Bird Cams Around the World

Peregrine Falcons, Eagles, Kestrels, Ospreys, Owls and Much, Much More!!!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 258 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: SOUTH BEND, 2017
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:08 pm 
Site Admin

Something is definitely wrong with this baby...and having its food whisked away did not help!!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:42 pm 
Site Admin

Well, I've been gone most of the afternoon and evening...but did try going through the DVR. I'm not sure what happened between my last most and about 6:30, but there appeared to be 2 opportunities for food. since there is no time stamp, its started getting more and more confusing as I went through the DVR..(that's why you'll see some "numbers" on some of the pics...I got very lost.. :teehee:

First food arrival..I think Dad

...and he left..

Mom (?) came in with what looked like the same prey..the baby was off cam at this point..it didn't eat, so Mom had a few bites.

She didn't stay long before she left

When I tried to go back and time the interval between the 2 arrivals, it was too late...already gone from the DVR..

The baby eventually got up onto the porch..no idea the amount of time between Mom's departure and baby's hop up.

She moved to the far left, almost out of cam view..and then totally out of cam view...

Several visits from parents after this. (these weren't all)

I went through the DVR several times to see if the baby got back into the box...I eventually gave up!!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:45 am 

skygirlblue wrote:

When I tried to go back and time the interval between the 2 arrivals, it was too late...already gone from the DVR..

The baby eventually got up onto the porch..no idea the amount of time between Mom's departure and baby's hop up.

I scrolled through my screenshots and they have a timelabel ;o)

6 07PM: First arrival parent with food

6.17PM: Second arrival parent with food.

6.19PM: Juvie pops up and jumps on the ledge.

Last time juvie was in view : 6.27PM

This morning: parent visits 6.50AM-6.56AM

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:59 am 
Site Admin

Thanks Arles..Where did you find the time label? :egg16:

I wonder where the baby went. Surely it didn't fly off that late in the day...or maybe it hopped down onto the roof?

8 am and Dad was back in the box.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:48 am 

skygirlblue wrote:
Thanks Arles..Where did you find the time label? :egg16:

Timelabel is in the left corner of my recorded screenshots,SGB.

Here is a screenshot of a screenshot , lol.

13.56u. (Dutch timezone) minus 6 hours = 7.56AM

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:07 pm 
Site Admin

:teehee:

Thanks Arles...so its actually on your recorder and not the cam itself? (because there is no time stamp on my cam~LOL)

This was around 9 am. Great news if this is A/38 (vs a sibling) I did a quick DVR scan and found no one visible in the box other than a parent...so fingers crossed!!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:47 pm 
Site Admin

What the heck? One of the chicks has died?...From Frounce? (AKA Trich)

I've been checking the cam periodically throughout the day (I have a few pics I'll post later) and other than the possible "kid" sighting from this morning, I really haven't seen anybody other than an adult...and one questionable falcon (no idea if it was an adult or kid)...but, having had one die of possible Trich, leaves me a little concerned. The article said the chick died this past Monday? Wish there had been more info..

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:15 pm 

skygirlblue wrote:

I've been checking the cam periodically throughout the day (I have a few pics I'll post later) and other than the possible "kid" sighting from this morning, I really haven't seen anybody other than an adult...and one questionable falcon (no idea if it was an adult or kid)...but, having had one die of possible Trich, leaves me a little concerned. The article said the chick died this past Monday? Wish there had been more info..

Yes, I just got that alert also! So Sad!! :tissue: :cryinggirl:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:46 pm 

Oh, that is so sad. I hope the others don't contract it, but since they seem to be well on their way in the flying department, hopefully, they did not have contact with this chick. Always sad to lose one.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:03 am 
Site Admin

It is incredibly sad. :tissue: I doubt very seriously that the chick that was faltering in the box yesterday is out flying expertly in the skies..I wish somebody would check the roof to see if it is up there and if it needs help. If they suspect Trich as the cause of death in that one chick, its possible yesterday's chick is sick as well...however, its eyes, nose, and mouth did look clear, so that's positive!! I remember several years ago one of the kids at HBG had Trich. It was quite advanced. As bad as that cam was, it was so obvious when you watched it that something was terribly wrong.

Anyway, these strange pics are from around 3:30 pm. I have no clue if this was an adult or one of the kids. Dad had been on the ledge for quite some time, preening...disappeared from view..and then this..

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:15 pm 
Site Admin

A few pics this morning from the DVR. I hope the kids are ok..

Posted via PB...but I really had to trick it to get it to work...we'll see how long the pics stay on the forum..

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:24 pm 
Site Admin

Pics are still there...but, I'm guessing if I refresh this page or if I log out, then log back in..they will be gone!! The Forum Software must be caching this page for me and that's why I can still see the pics..maybe?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:55 pm 

Sad to hear about the loss of our chick. :tissue: A brief ground report follows.

SGB, 6:27 p.m. is not late around here. Right now it's not getting dark until after 9:30. I didn't see anyone on cam at all when I scrolled back. In past years, the birds have frequently been active locally in the early mornings, but not exclusively then.

The Ground Report: weather: light rain, not too hot. At around 4 p.m. , one bird on the NW corner of the building, looking fluffed up, not moving much in 15 minutes. Also one bird on top of the WNIT tv tower ( a fav spot for juvies, just one block diagonally from the nest box. ) I'm guessing both juvies, but I that's just a guess, I could not ID them. I'd like to point out that just because I only saw two birds doesn't mean that that's all the birds there were. Not much action from either bird, but that's not unusual for this time of day. I will try to watch again on Sunday.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:37 pm 

:sorrow:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:20 am 
Site Admin

Thanks for your report, sbwatcher!!! Its very helpful!!! I am still worried about #3 (the one that was in obvious distress in the box the other day). I hope she is ok...and I wish we had the band number of the one we lost...if anybody finds that out, please post that info here..

Anyway, I check the DVR frequently (well, I try to every 4 hours)..just to see who visits.

Peace has visited at least 3 times so far this morning..

Had a bonding session during his 3rd visit. :loveheart2:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:30 pm 

if you remember we had frounce about 5 years ago at U o FA . Gord had to pull 3 of the kids , one was treated in the box.

If one chick had it , and those other 2 look lethargic, they possibly have it also. And the chick in box that would not eat, my guess is it had ti also.

Adults can contract this also.
not trying to be a downer on this but after what we have been through this year, everything is suspect to me.
and it should be to them also.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 7:06 pm 

:eggthumb: On the timeline, I found Peace sitting on the porch looking in the nest for a long time. Finally, he jumped into the nest and worked on a scrape for awhile. Then to the porch and rail before taking off.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:56 am 

Carolyn wrote:
skygirlblue wrote:

Yes, I just got that alert also! So Sad!! :tissue: :cryinggirl:

So sorry about the loss of one of your babies, South Bend! :sorrow:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:57 am 

SWINWK wrote:
:eggthumb: On the timeline, I found Peace sitting on the porch looking in the nest for a long time. Finally, he jumped into the nest and worked on a scrape for awhile. Then to the porch and rail before taking off.

:egg19: Thankyou, SWINWK !!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:14 pm 

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 258 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next