Bird Cams Around the World

Peregrine Falcons, Eagles, Kestrels, Ospreys, Owls and Much, Much More!!!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 346 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next
 Post subject: Re: LILY THE BLACK BEAR 2011
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:57 am 
Global Moderator

Pat-thanks so much...very nice

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:51 am 
Global Moderator

Oooooh, Beth, I love your new avatar. :girlluv:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:20 am 

:tissue: I am so very sorry to read this I was praying it wasn't her

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:21 am 

Ugh. I am so sorry for everyone who watched these bears all day, just to have it end in such a sad way. Unlike falcons and eagles, it is legal to shoot bear, so there is no recourse. Unfortunately, we see plenty of people shooting falcons and eagles even with it not being legal, and they almost never get caught. Hopefully the declines in hunting everywhere will slow down killing of all animals for the next generation. In the meantime, maybe the bear scientists will find a way to get a protected research area or mark their bears in a different way to protect their research.

Super sad :cryinggirl: :cryinggirl:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:25 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks for the link to the picture diary of this family...and Beth, that avatar is way too cool!!!

I personally am staying away from any more updates on the Facebook page, so if anything major happens, I'll look for it here...Reading everything just really makes me so sad...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:48 pm 

I am done with the bear cam. Following Hope since she was born & falling in love with this family only to have Hope killed is just too much! When I read that they couldn't keep a collar on Hope, I was hoping they would try something else, like non-toxic paint. Or if nothing else, capture her & keep her at the bear center until hunting season is over. But its too late for that now & we've lost the first bear born on webcam, our sweet little Hope... :tissue:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:08 pm 

I feel exactly the same. I am beside myself each day, there is nothing to console me. I know Miss Sue and Lynn must be hurting, and I have held back posting my true thoughts, but you have summed most of them up. We have lost our first dencam baby, our precious Hope, our Princess Hope. I feel kind of like when I see parents letting their 2 yr olds run ahead of them into the street, or not belting their children in the proper seat belts or car seats. I want to scream at them "at what point, did you forget that this is your most precious possession?????" or "how did it get by you???". I do not want to add to their hurt or blame, but they have had 2 yrs to figure out a way to keep Hope safe. From their comments the other day, they feel they did enough in trying during the hunting season to collar her. Last season, she had a collar and ribbons on, but without any physical contact the past year, refused. At what point did they decide to just "chance it" , that painting was "interfering with their ability to remain scientific research"? Or why not ear-tag as others have? All the $$$ Hope brought could have been spent lobbying for them to be allowed to ear tag her or tranquilize to collar. I see on shows all the time where the radio collars are tight enough NO animal gets them off. And THEIR batteries last 2 years, so there is no need to keep tranquilizing the animal to change out batteries, or have physical interractions with them. Why dont they use that kind? So basically, the "research" part is only reading the GPS tracking, and the webcam reports. Nobody is really walking with them during hunting like we thought. I hope all the people giving money realize that they are stubbornly insisting their opinions and beliefs are the only ones that count, and they will not listen to the people who support their efforts. I do not want to post these words at this time, but I have to. I have to say it and I am sorry if anyone is offended or hurt. We have lost our most precious possession, our Hope. And if nothing changes, Faith faces the same rules next year.

Sorry for this post, but I truly feel inconsolable right now. :tissue:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:01 pm 
Global Moderator

LeeLee, I honestly feel your pain and my hugs to you. ((((( ))))) I feel your frustration . . . more than you will ever know . . . as it comes from a different venue and a different angle, but please know that I know what you are going through and I hope you can feel my arms around you during this suffering. :bughug:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:29 pm 

:bughug: Back at you, Susan. Thanks for the kind words. ((( hugs ))) Much appreciated.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:11 am 

Thanks for posting the link Carly.

Finally some truth. Doesn't sound like he's got any political agenda in this whole situation and is saying it like it is.

I realize the researchers are walking a fine line because they are at the mercy of the DNR.

Some people..... :furious:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:11 pm 

After reading the latest update, I realize I must move on because there is someone hurting even more than us or the researchers, and that is Hope's mommie Lily. It is heartbreaking to know she is still looking for her, expecting Hope to come back to her. And it sounds like the lack of 2 nursing, the emotional upset, along with denning time coming, has combined and shrank up her milk teats. I hope there is enough for little Faith still. Dear Lily, I will now put forth efforts to send you "peaceful vibes" to give you rest of your search, and let little Faith draw you in closer to her, and find peace there.

Now knowing how Lily has been hurting, I feel selfish to continue grieving, and will have to find my own peace. I hope all my fellow viewers and posters can too. Thx for listening, and (((hugs))) to all of you.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:55 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks for the link, Carly...a very interesting read and he brings up excellent points, many of which have been running through my mind.

