Bird Cams Around the World

Peregrine Falcons, Eagles, Kestrels, Ospreys, Owls and Much, Much More!!!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:53 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 433 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next
 Post subject: Re: 2016 INDY ~ MARKET TOWER -- KathyQ & Sesenta
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 3:39 pm 

:hapdance:

3.28 pm She is still

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 6:57 pm 

:flirty: Thanks, Loza!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 7:28 am 

KathyQ :15heartbeat:

7.30 am empty

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 4:10 pm 

Sesenta :15heartbeat:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 8:22 am 

Sesenta
Image Image

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 8:33 am 

Gigi :1val:

Sesenta 36 R :girlyes:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 10:08 am 

loza wrote:
Gigi :1val:

Sesenta 36 R :girlyes:

I couldn't read the bands, but I thought the markings looked like Sesenta.

So are you saying this is KathyQ, Loza ? Reading bands was never my strong point.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 10:10 am 

loza wrote:

Sesenta 36 R

It is KathyQ in your picture,Loza.
Bandnumber: B
C

Original picture:

This is Sesenta.
36 R

Besides: KathyQ is much taller then Sesenta.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 10:52 am 

Thank you!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:55 am 

This was posted on the KathyQ FB page today-

For the past two years, we falconheads haven’t had the joy of watching little falcon babies grow up before our eyes. The resident female, KathyQ, is almost 19 years old. She is likely infertile at this point in her life.

Her mate is her son, named Sesenta. He arrived two years ago – back to the nest box where he was born, son of beloved Kinney.

It has been a long two years for many of us who each spring eagerly anticipated when we would anxiously wait for eggs to be laid and hatch and to watch the little falcons grow up before our eyes. It was always a tense but joyous time of year.

So now to September 2016. What I know is that Sesenta is definitely still in residence. I have identified him in the box all summer long by noting the band on his left leg, 36/R. What I don’t know is what may have happened to KathyQ. I haven’t seen her in the nest box for months now. What this signals to me is that she has either retired or has been ousted by another female. That may or may not mean she is dead. We may never know what has happened and she may yet show up in the next box. But I am strongly inclined to believe that we will never see her again.

I have had two reports from folks that three falcons have been sighted over the skies of Downtown Indianapolis in the last couple of months. Two falcons were spotted doing the aerial courtship dance at one point. There were no signs of aggression. So there may be falcons passing through on their migration and there may be some looking for a new home. Only time will tell.

If KathyQ is truly gone, I am truly sad. She and I didn’t always get along but she was a magnificent falcon mom and we both had the same goal in mind – the safety of her precious falcon babies.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:11 pm 

It aint true! :sum9: KathyQ is alive and well.
I sent Laura the picture I captured above that I originally thought to be Sesenta, then Arles corrected me. She was able to read the B/C* band and confirm.
:flirty: KathyQ is just being a woman of mystery!

Kris G. wrote:

For the past two years, we falconheads haven’t had the joy of watching little falcon babies grow up before our eyes. The resident female, KathyQ, is almost 19 years old. She is likely infertile at this point in her life.

Her mate is her son, named Sesenta. He arrived two years ago – back to the nest box where he was born, son of beloved Kinney.

It has been a long two years for many of us who each spring eagerly anticipated when we would anxiously wait for eggs to be laid and hatch and to watch the little falcons grow up before our eyes. It was always a tense but joyous time of year.

So now to September 2016. What I know is that Sesenta is definitely still in residence. I have identified him in the box all summer long by noting the band on his left leg, 36/R. What I don’t know is what may have happened to KathyQ. I haven’t seen her in the nest box for months now. What this signals to me is that she has either retired or has been ousted by another female. That may or may not mean she is dead. We may never know what has happened and she may yet show up in the next box. But I am strongly inclined to believe that we will never see her again.

I have had two reports from folks that three falcons have been sighted over the skies of Downtown Indianapolis in the last couple of months. Two falcons were spotted doing the aerial courtship dance at one point. There were no signs of aggression. So there may be falcons passing through on their migration and there may be some looking for a new home. Only time will tell.

If KathyQ is truly gone, I am truly sad. She and I didn’t always get along but she was a magnificent falcon mom and we both had the same goal in mind – the safety of her precious falcon babies.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:14 pm 

gigi wrote:
I sent Laura the picture I captured above that I originally thought to be Sesenta, then Arles corrected me. She was able to read the B/C* band and confirm.

