Bird Cams Around the World

Peregrine Falcons, Eagles, Kestrels, Ospreys, Owls and Much, Much More!!!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:42 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 542 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 ... 28  Next
 Post subject: Re: JERSEY CITY & UNION COUNTY~April-Dec. 2017
PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:48 am 

Nice to see Juliet and the male in there bonding. I hope that she has chicks this year.

Really hate it about the other nest. I check in sometimes and usually see that poor Dad in there on the eggs. Isn't it amazing what they will go through to ensure the survival of their offspring. These birds are so special.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 1:55 pm 

you are so right ljames. I just cannot bring myself to watch Union. Not usually like this but got too attached to mom

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 2:42 pm 
Global Moderator

Union...
Per chat posts--Betty Ann Kelly · Stockton University

91/BA on railing and prior was in nest box picking at left talon. On close inspection, appears to have
an injury to left talon. 1 hour ago

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 3:08 pm 

Union

Wow Beth...that's Cadence. I wonder if Mom is still out there challenging her. Dad was on the eggs last night and he is on them now.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 3:18 pm 

Union

Dad just left and Cadence cam into the box briefly, chupping. She looks fine. L talon may have a scratch on the front, but hard to tell. No blood. I didn't see any swelling. She's not favoring it. Maybe she had some leftover prey debris that they saw? Maybe she was doing some talon maintenance? She seems fine. She took off from the railing with equal push off from both feet.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 3:20 pm 

Union

Dad is back on the eggs.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 3:37 pm 

Carly, his devotion is amazing. He is just hanging in there until she lays an egg and begins to do her share.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 4:34 pm 

4:33pm
Falcon sitting at the end of the roof next to the exhaust thing (Cam 3).
Igloo is empty.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 4:37 pm 

Union:
bonbon wrote:
4:33pm
Falcon sitting at the end of the roof next to the exhaust thing (Cam 3).
Igloo is empty.

4:37pm
Falcon still at end of roof (Cam 3).
Dad on nest (as usual!).

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:10 pm 
Site Admin

jersey city~early evening

male followed by Juliet

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:04 pm 

jersey

glad you got those sgb :15heartbeat:

just got home form my sites ( :girlcrazy: :girlcrazy: :girlcrazy: ) and was going to post them

he was in a lot today according to my tape

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:55 am 
Site Admin

Union~such a good Dad...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:15 pm 

Just putting this out there....

This reminds me of the year Cher battled & won the SF nest from Diamond Lil (2013 - where did all the time go????)

That year, the DL's eggs were about 1 week away from hatch. Cher ended up laying eggs . 1 egg was pushed out (by accident) when she was scraping when she first arrived and became interested in housekeeping. That's the year that they continued incubating into the summer (end of June - eggs were laid in Feb by Lil) and Glenn Stewart finally went up and removed the eggs.

I think there had been some discussion on this board, or on the SF Yahoo group that once incubation starts, hormones shift (obviously we are seeing this with Union Dad). There was also a question regarding sperm fertility due to shift in hormones.

I really was hoping that due to the fact that the eggs were not constantly covered and Dad and resident Mom were still mating that maybe Dad would continue in courting mode with Cadence and we would see more eggs.

In SF that year, I don't know if there was ever confirmed mating, but due to presence of male, Cher did lay. Also, upon inspection, Cher's eggs were infertile, but Diamond Lil's eggs were viable. It was a sad situation.

So, there are a variety of possible outcomes here. And if Cadence is out advertising because she wants to be courted, maybe someone else will come along. I just hope that this doesn't turn into a 6 month incubating stint for Dad and Cadence....

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:34 pm 

1:30ish. Dad went out. Cadence is on egg guard duty. She keeps looking up and vocalizing. The roof view camera is either stuck upside.

I don't know if Dad is out hunting or if something else is going on, but she's in and out of igloo, looking up and vocalizing.

1:36 - Cadence just took off.

1:41 - Dad is back.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:14 pm 
Site Admin

mwplay, I remember all of that...and I remember having the discussion about hormones shifting with the male...that incubation went on forever!! I also remember wondering what would happen IF DL's eggs hatched. How would Cher's eggs be treated...I sure don't want to see that play out here!!

No one on cam 1 or 2....

It would be doubly sad if Dad lost this nest. I don't think Cadence would "dump" him. Sesenta didn't Dump KathyQ and as far as we know, Stormin hasn't dumped Erin. Now if another male came and challenged Dad? That would be another issue. I think Dad's priorities are the eggs right now. He would be sharing incubating duties and providing food. I don't know what would shift him out of that behavior and into full courtship. Probably some mating is going on out of cam, but is it enough to fertilize eggs?

