Bird Cams Around the World

Peregrine Falcons, Eagles, Kestrels, Ospreys, Owls and Much, Much More!!!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:42 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 245 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: WILDLIFE CONSERVATION & REHABILITATION ~ 2012-2013
PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:07 pm 

WOW! Thanks for sharing all the info DEF.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:41 pm 

DNR Removes Gray Wolves, Bald Eagles From Endangered Species List

Bald Eagle, Department Of Natural Resources, DNR, Gray Wolf, Rick Baker, Snapping Turtles, Wolf, Wolves
Today's Most Popular Video

St. Cloud Grandma Makes Snowman In August Wild Goalie Josh Harding Raising Awareness Of MS Body Image A Concern As Kids Go Back To School Disc Golf's Popularity Exploding, For Better & Worse Spirit Airlines Announced 4 More Non-Stop City Locations
ST. PAUL, Minn. (WCCO) – The Department of Natural Resources (DNR) has removed the bald eagles, gray wolves and snapping turtles from their list of endangered, threatened and special-concern species on Monday.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:37 am 

A great day for conservation! :sum9:
I hope we humans continue just as if they were all still on the endangered list.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:44 pm 

ALTHOUGH this is goo d news I always worry that man then becomes careless and then what. I guess I need to try and have a bit more faith in mankind but...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:53 pm 
Site Admin

Food for thought:

Also, a petition has also been started in MN to suspend the recreational trapping/hunting of wolves.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:12 pm 

skygirlblue wrote:

Also, a petition has also been started in MN to suspend the recreational trapping/hunting of wolves.

Do you have a link to the petition?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:15 pm 
Site Admin

kittenface wrote:
skygirlblue wrote:

Do you have a link to the petition?

It won't count toward the 50K signatures....have to be an MN resident...sorry...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:59 pm 

It is crazy that the politicians are excluding the experts. Such egos.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:53 am 
Site Admin

This is so cool...The sea turtles are hatching on the Carolina Beaches..

Their FB page

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:10 pm 

Thank you SGB. That was cool!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:33 am 

I think this is a good place for this

Peregrine chick, wolf pups born at Isle Royale
Posted on August 30, 2013 by ABC 10

Houghton, MI- Isle Royale National Park reports the births of Peregrine Chicks and Wolf Pups at the island.

In a press release, Liz Valencia,
Chief of Interpretation and Cultural Resources, for the park says, “Island animal populations are generally small with fewer species than on the surrounding mainland. Isle Royale’s biodiversity is generally lower because the islands’ isolation has restricted migration of organisms from outside populations. For example, there are approximately 19 species of mammals documented on Isle Royale, far fewer than the number of mammals on the adjacent Michigan and Minnesota mainland. Because of this isolation, births in some species with small populations are often celebrated. This summer, Isle Royale National Park had cause for celebration; both the island’s peregrine falcon and wolf populations had new additions.”

Last year marked the first time in 57 years that peregrine falcons, a state listed endangered species, nested and successfully fledged young on the island. This year that success was repeated with two chicks reared to fledging on Passage Island.

“Last year was quite a shock to find a breeding pair of falcons. This year we hoped the pair would return and we were very happy to see nesting activity”, said Chief of Natural Resources Paul Brown.

Initially there were three chicks in the nest, but over the course of the next few weeks one chick disappeared. The two remaining chicks were successfully reared. With the addition of these two new birds, the island population of peregrine falcons is currently thought to be 5-7 individuals.

Also noteworthy this summer, according to Valencia, was the birth of at least two wolf pups. For the past several years the wolf population has been slowly declining, to a historic low of 8 animals at the end of winter study in March, 2013. These new animals are welcome additions to the population, bringing the total up to at least ten animals.

“It is always exciting when we learn about successful reproduction of wildlife in the park, and the birth of two wolf pups is especially good news”, commented Superintendent Phyllis Green. “The wolves continue to surprise us with their resiliency. While we were very happy to learn about the birth of the pups, we are still concerned about the population and are in the process of evaluating options on how to deal with the population in the future.”

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:43 am 

Really cold. The island is close to the northern shore of Lake Superior. :sum9: Great news!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:32 am 

Article from the South Bend Tribune: A devotion to nature
It will be a sad day when Carol retires...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:26 pm 

Oh you so right gigi, Carol is such a great lady. Every time I read something from her you can hear the love she has in her words.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:12 pm 

Study: Wind farms killed 67 eagles in 5 years

Posted: Sep 11, 2013 1:16 PM EDT
Updated: Sep 11, 2013 2:01 PM EDT
DINA CAPPIELLO, Associated Press

WASHINGTON (AP) — Wind energy facilities have killed at least 67 golden and bald eagles in the last five years, but the figure could be much higher, according to a new scientific study by government biologists.

The research represents one of the first tallies of eagle deaths attributed to the nation's growing wind energy industry, which has been a pillar of President Barack Obama's plans to reduce the pollution blamed for global warming. Wind power releases no air pollution.

