Bird Cams Around the World

Peregrine Falcons, Eagles, Kestrels, Ospreys, Owls and Much, Much More!!!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:08 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 122 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: IN THE NEWS~2016
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:17 am 

What a beautiful person for that town. Has to put a smile on everyone's faces.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 8:53 am 
Global Moderator

Bald Eagle Rescued

Thanks to an observant passing motorist, a bald eagle that was stuck in the grill of a car after Hurricane Matthew was successfully rescued.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 10:16 am 

Thanks, Catbird! TSusan alerted me to this and I was just trying to find the article and picture to post. She was wondering if this might be one of "our" eagles. Probably no way to find out. B.E.A.K.S. is located in the Jacksonville Florida vicinity.
Here is the FB page

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 6:12 pm 

Interesting.......

2016 Peregrine Falcon Monitoring Summary for Adirondack and Lake Champlain Region

:mooncat:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:11 am 
Site Admin

:leafthumbs:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 12:00 pm 

Orlando Eagle Rescue

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 2:18 am 

Cairo Airport authorities foil falcon-smuggling operation

By: Dima Abo Kous
Posted: Wed, 11/02/2016

The live falcons seized at the airport had their eyes stitched closed with surgical threads to prevent them from panicking.
Security authorities at Cairo International Airport managed to stop an Egyptian passenger who had attempted to smuggle 41 peregrine falcons into Bahrain, where he allegedly intended to sell the iconic birds.

The falcons were seized and confiscated after a customs officer charged with monitoring an x-ray scanner detected suspicious dark items inside large bags.

They discovered sedated falcons. In an apparent attempt to prevent them from opening their eyes and panicking, the smugglers had stitched closed their eyes with surgical threads.

The boxes in which they were found also contained ice bags to keep them cool during transit although it was likely that direct contact with the ice was dangerous to the birds.

Upon notification, the Director General of Cairo Airport Veterinary Quarantine, Dr. Safwat Al Mubarak, determined that the falcons were peregrines.

According to App I rules of the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species (CITES), international trade in peregrine falcons for commercial purposes is strictly prohibited. According to Dr. Mubarak, the value of a single falcon can reach 300,000 Egyptian pounds, about $34,000 USD.

The birds were transferred to the wildlife administration in the Giza Zoo for care. "Following the removal of eye stitches and wing wraps, treatment of wounds and necessary investigation, the birds would be released into their natural habitat in near future," Dr. Ragy Toma, head of wildlife administration said.

IFAW MENA office is currently following up with the CITES Management Authority of Egypt to offer any assistance they may need for release.

For centuries, falcons have held a particular cultural significance in the Middle East, where traditional falconry is still widely practiced.

With the intent of eliminating the illegal trade in falcons in their countries, the United Arab Emirates, Saudi Arabia and other Arabian peninsula countries established a falconry passport scheme requiring that all falcons must have passports that are granted to their owners only after those owners provide authorities with, among other information, requisite CITES documentation.

--DAK

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 11:17 am 

That is awful. :furious:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 11:45 am 

gigi wrote:
That is awful. :furious:

Totally agree Gigi! :furious: :furious:

Also very heartbreaking............ what is the matter with people.........

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:48 pm 

PA.news

A new peregrine falcon frequenting the Tarentum Bridge is scaring the local pigeon population but exciting local wildlife watchers.

Local bird experts are hoping for a union between the new mysterious visitor and the jilted bachelor who is thought to be a year-round resident at the bridge, which hosted successful nesting in 2012 and 2014.

New couples and the fate of each bird is watched carefully because the peregrine falcon — the fastest animal on earth that can reach speeds greater than 200 mph — is still classified as endangered in the state.

There are only 46 known pairs in the commonwealth, according to the Pennsylvania Game Commission.

Although it is months before nesting begins in March, there seems to be a lot of flirting going on in Tarentum and another nest site, the Cathedral of Learning in Oakland.

Rob Protz of Brackenridge sits on a bench on the Tarentum side of the bridge greeting dog walkers and fishermen walking by, all the while taking notes on the raptors' comings and goings.

Last Monday, Protz watched a peregrine at 4:20 p.m. fly up Ross Street and scare the pigeons, then fly to a beam under the faded turquoise Tarentum Bridge.

“Then at 4:26, it did the same thing, and she's been sitting there ever since,” he said close to sunset the same day.

“That is — if she is a she,” he said.

The female peregrine is noticeably larger than the male, but it can be hard to identify the sex when there is just one bird.

Recent photographs of the bands on the bird's leg identify it as likely a female from either Neville Island or Philadelphia, according to Art McMorris, peregrine falcon coordinator for the Game Commission.

Wherever the birds are from, there is a pair spending a lot of time at the Tarentum Bridge. As recently as Friday, Protz and local photographers spotted two falcons at the bridge.

MEANWHILE, IN OAKLAND ...

Interloping female falcons at the Cathedral of Learning — at least four of them — are hard to miss as their presence has been captured on a webcam there.

They greet Terzo, the male peregrine partner of Hope — the former raptor queen of the Tarentum Bridge.

Hope left her Tarentum Bridge partner last year after the Cathedral's longest reigning queen, Dorothy, died, likely of old age.

The cathedral is prime peregrine territory because the tall building is much like the bird's natural nest sites on cliffs. It's a peregrine's dream, as it is protected from weather and predators and offers open space for hunting a bountiful prey base of pigeons and other wildlife, McMorris said.

Many inquisitive peregrines stop by.

“This is what we would expect to be going on,” he said.

Known as “floaters,” unmated peregrines are checking on potential mates, but more importantly, open territories, he said.

Without territories, there can be no mates.

“These birds at the cathedral were noted briefly and may have moved on; maybe they will be back,” he said. “It's all part of the natural process.”