Kris G. wrote:

:attention:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:34 pm 
gigi wrote:

Gigi. that was a post of Arles. see yesterday at 10.10 AM
:wink:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:47 pm 

Arles wrote:

KathyQ

Two photo's of KathyQ (09.14) I posted on the previous page.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:51 pm 

gigi wrote:

Kris G. wrote:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:54 pm 

Hanny wrote:
gigi wrote:

Gigi. that was a post of Arles. see yesterday at 10.10 AM
:wink:
OOPS! :sum8: I made the correction in all posts. My apologies to you, Arles. Thanks for pointing that out, Hanny!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 6:47 pm 

So happy I missed this FIASCO by LJR. Just read her HS on the blog ... now wonder what KathyQ, a legend in my book, could ever have done to upset this woman. Really? I had already lost respect for her d/t her lack of continued communication about this pair in her blog ... glad she revealed her true colors finally for all to see ...

Excerpt from ljr blog:

That KQ – she always liked to yank my chain and here she did it again. At least we know for certain she is still around for now. Much can happen between now and falcon mating time.

Wonder what she hopes happens ...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 12:04 am 

:5val: My last post as a member of BCAW: Madam, I support all of life on this earth. That includes the human form, wildlife, plant life, etc. I also support all of the the phases they go through, newborn, youth, middle age, senior, etc. There is life after the reproductive years! And the argument Sesenta may be killed or displaced does not hold water as he could easily be killed during a misguided strike for food for a new mate, etc! I am only expressing my viewpoint. Please refer to what I recently posted about "Life at 99 in New Harmony, In." on "In The News"! And I have read posts from you that were very harsh on opinions of others when they differed from yours without comment. My comments were censored and not surprisingly to me, yours were not.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 5:09 am 

Yesterday Morning Sesenta :1val:

8.32 am empty

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 10:59 am 
Site Admin

I obviously am behind here (and everywhere else), so my apologies for just jumping in now. However, that gives me the advantage of an outsider looking in...

I think its very safe to say that we all are very passionate about our falcons!! This passion, in turn, elicits many different emotions, especially when a situation isn't "status quo" and a falcon isn't in his/her prime or exhibits behaviors some feel are not falcon like (Hope at Cathedral of Learning, for example). Interpretations (and misinterpretations) and reactions are influenced by these emotions. Swinwk and Carly, I know that both of you are very supportive and passionate of these birds and in no way ever wish harm to any of them. Opinions differ. Personally, I'm a sentimental sort and while I wish to see eggs here and at Toronto King, I want kathyQ and Erin to stay for as long as they can or want to. Yes, it deprives Sesenta and Stormin of offspring of their own (at least for now), but since I'm not a wildlife biologist, I can comfortably wish Kathy and Erin a happy retirement, at their nest, without worrying about the gene pool!! I wished the same for Freedom and Roosevelt at Ft. Wayne. Can something happen to Sesenta and/or Stormin before the 2017 nesting season? Of course it can...sadly, that is true about any of the beloved falcons we are currently watching.

Having said that, I know that sentiment is not felt by all and my opinion may actually be in the minority. Who knows. I think we all just have to agree to disagree on certain emotional topics. Its kinda like religion and politics. Unless "you're" ready for an opposing view.....I think for the most part, we are fairly respectful of these opposing views...which leads me back to interpretations of what we read or how we say things which will always be influenced by emotion/viewpoint. I do not know Laura personally, but have followed her blog for years...well, as long as I've been watching the Indy cam. She has adored KathyQ and Kinney from the start. Losing Kinney was an emotional blow. Her blog entry of 9/19 (posted by Kris above) was a tad premature since Kathy showed up (LOL), but certainly understandable for this time of year. I think her last few sentences, "If KathyQ is truly gone, I am truly sad. She and I didn’t always get along but she was a magnificent falcon mom and we both had the same goal in mind – the safety of her precious falcon babies." is a testament to her devotion and respect of kathy (my interpretation). Her blog entries have almost always been tinged with humor/hyperbole so the later 9/19 blog post of "That's all it took" just fell into that category...kathy proved her wrong by showing up (thank goodness)...we've all been there, done that!!

I guess the bottom line is we're all passionate; we all have opinions and different perspectives/reactions of the same situation. Most of the time there is no right or wrong...AND unless a post is hateful, abusive, and/or personally assaultive (that includes passive aggressiveness) I won't censor...I will censor if posts are repeatedly WAY off topic (my pet peeve~sorry :girlcrazy: ) Can we have these differing emotional responses, then move on to continue enjoying these magnificent creatures? I guess that's a question each member will personally have to answer..I hope the answer is "yes"...

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 433 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next