Bird Cams Around the World

Peregrine Falcons, Eagles, Kestrels, Ospreys, Owls and Much, Much More!!!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 266 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: Anacapa~2018 & 2019
PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 5:38 pm 

:flirty: Just saw a feed by Dad and all 4 got bites, although #4 only got 3 maybe 4 bites. It was still opening it's beak when the feed was over. At one point it grabbed a siblings beak that I think had food in it, but I don't know if it scored that bite or not.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 10:44 am 

Watched a feed a few minutes ago. Dad brought in prey and walked to the right of the chicks and dangled it in front of them. A couple of the older ones acted as if they were trying to get a bite off of it and in walks Mom. Dad rushed forward and Mom snatched it from him and fed them. The little one was only able to get one bite, which was the last bite officially of the feed, but then Mom found a piece that had dropped down among them and she took that scrap for herself.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 5:58 pm 

:girlsad3: The youngest one is not getting much of anything during feeds. It's lucky if it gets one bite. I am surprised it is still alive. The prey brought in is not big enough to fill up the 3 older sibs. So, they never become full enough to drop out of the feeding line to give the youngest a chance for a good feed. This particular mother, bypasses this chick despite a constantly open mouth and efforts to reach up. She stepped on the chick, who was right up front during the last feed. Durand she is not! Hard to watch.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Anacapa~2018 & 2019I
PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 6:43 pm 

Is this a new mom? She's been offering the kids much too big a bites. That could also explain why she isn't feeding the little one (and he was directly in front of her for the feed). Maybe dad isn't catching enough food. It seemed like the kids wanted more than they got. :girlsad3:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 7:15 pm 

As far as I know she is the same Mom as last year. I saw the feed live that Dad brought in prey and Mom snatched it from him and fed the chicks at about 3:25 nest time and the little one did not get a bite. It started out the little one was obscured from view, because it was in between it's siblings, then finally it got out front. The problem when it gets out front in addition to the size disparity with its beak so far below the others is it actually gets too far out front and no longer is in her focal point. It is usually in the position you see in the pic below and I don't think she sees it opening its beak, because he is under her some. The same thing happened in the feed just prior that you see in the video ... she didn't see it and she stepped on him and/or the prey and he was caught for awhile in this position. I haven't seen any indications of injury so far. I don't think he has had but 2-3 bites today per chat, but I hope he gets something later as he usually gets more bites later in the day. I know one of the feeds yesterday or the day before he actually got 12-13 bites in a feed. I'm still hopeful for him as he seems strong still and taking ps's. I wish Dr. Sharpe would offer his opinion.

Pic by cattinks.

Video by Cali Condor.

Warning: Apparently it has been going to highlights at intervals here again.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 8:54 pm 

Thanks SWINWK for your observations. I know I thought too that this wasn't enough food for the chicks. I know Clara (San Jose) didn't give the little one much to eat this year, then when she was convinced that this isn't like previous years when there wasn't enough food available (due to weather), she fed him like she fed the others. She lost the youngest chick due to not feeding him for two separate years. Maybe its the survival of the fittest. We can only hope more food will be available. :girlsad3:

Its "live" now.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 8:57 am 

The little one didn't get one bite. :furious: He wasn't the only one though, some chick in the back was trying to get up to the front and knocked all of them over. Mom seems to be intent on feeding just one. What's going on here--I refuse to be believe that there aren't birds flying around there. :tantrum2:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 10:14 am 

I agree, catwoman. I don't understand this mother's behavior. As you mentioned earlier, she feeds food pieces that are way too big for these kids and then fails to remove it as they are choking on it. She fed a whole foot to Baby the other day and the poor thing took forever to cough it up. She behaves like a new Mom and the kids are never filled up at any one meal. There must be shore birds around. I hear gulls in the background, unless they are too big to bring back to the nest. Usually, raptor parents stuff their kids before bedtime. I don't see that here. I am at a loss. Someone on chat mentioned that they don't hear songbirds anymore. This is the 1st year I have watched here, so I cannot say.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 10:32 am 

The little one got 2 maybe 3 bites out of the last feed, which was already started when I tuned in. Maybe he got fed right up front--I doubt it. :girlsad3:

I heard seals first thing this morning.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 12:21 pm 

:buzzybee: Just viewed the cam and it looks as if one of the older ones is starting to explore! I heard the seals and gulls yesterday, but gulls are the last thing I wanted to hear here. I read earlier in the season that they expected less gulls here, but I don't remember why. I'm hoping we don't have to deal with a gull this season!

