Bird Cams Around the World

Peregrine Falcons, Eagles, Kestrels, Ospreys, Owls and Much, Much More!!!
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:26 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 374 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next
 Post subject: Re: HARRISBURG ~ DECEMBER
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:32 am 

BevB wrote:
"Hello BevB and Welcome to BCAW! Glad you have joined us.

How long does a falcon live in the wild? Well, it varies, but Kinney at the Indianapolis nest lived to be 19. He held his territory for 18 of those years, until his death this year."

Thanks for the welcome. I have been watching the falcons in Harrisburg - I live right across the Susquehanna River from there - for years and have been reading this forum for quite a while.

That's impressive that Kinney in Indianapolis held his territory for so long. Hope Lil Dad can do that, too, but you always worry when a new falcon shows up.

The peregrine re-introduction program has worked so well that we are seeing more and more visits from peregrines into other peregrines' nesting territories now. Its kind of a double-edged sword. Sometimes the "visiting" bird is just chased out of the territory, but other times there is a fight. The general consensus among the people on this forum is that additional nest boxes need to be set up to cut down on the battles.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:42 am 
Global Moderator

WELCOME BEVB!

YES, LIL DAD IS 9 AND WILL BE 10 YEARS OLD COME NEXT SEASON. HE IS THE SAME AGE AS NIECEY'S FATHER, LOL! NIECEY'S FATHER FLEDGE FROM THE GIRARD POINT BRIDGE IN PHILA IN 2003 AND IN 2009 HE HAD HIS OWN NEST ON THE PA/NJ TURNPIKE BRIDGE WHERE NIECEY FLEDGED IN 2009. SHE IS 3 YEARS OLD AND WILL BE 4 COME NEXT SEASON :-)

WOW, DIDN'T REALIZE IN MY VIDEO I POSTED, NIECEY CAME BACK, WENT IN THE SCRAPE AND LIL DAD WAS BOWING TO HER FROM THE SHIELD AND THEN SHE ACTUALLY FLEW AT HIM! WONDER WHAT THAT WAS ABOUT? THAT CRAZY GIRL! SO THEN SHE WAS ON THE SHIELD AND WENT DOWN TO SIT ON THE STICK. SO GLAD I CLEARLY SAW LIL DAD'S BLING WHEN HE WAS ON THE SHIELD. SO THAT WAS NIECEY THAT FLEW OVER TO THE UNIV, NOT LIL DAD. GOOD THING FOR THESE VIDEOS SO WE CAN TELL EXACTLY WHAT'S GOING ON, LOL! YOU TURN YOUR HEAD FOR A MINUTE AND COULD MISS SOMETHING!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:44 am 
Global Moderator

OH LOOK AT THAT, THEY ARE BOTH BACK AGAIN! LIL DAD ON STICK, NIECEY ON SHIELD!

NOW WHAT HAPPENED? I TYPED ABOVE AND CAME BACK TO FIND LIL DAD BY THE COLUMN AND NIECEY GONE! GEEZE!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:08 am 

Neicey sure is a different bird than NG and Mom. Seems so independent and unpredictable - but nonetheless, I enjoy all the posts, pictures and videos you all put up. I travel quite a lot over the country officiating at horse shows and love being able to keep up with the falcons when I'm gone!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:21 am 
Global Moderator

I'M REALLY CONFUSED NOW, I DIDN'T SEE BANDS ON THIS ONE AND HE EVEN FLEW OFF AND DID SOME FANCY FLYING AS FAR AS I CAN TELL? SORRY IT'S CHOPPY, I'M REALLY TAXING MY LAPTOP NOW WITH ALL THE RECORDINGS AND ALL GOING ON ALL AT ONCE.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:57 am 
Global Moderator

I'M POSITIVE THAT IS LIL DAD ON THE SHIELD FOR SUCH A LONG TIME. I THINK HE IS SHOWING THIS IS HIS LEDGE! I'M STILL THINKING THAT IT JUST MIGHT HAVE BEEN NB THAT SHOWED UP EARLIER. I JUST DON'T HAVE TIME TO STUDY THESE VIDEOS. I WILL UPLOAD THEM ALL AND YOU ALL CAN SEE WHAT YOU THINK.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:03 pm 
Global Moderator

DON'T KNOW WHAT LIL DAD JUST SAW, BUT LOOKED LIKE HE JUST SAW SOMETHING AND TOOK OFF.

