Bird Cams Around the World

Peregrine Falcons, Eagles, Kestrels, Ospreys, Owls and Much, Much More!!!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 214 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11
 Post subject: Re: COLUMBUS~JULY-DECEMBER, 2017
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:25 pm 

:rudired: Thanks for the update, ccollins13! This is encouraging news! Wished they had expanded on "why" the relocation effort appears to be working ...

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:28 pm 

ccollin13 wrote:
"The nest box has been relocated to the 31st floor of the Riffe Center in an effort by the Ohio Department of Natural Resources to rehome the falcons away from the Rhodes Tower project. So far, it appears that the relocation effort is working. We should know more in the spring as they prepare for nesting season."

:bsanta: That is wonderful news.....Thank you ccollin13!! Courtship is a mere 2 months away. :15heartbeat:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:33 pm 

SWINWK wrote:
:rudired: Thanks for the update, ccollins13! This is encouraging news! Wished they had expanded on "why" the relocation effort appears to be working ...

Ditto that...but I'm guessing the falcons are investigating the new box. DOW was not going to set-up the cams until they knew for sure where the birds would nest. I believe several nesting options were provided per SGB.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:38 am 

:flirty: I hope so !!!!!!!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:55 pm 

I sure hop e this means they are visiting the new box.

my question was not answered earlier. I forgot the email addresses of people to contact to say how much we appreciate this site and hope they keep it going. SGB had posted a few, but I have been off line a lot. computer issues. ( will be finally be getting new computer on line with all my programs next week. )

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:32 am 
Site Admin

I check daily...time for me to email Karen, I think. :impat: ..I'll repost the links...I think we all need to start another writing campaign...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:10 am 

Thank you SGB - I am sorry for my staying away so long - I will be happy to write a letter/e-mail expressing my grattitude to ODNR for this cam - I miss it terribly and I hope they can put up another cam to help us watch our beloved pair. I was thinking about Spark too - what a mystery his disappearance is. Thanks again SGB for your dilligence in contacting people about the cams. Happy Friday everyone

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:56 pm 

New article from the Columbus Dispatch: http://www.dispatch.com/news/20171229/d ... -new-perch

There’s not really any information that we don’t already know on this board. Looks like they got most of the info from the Rhodes Tower press releases.

Also pretty sure they’re wrong when they say there’s another set of falcons nesting on the Riffe??? Lol as far as I know, it’s only one set - Durand and Aries - since they are so territorial. Seems like the writer is confused.

No more updates from my state sources recently, but I will be in the Riffe next week and will try to look around the top floor.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:00 am 

:rudired: Thanks ccollin13! Let us know what you find @ the Riffe!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:39 am 
Global Moderator

Thank you ccollin13 ...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:20 pm 

That article sounds totally off. No way there is another pair in the area that close. Look forward to your observations at Riffe ccollin13. I miss Durand. It would be lovely if they did move, but I've seen too many sites where they rejected the new location.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:02 pm 

I agree. Two pairs would not tolerate each other that close. I suspect our beloved pair is hanging out at the Riffe and this reporter got the info wrong. The box at the Riffe was placed there several yrs ago as an alternative choice, because the falcons ate there, but they never used the box. With the relocation, I believe several nesting choices were provided. I don't know if that means they moved the Rhodes box onto a different facing ledge at the Riffe? The box that was already at the Riffe was on a north facing ledge and some of us expressed concern about that. The Rhodes box was facing south at the Rhodes Tower and I understand from our Canadian friends that their boxes are positioned facing east. It would be wonderful if Durand and Aries were at the Riffe. Let us know what you find out Ccollin13. I think we are all on pins & needles waiting for some news. First canoodle is mid-Feb for Durand. Now that she and Aries are in sync, their timing may not be delayed like last year. We're getting close. So, I hope we have an answer soon. Happy New Year all!
:1tree:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:03 pm 

:newsnow6: And Happy New Year to you as well, Nadia!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:47 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks so much for posting the link to the article, ccollins!! Unfortunately, after a few seconds, it blocked my view since I didn't have a subscription...However, I did get to see the comment about not sure if "our" falcons will join their "cousins" on the Riffe. I laughed outloud..

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 214 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11