But at a minimum, the scientists wrote, wind farms in 10 states have killed at least 85 eagles since 1997, with most deaths occurring between 2008 and 2012, as the industry was greatly expanding. Most deaths — 79 — were golden eagles that struck wind turbines. One of the eagles counted in the study was electrocuted by a power line.

The president of the American Bird Conservancy, Mike Parr, said the tally was "an alarming and concerning finding."

A trade group, the American Wind Energy Association, said in a statement that the figure was much lower than other causes of eagle deaths. The group said it was working with the government and conservation groups to find ways to reduce eagle casualties.

Still, the scientists said their figure is likely to be "substantially" underestimated, since companies report eagle deaths voluntarily and only a fraction of those included in their total were discovered during searches for dead birds by wind-energy companies. The study also excluded the deadliest place in the country for eagles, a cluster of wind farms in a northern California area known as Altamont Pass. Wind farms built there decades ago kill more than 60 per year.

The research affirms an AP investigation in May, which revealed dozens of eagle deaths from wind energy facilities and described how the Obama administration was failing to fine or prosecute wind energy companies, even though each death is a violation of federal law.

The Fish and Wildlife Service has said it is investigating 18 bird-death cases involving wind-power facilities, and seven have been referred to the Justice Department.

Wind farms are clusters of turbines as tall as 30-story buildings, with spinning rotors as wide as a passenger jet's wingspan. Though the blades appear to move slowly, they can reach speeds up to 170 mph at the tips, creating tornado-like vortexes.

Wind farms in two states, California and Wyoming, were responsible for 58 deaths, followed by facilities in Oregon, New Mexico, Colorado, Washington, Utah, Texas, Maryland and Iowa.

In all, 32 facilities were implicated. One in Wyoming was responsible for a dozen golden eagle deaths, the most at a single facility.

The research was published in the Journal of Raptor Research.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:51 pm 

:furious: I hate that any bird is basically considered "collateral damage".

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 12:59 am 

How utterly wonderful this story is. This is a very special young man.

Boy Scout builds traps to snare hawks posing hazard at SJ airport

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:55 pm 

Thanks for that post, kittenface. I learn something new every time I come to this Forum. :girlyes:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:01 pm 

I just got back from two weeks in Kaua'i, and was excited to see what my friend Tracy has done with this small rehab center. There was next to nothing before she arrived a few years ago. Now she has a small group of techs and volunteers. She took me through the center: I am so impressed! Everyone in Kaua'i, from very young school children up, is educated about this native species.

Newell's Shearwaters are an endangered species. At this time, about 90% of them are found in Kaua'i.

Newell's Shearwater fledglings at Save our Seabirds center in Kaua'i. Note that they naturally look down into the water for fish. After they fledge, their parents go their separate ways and do not feed their youngsters.

Located at the Kaua'i Humane Society, Save our Seabirds is a cooperative effort with the K.H.S. Its mission is to promote seabird conservation measures while working with wildlife agencies on successful, long-term solutions. SOS is managed by Tracy Anderson. With experience, imagination, and hard work, she has brought this small center up to rehabilitation standards. I briefly worked with Tracy at International Bird Rescue, Cordelia, California, where she was an extraordinary intern.

The focus is on Newell’s Shearwaters, but Wedge-tailed Shearwaters, Hawaiian Petrels, and Band-rumped Storm Petrels are some of the other birds in care. Shearwaters spend most of their life at sea and return to Kauai’s steep-sloped interior to breed in the spring and summer.

“Each fall, that year’s fledgling birds make their maiden flight to sea and will not return to the islands until they approach breeding age several years later. A fledgling’s initial flight to sea can be perilous. For example, they are so attracted to bright lights they often fly in circles around them until they are exhausted and land or, in some cases, collide with obstacles like buildings and other structures. Once grounded, these seabirds have extreme difficulty regaining flight from flat ground. Hence, without rescue, they are nearly certain to die due to attack by predators (such as dogs and cats), being run over by cars, from dehydration, or starvation.

“Each fall the call goes out to Kaua’i residents to watch for and retrieve downed seabirds, which are then collected by the Save Our Shearwaters (SOS) program. Following a prompt evaluation, and in some cases some care and feeding, nearly all seabirds handled by SOS are released back to the wild – more than 30,000 seabirds so far.

“Notwithstanding these efforts, the populations of these seabirds appear to be steadily declining. Scientists believe the greatest threats to these species are loss of suitable breeding habitation and predation by alien predators such as rats and cats in the breeding colonies that remain. Additionally mankind’s lights and structures also have an adverse effect.”

Source: Kaua’i Island Utility Cooperative, working in partnership with the Kaua’i Humane Society

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:48 pm 

Fixed the you tube for you beans! When I copied the url it did not have http, but it did after I pasted it... :gaaaaah:

Awesome job your friend has done. :hapdance:

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 245 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next