..and speaking of Dad, he is back on the eggs.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:40 pm 
Site Admin

WOW...I didn't know that about Stormin'!!

Well, no matter the outcome, Dad has my full support and I'm not gonna count him out..nor am I going to expect another male to move in and take over. Of course, that's always a possibility...that's a possibility for any nest with eggs. We've documented that before....I'm just gonna take it 1 day at a time. It would be nice if Cadence made it as far as laying an egg, fertile or not..then at least she would help with incubation!! We've got a long way to go with this eggs..geeeeeeeeez..

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:43 pm 

skygirlblue wrote:
mwplay, I remember all of that...and I remember having the discussion about hormones shifting with the male...that incubation went on forever!! I also remember wondering what would happen IF DL's eggs hatched. How would Cher's eggs be treated...I sure don't want to see that play out here!!

No one on cam 1 or 2....

It would be doubly sad if Dad lost this nest. I don't think Cadence would "dump" him. Sesenta didn't Dump KathyQ and as far as we know, Stormin hasn't dumped Erin. Now if another male came and challenged Dad? That would be another issue. I think Dad's priorities are the eggs right now. He would be sharing incubating duties and providing food. I don't know what would shift him out of that behavior and into full courtship. Probably some mating is going on out of cam, but is it enough to fertilize eggs?

..and speaking of Dad, he is back on the eggs.

Dad is feeding her and there has been mating observed, but he's on the eggs so much that he would not see a threat come into the territory. She would and hopefully would respond as such. I do think she is guarding the eggs more when Dad is away than when she first arrived. I DON'T want her to "dump" Dad - at all. I just hope that a single male doesn't come into the territory thinking she doesn't have a mate. That's more of my concern.

And Sesenta and Kathy Q were at least together during the cycle. Same with Stormin and Erin. Both of those females were not trying to get a mate to court her. The situation is just a little bit different here. It seems that it is much easier when there is a displacement of a male vs female due to attachment to eggs. If we compare the SF takeover vs. the SJ takeover, SJ had much more success - hatches and Fernando took care of the offspring as if they were his.

This just reminds me so much of SF. I also wonder if he's hunting/providing for her, but I don't know if it is at the level required to build up calcium reserves for egg laying. Normally the females look like tanks prior to laying, I think because of all of constant food delivery. If Dad is just doing the minimum and expecting her to also hunt due to the shift to incubation mode vs. courting mode, I wonder how that will effect the viability of any eggs Cadence lays.

Again, sad situation here. I really hope that it stays calm & peaceful, and Dad is on the eggs enough, maybe there will be a hatch of these eggs. In SF, I remember that Cher booted Dan out of the nest. She would spend the night on the ledge. At least here, Dad is on the eggs at night. That might give these eggs a chance.

Really hoping for a good outcome here. Unfortunately, just another difficult learning situation for all of us.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:24 pm 
Site Admin

Jersey City

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:00 pm 

union- i cannot believe the concern here. Dad is doing just what he should be doing. And he probably is doing enough . Talk of her going out and looking for another male, unlikely.

this situation here is the exact same as Axel , Netherlands, which I have been following and documenting all year so far. WE do not know what happened to old female but after first egg, there was little incubation, after a few days ( this is where I cam e in)female was gone .I guess while things were sorting themselves out, male would sneak in after he brought some food for female. There was copulation going on. ( you do not know what is going on beyond the cam here at union.) I have my cam up at AXel non stop. the male came in more and more on his egg.( I cannot tell whole story here, I have ti documented)

anyways first egg was laid ( march13). now just last week new female laid egg,( april5). she did not do incubation at all, until a week before her egg. Then she did a bit and then she went into box and stayed and egg was laid. now there is full incubation. I thought she would lay another egg the other day, but I do not think so now.s. So maybe hers and the other females.( you owuld have to go and read my documentation. )

AT bell last year, new male came in after eggs laid. E4 had no interest in copulation and concentrated on her duty. male would come in and she would brush him off. they eventually would be together but not as couple, so to speak. We could not see beyond the box , but I am sure he brought some prey. Well we did see some brought in. He did not go out and seek another female.

this is all a wait and see here.

this is a good male here. do not sell him short.

things will work themselves out. the only thing we know, is maybe these eggs will hatch, and maybe she will lay an egg.

rock on DAd :15heartbeat:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:19 am 
Site Admin

The male is doing a fabulous job here...I just don't know when he is eating.

I never got these posted from last night.

Dad is on the eggs.

7:15 pm~Cadence arrives

Some greeting and bowing.

Approximately 7:16~couple of bows at the door and Dad squeezes past

Cadence never enters the igloo

7:27~she leaves

7:30~dad returns and gets right on the eggs and stays

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 542 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 ... 28  Next