I NEED TO GO NOW, WILL KEEP THE RECORDER ON THOUGH. WISH I WAS DOWNTOWN TODAY!!!

EDIT: WELL WHATEVER HE WENT AFTER, HE'S BACK NOW.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:32 pm 

Alison wrote:
Birdlady wrote:
heida wrote:
PA Cast is the live video and PA Falcon Cam-Connecting You with PA Wildlife is the still cam. That's the one that's stuck. I checked several times today and didn't see any falcons. Maybe Lil Dad took Niecey away with him for a while. Hopefully not.

Where do I find the PA Cast? All I have is the PA Falcon Cam.

Try this link:

THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:25 pm 
Global Moderator

SOMEONE WAS JUST ON THE LEDGE CHUPPING, SAW ANOTHER FALCON FLYBY AND THAT ONE TOOK OFF AND WENT OVER TOWARDS THE UNIV. I SURE WONDER IF BOTH MALES AREN'T UP THERE TODAY! DON'T HAVE TIME TO GO UP THOUGH :-(

OK, JUST SAW A FALCON FLYING AROUND BETWEEN 333 AND THE UNIV. I SURE HOPE JANE DOES GET TO GO DOWN THERE AND SEE IF SHE SEES ANYTHING!

OK, 12:27, FALCON JUST LANDED ON THE LEDGE AGAIN AND IS ON THE STICK. NOT SURE WHO, I HAVE TO GO, BUT WILL KEEP VIDEO RUNNING HOPEFULLY!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:08 pm 

Good grief, looks like I've missed all the action this morning. Well I have been up for a couple of hours. :oops: Love the videos and that early morning shot. Was just watching somebody on the stick, think maybe Niecey.

:welcome BevB

Oops something going on now on cam.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:18 pm 

Well seemed like a little unusual flying activity going on but couldn't tell who was who.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:24 pm 

I don't know, maybe Lil' Dad on the ledge just now and somebody buzzed by and I could see their reflection in that little pool of water there.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:30 pm 

I believe that's Niecey on the stick. Saw her come in. She's so much bigger than Lil Dad.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:55 pm 

WOW! I have been entertaining family and missed all the action these couple of days. Thanks for that different web address. Reenie thanks for all your taping and video's. These two, ( three) are keeping us guessing? Nothing is boring right now!!

:happynewyear: HAPPY NEW YEAR ALL!!!!!!!

Welcome BevB!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:56 pm 
Global Moderator

THE WAY NIECEY IS ON AND OFF THE STICK, I DEF THINK SOMETHING IS GOING ON.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:58 pm 

She's been sitting there for a while.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:01 pm 

My last post was at 1:30 and she's still there. That's when I saw her land in the left hand corner of the picture. I Think I saw a green band on the left leg the way she's sitting. A big gust of wind came and she almost fell off.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:50 pm 

Went to brunch with friends in uptown Harrisburg, so stopped downtown around 3:00 this afternoon. Didn't see anything that remotely resembled a falcon. :-( Would have liked to stay longer, but that wind goes right through the warmest clothing I own. Of course now somebody is on the stick. Looks like Niecey, but not sure. And now I think it's a male. Did a really healthy poop shot about two minutes ago.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:58 pm 

Earlier when I thought it was Niecey on the stick it was Lil' Dad, then later when I thought Lil' Dad, it was Niecey. Niecey there now and she has seemed jumpy all day.

Here are shots comparing the two. Now if I can just remember .

Sorry Jane that you hit it at the wrong time to see anybody. It looks super cold there with the wind. :coldwinter:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:07 pm 

Now I wish I had stayed in the glass enclosure on the garage roof. Was trying to see what that thing is on the U Building ledge, but there's no way to see it from the street or the garage roof. Wind chill is about 25 degress here.

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 374 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next