hard :tissue:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:33 pm 
Site Admin

Unfortunately, its official.. :cryinggirl: :cryinggirl: .I just finished reading all the comments...a sad, sad day...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:41 pm 

If the guy is SUPPOSED to be an experienced hunter. he is SUPPOSED to know what size bears are at each age. I'm no expert but have been learning by watching USEEWILDIFE cams. He HAD to have known he was killing a Yearling, never mind that it was our Hope, it could have been any yearling. I think he should be dealt with IMHO

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:02 pm 
Global Moderator

I am so sorry, everyone. I know your pain. We will never understand. Hugs to all who loved Hope.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:56 pm 

Carly - agree.

I thought I was okay with this...mentally...obviously not. As I'm fixing food for my dogs, I realize how much this hurts. Thoughts about how Hope would have been as a mother are fluttering through my head. She was so good with Jason & Faith. I remember watching when they were born, thinking, she was going to hurt them.. I could not have been farther from the truth. And that beautiful picture posted here of Lily, Hope & Faith walking along keeps sticking in my head. So beautiful. I know people are afraid of bears, I would be too if I came upon one. I can't blame them, but doesn't mean we can't acknowledge the beauty and tenderness these animals show towards each other.

After reading the TR Michels blog post this morning, and then thinking about what was posted today, I totally agree, this is the researchers trying to calm the waters. Doubtful Hope wandered so far away from Lily that she ended up at someone elses bait site - this is probably the guy.

And another point I want to add... People are posting on Lily's page, "this is what you get for habituating wild animals"... BS in my opinion. If that was the case, they wouldn't have as many bears killed as they would smell "human" on the bait and run the other way. That's not what is going on here. Even though the radio collared bears may be "habituated" to the researchers, doubtful they would freely accept someone else walking up to them.

Just a shame.

:tantrum2: :tissue:

Gosh... I need a life

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:52 pm 

TR Michels is a member of USeewildlife also He does bear study too when he is not in too much pain

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:35 pm 
Site Admin

I'm done...I have too many conflicting emotions to sound civilized!!! Another update posted...it doesn't read any better than the others...if anything it feeds my anger...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:06 am 

This is beautiful

http://www.flickr.com/groups/1379701@N2 ... 635001985/

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:45 am 

Thank you Pat

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 346 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next