I too feel for Lily and Faith, LeeLee...and have been worried about how they are handling Hope's disappearance. If they are anything like our own pets, you know they both must feel bewildered and are aware of her absense. I know we must all move on from this, but I pray Lily and Faith will move on quickly. I haven't been back to Lily's Facebook page and did not know about her shrinking teats...that can't be a good thing, especially going into denning..I would imagine that Faith is going to need that nourishment during the winter. Let's hope that Lily's body can recover and adjust...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:39 pm 

A memorial was held on FB for Hope tonight. The following tribute video was from a link at the memorial. Our sweet Hope, innocently playing with the collar she refused to wear, and the words sum up the unbelievable loss so many are feeling.

Link to video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEf26c2g ... ture=share

Link to Hope's page on the RainbowBridge Residency:
http://rainbowsbridge.com/residents/HOP ... sident.htm

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 1:15 am 
Site Admin

Thanks for the links, LeeLee...what beautiful tributes...as I was watching the video, I came across this one as well... :girlsad3:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 8:05 am 
Global Moderator

I wish the killer . . . errr . . . hunter could be forced to watch these videos. :cryinggirl:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:29 pm 
Global Moderator

I just found out. I am horrified.

I can not understand this. IMO; spiritually, it is a heinous act.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 11:24 pm 

Lily & Faith cam have gone live

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 7:54 am 

Lily and Faith’s Den Cam Installed!
Lily and Faith hardly stirred at the sound of “It’s me, bear.” They were busy nursing—a surprise—and they kept doing it. We slid the Den Cam tube into place while Sue watched from New Hampshire and provided feedback on adjustments. The Den Cam is the big white tube to the left in the picture. We installed the Pan-Tilt-Zoom (PTZ) camera where it can swivel to the den entrance and over to a big white pine they bedded next to a lot in the fall.
Bill Powers of Pix Controller tested the PTZ camera from Pennsylvania while we were in the field. We slid the microphone down a little crevice where it should get little attention from the bears. A gray cross of smaller boards holds it in place to the right in the picture. Bill Powers of PixController worked from Pennsylvania with Jim Stroner on site to adjust the sound. The picture of the setup was taken from the position of the PTZ camera, so that’s the view we will all get in spring. The white pine is just out of the picture to the right.
Big wolf tracks were at the entrance. We wish we had the den cam in a few days ago to catch their reaction to a wolf pack. Maybe the pack will return or maybe they know it’s a secure bear den and nothing to bother about again.
The Lily and Faith Den Cam can be seen at http://www.bear.org/livecams/lily-faith-cam.php .
It was a lot warmer today than the shivering experience of a couple weeks ago. And Lynn was dressed warmer, thanks in part to gifts and hand-me-downs. A group of Lily fans sent him a fleece-sweater that he wears all the time now, and another Lily fan sent a neck warmer that goes will with the sweater. Another fleece layer and a set of long john’s were a gift from Patagonia 21 years ago, still perfect. The coat is a hand-me-down from a vice-president of Elan Ski Company. Lynn loves the coat but is waiting for the vice-president to wear out another one just as good. The hat was designed and made in Ely by polar explorers Paul and Sue Schurke of Wintergreen Designs. Paul was a supporter when Lynn was trying to win sustainable management for Minnesota’s last 2% of white pine trees, which was another case of “first they laugh, then they think, and then they say ‘of course.’ (see www.whitepines.org)
We were surprised to find Lily and Faith nursing. We’d heard that only rarely with yearlings before the Den Cams. So the question is, “Do the Den Cams make them nurse more, or did we usually miss it because bears that didn’t trust us would stop nursing before we got close enough to hear it?” We’d say the right answer is the latter, and learning about yearlings nursing is one of the benefits of this trust-based research. We are so glad that a few bears have learned to ignore us and go about their business. Lily is especially good because we spent many hours at the entrance of her mother June’s den when Lily was a newborn cub. Lily got used to us visiting her then and she accepts us at other dens now. What an opportunity!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:00 am 
Global Moderator

Thank you Pat, wish our Hopie-girl was still with us. :girlsad3:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 7:54 pm 

Well, I tried to post twice before, and took so long choosing my words and editing carefully, that I timed out both times LOL. So here it is short, and in a nutshell. I probably wont watch the den cam much since I dont want to get attached or emotionally involved with Faith.

I am still unhappy with the way the researchers handled things with Hope, and she was their first internet dencam cub born, internationally known, bringing in more $$ to them than Lily by herself ever did, and yet there was no continual efforts to make her safe. In fact, their debt is 0 now. Even after death, she will bring in money through their calendars, ornaments and such bearing her picture. Me, I cannot bear to see her beautiful face without tearing up - I wont be buying any of those items. I will not support their efforts financially until they address keeping the yearlings safe properly. I dont know if it will ever be what it could have been with Hope.

Lynn said that Hope's death was a tragedy, that losing Hope was not the end, it is a hurdle. I am still haunted by those words.

These are just my comments, and I do not want to take away from anyone else's enjoyment in watching the cam.

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 346 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next