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 12:43 pm 

:girlsad3: We had another feed and Baby got nothing, who is 4 days younger. The prey was prepped right in front of the youngest and the parent then moved the prey away from the chick to feed the older ones behind it in the shade. This is not a question of not seeing the chick. Mom has literally bumped her beak into the open beak of this chick while she is tearing off food. Given its size, I suspect that it is deemed weaker and is now being ignored. I do not believe it is getting enough to sustain it and will probably succumb over time. I will not be watching here anymore. It is too hard for me to see this healthy youngster struggling for a bite and being ignored.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 2:02 pm 

I keep hoping that she'll feed it, but unless something gives, that isn't likely. :girlsad3:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 2:56 pm 

The 6th feed of the day started at about 11:10 nest time, but the little one was in the middle of its 3 siblings and you could only catch mere glimpses of him. He did not get any bites this feed nor any of the one's I have witnessed today. I have not seen all of them, they started at 5 something this morning. I know there is some debate on chat that he may have received anywhere from 1-3 bites today, but all were apparently questionable. He is 5 days younger than the 1st hatch and 4 days younger than the 2nd and 3rd hatched. There is a huge disparity in the size of this one from the other 3 since the beginning and this places his open beak much further away to the beak of the parent feeding and I maintain from what I have viewed, along with this is the factor he is not in an ideal spot to receive the food as in comparison to the others. Usually, from what I have seen he is either too far out in front of the pack as in under the neck and/or chest of the parent as they feed the others or crammed between the others and not in direct view. They are only going to put food in beaks they see immediately, till gone. To me there is plenty of food being brought in by the parents and they are very capable. I see them as bringing smaller, more frequent, feedings than their fellow urban peregrine falcons that we are accustomed to watching. All of this is meant only as my view on what I am seeing. I really, really, hope this can be turned around for him, but at some point dehydration and weakness will set up if things do not change.

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 7:14 pm 

One of the moderator's posted something that says it all:

From Institute for Wildlife Studies posted on IWS Chat Sat May 11 2019 9:34am PDT
They are being fed as evolution and survival would dictate. If there is plenty of food, then the weakest will get fed. If not, only the strongest will survive. It's too bad they don't live in a city where there are plenty of fat pigeons. Here they survive mostly on song birds and small sea birds.

I tend to agree with that statement. There are lots of feeds going on here in a day, but they are small feeds. I never see the chicks drop out during a feed, because they are too full to take another bite, as I often see at our urban nests. Often the smallest gets fed once the older kids gets full. There is a chick in Buffalo that also hatched 4 days after its siblings, but it is being fed quite well by Dixie. It's a different environment with larger prey, such as pigeons and starlings, which are plentiful. At Anacapa, it is not the same and the parents choose to feed the strongest, rather than waste resources on the weak. It's a shame, because this chick was healthy.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 8:19 pm 

I agree. Too bad the younger 2 can't be put in the nest where there is ample food, but you start messing with nature, there are consequences. Its too bad Mother Nature doesn't cut down on the eggs for the places there isn't sufficient food. :tissue:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 9:32 pm 

Too bad the cam is on highlights still. I don't know what we will see once it comes back. And Nadia I'm glad you decided to return and that you found someone you could agree with. Anytime you see Institute for Wildlife Studies Mod ... that is Dr. Sharpe speaking ...

Here is a pic by Trish Rawlings of Mom and little one from a previous day and very appropriate on this Mother's Day Eve!!

:5val:

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 9:58 pm 

:loveheart:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 10:57 am 

SWINWK wrote:
And Nadia I'm glad you decided to return and that you found someone you could agree with. Anytime you see Institute for Wildlife Studies Mod ... that is Dr. Sharpe speaking ...

Swinwk, I am not sure what you mean by that statement. I am not looking for someone to agree with. I carried the statement over from the website and I happen to agree with it. I have no idea who Dr. Sharpe is, but I have a science degree and I have done bird research. I am not watching the cam, but I am keeping tabs on posted events on the cam site.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 12:46 pm 

Nadia, I could tell from your post that you did not realize who Dr. Sharpe is and was letting you know when you see IWS Mod, that it is he posting. I meant you no harm that you were able to agree with him. He too has a science degree and has done bird research and has played a tremendous role in what we see here. Previously, you had said you were not going to watch anymore and I said I was glad you were back. I had no idea that while you were choosing not to watch the cam, that you would continue to post. I thought it meant you would not be back. That's all that I meant by my statement ...

From Institute for Wildlife Studies ( This is who Dr. Sharpe is.)

Edit to add: Unfortunately, the cam has still been on highlights when I have checked in this morning.

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 4:11 pm 

I suspect that they turned the cam off for a few days. When they turned it back on, I can decide if I want to continue watching it or not. Not if the little one is gone. :girlsad3:

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 266 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next