The prevalence of these floaters was evident this spring when Dorothy's original mate was killed, and Terzo showed up quickly, McMorris said.

These floaters likely will even mate with the resident birds.

An unbanded female can show up close to nesting season at the cathedral, and the male would mate with her, according to McMorris.

“Hope will come back and say, ‘Get out of here,' and we won't see the unbanded female again. This happens commonly.”

HOPE VISITS TARENTUM

Back in Tarentum, Protz isn't sure what will happen with the new falcon at the bridge.

Of course the peregrine with the 69Z band number — Hope's band number — has been visiting the bridge even though she's still queen at the cathedral.

“She was just here Thursday evening,” said Protz. “She was all over the place, on the navigation light on the bridge, then she scattered pigeons in the marina.”

Two weeks ago, Hope was seen on the Tarentum side of the bridge as another peregrine was heard on the New Kensington side screeching at a passing bald eagle flying up river.

Expectations for 2017 nesting season?

“I have none,” Protz said. “That's why I sit here every night.”

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:06 pm 

Our feathered friends have a rough time out in the world, but thankfully we do have many people that care.......

:girlyes:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:28 pm 

:attention:
Sally wrote:
Our feathered friends have a rough time out in the world, but thankfully we do have many people that care.......

:girlyes:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 6:34 pm 

http://www.earthspan.org/wp-content/upl ... -Rept1.pdf

I haven't read the entire paper - looks very interesting. Migrant Peregrine falcons have been studied and counted here (Assateague Island, MD) since 1969. (This article describes the 2015 counts.) Falcons are trapped, banded and feathers dyed (to not duplicate counting), and several tests are conducted (blood work, feathers, etc.).
(This will be a great article to read this winter when there's a foot of snow on the ground. It's only 14 pages long - with pictures, charts and bibliog.!)
The MD Birding FB page had a picture posted of a PF - with either blood or red dye on its chest. I did some googling and that's when I found the article!
:girlcrazy:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 11:59 pm 

SWINWK wrote:
Life @ 99 in New Harmony, In!!! Thought you all would get a kick meeting Juanita who will be 100 in January. I met her through my work, because until a couple months ago she drove one of our ladies (sadly, no longer with us) to church every Sunday. Then she would eat dinner with us after church ... if we were having gravy! She continues to eat with us (but, stops by on Saturday morning to make sure we are having gravy for Sunday dinner) and came to ask me if she could take some of the ladies on her golf cart to the festival down the street just now. She's always "dressed to the nines" and I saw her come in from church one Sunday and slap her hand on the first table of ladies she came across in the dining room and announce " I'm just getting in from church and I'm coming off a hard drunk!" :teehee: She really puts things in perspective for me as she is 40 years older, no cane, no walker, still dancing ... but, I'm the one having difficulty rising from a chair!

Dancing!

99th birthday celebration last January!

Look who turned 100 this past week! :flirty:

As a child back in the "20's" she lived in Griffin, Indiana and survived the "Griffin Tornado" which was the most devastating to date in US history! This is why her family moved to New Harmony, In. On a happier note, I'm glad she wore my favorite outfit that I usually see her wear at the beginning of spring. It is a coat with a wrap around dress sewn inside the coat, by none other than her mother before Juanita was even married!!! :teehee: She not only takes great care of herself, but her clothes too! Happy 100th birthday Juanita! :dancegirl:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 7:30 am 

SWINWK wrote:
SWINWK wrote:
Life @ 99 in New Harmony, In!!! Thought you all would get a kick meeting Juanita who will be 100 in January. I met her through my work, because until a couple months ago she drove one of our ladies (sadly, no longer with us) to church every Sunday. Then she would eat dinner with us after church ... if we were having gravy! She continues to eat with us (but, stops by on Saturday morning to make sure we are having gravy for Sunday dinner) and came to ask me if she could take some of the ladies on her golf cart to the festival down the street just now. She's always "dressed to the nines" and I saw her come in from church one Sunday and slap her hand on the first table of ladies she came across in the dining room and announce " I'm just getting in from church and I'm coming off a hard drunk!" :teehee: She really puts things in perspective for me as she is 40 years older, no cane, no walker, still dancing ... but, I'm the one having difficulty rising from a chair!

Dancing!

99th birthday celebration last January!

Look who turned 100 this past week! :flirty:

As a child back in the "20's" she lived in Griffin, Indiana and survived the "Griffin Tornado" which was the most devastating to date in US history! This is why her family moved to New Harmony, In. On a happier note, I'm glad she wore my favorite outfit that I usually see her wear at the beginning of spring. It is a coat with a wrap around dress sewn inside the coat, by none other than her mother before Juanita was even married!!! :teehee: She not only takes great care of herself, but her clothes too! Happy 100th birthday Juanita! :dancegirl:

What a wonderful update, Swin! She still looks Wonderful and Fiesty! Thanks for posting!
:loveshow:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:30 pm 
Site Admin

:wow:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:39 pm 

Well bless her sweet adorable heart.
:party2: :bday :party2:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:19 pm 

For those who followed Juanita with me this year and last, I wanted to let you know she is gravely ill. Although it was not obvious in the video or in person on her 100th birthday, she was very much within the "grips" of this disease at that time. I think it is a testament to how this woman has lived her life and continues to live her life. Really something to think about. She fooled all the doctors too, as it took 3 hospitalizations in the last 3-4 weeks for them to realize her diagnosis and how ill she is. Love ... peace ... comfort to Juanita! :15heartbeat:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:33 pm 

Oh, I am so sorry to hear this. Keeping Juanita in my prayers. Thanks for the update, SWINWK.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:07 pm 

:sorrow: Juanita G. Hyatt
January 31, 1917 - March 29, 2017

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 122 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next