Bird Cams Around the World

Peregrine Falcons, Eagles, Kestrels, Ospreys, Owls and Much, Much More!!!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 254 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: Eurasion, Eagleowl, Screech, Barred, Etc. ~ 2016-2019
PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 1:29 am 

SWR-UHU, Germany

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 1:05 pm 

Happy first Mai Holiday :1val:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 12:54 pm 

SWR-UHU, Germany

Quote:
Monday, 06. May 2019

Dear Uhufriends

After phases with sufficient food supply, it was quite short in the past week. Although each owlets got something to eat every night (exceptions was the night 4th to 5th May.). The amounts of food left a lot to be desired. As a yardstick for estimating when the chicks might seriously endanger their lives, we have seen two events in the past: 1. Four-week-old owlet have survived five days and nights without food, but were well nourished before. 2. An approximately 14-day chick starved after two days and nights without food.

As a conclusion from these observations, I try to grab the Uhus under the wings, if it is really scarce in my estimation. Just like this Sunday (May 5th). I fear a nearly lethal situation for chick 2, if it would get nothing in the coming night. Therefore, I borrowed a microwave from the neighbor today, quickly thawed two muskrats and in the afternoon drove to the rock on the Ahr. Muskrat 1 I put on the rocky ridge, which also serves the Uhus as booty transfer point. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Lotte sitting in the rock face, but did not look directly at her. With Muskrat 2, I then headed for Uhunest. When wet, the unsecured climbing up is such a thing, so I just wanted to climb below the nest and bridge the last eight meters in altitude by Bisamwurf. The first attempt failed, the muskrat soon followed gravity, but I could guess where it landed. So I went back down and hid the precious food to try again. This time I ventured for the throw two meters higher and tried again. The muskrat remained only briefly in the nest area, rolled and crashed down the rock wall. Untraceable.

Back at home, the view of the screen shows only a black square. The cam does not show a live image. Reason unknown. After the call with Christian Giese is at least clear that technically everything is ok locally. The problem lies with the server, an employee of Pixtura drives (today on Sunday!) To the enterprise to remedy the disturbance. Then the cam is running again. Finally, I can see how the Uhus react to my help attempts. Lotte sits back with the boys and her gaze clearly has that certain something of booty. She looks to the ridge and looks at "my" rat. Hopefully she will soon dare to finally feed the constantly begging chick 2. But she still hesitates, does not dare to go there at brightness, where just this monster still dealt with the muskrat.

Finally, half an hour later, Lotte brings the muskrat into the nest, and the udders are so thrilled that with excitement they are barely able to take specific chunks from their mother's beak. Now I am satisfied with my action. Although my body had been looking forward to a break after six days in a row, but who says A like a webcam, B must always be "ready in an emergency".

During this week, our owlets will be 28 days old.
Therefore, their ring comes closer. I'm planning on Saturday, 11th of May at 18:00.

Stefan Brücher
Gesellschaft zur Erhaltung der Eulen e. V.
http://uhu.webcam.pixtura.de/kalte-tage-wenig-beute/

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 3:52 am 

SWR-UHU, Germany -11.05.2019: Beringung der jungen Uhus

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Q9C7W4Yd0g

Quote:
After the ringing: Friday, May 17, 2019

Dear Great Horned Owl friends, as you can see on live stream, everything went well with the ringing on Saturday, and the GTO chicks are also really well nourished.

The female young bird weighed 1,625 grams. Even the much smaller male is clearly on the safe side with 1,200 grams. With this weight, the little ones can easily survive a food shortage. However, such has not occurred so far. The diet included several rabbits and mice, rats, jays and a tawny owl. The big chick was able to devour several times a young rabbit in one piece. It is always amazing to see how naturally the young GTO chicks perform such a laborious procedure.

For the entertainment of the cam I warmly ask for financial support. We are glad and relieved to be able to show you a breed of GTO in the livestream again this year. The number of spectators during the ringing reached a new maximum of 1,663 spectators and in "normal mode", the number of spectators is significantly higher than in previous years. In conjunction with the much higher image quality, however, this development brings us financially in the dust, because the huge data stream drives the running costs of the Cam powerful in the air. Still in the breeding year 2017 the total cost of the cam amounted to about 14,000 euros, and we were able to receive 10,000, - support from our main cam sponsor, the Brigitte and Dr. med. Konstanze Wegener Foundation. With the webcam bound donations of the spectators we could almost cover the rest. In the current year, the Foundation repeats its support thankfully. The total cost, however, will increase considerably. I expect an order of 19,000 euros.

Therefore, I ask you: Please support the webcam by a - of course tax deductible - donation. Please specify the purpose "Webcam" and name and address, so I can send you a donation receipt.

Despite all the enthusiasm for the live pictures, I feel that our practical protection work for eagle owls, little owls and barn owls should not suffer from a financial burden from the cam!

Donations account: Society for the Conservation of Owls e.V.
Postbank Cologne
IBAN DE66370100500041108501
BIC PBNKDEFF

I wish all the audience a lot of fun watching the now increasingly active Junguhus. Every day they will expand their action radius, jump, jump, run, beat their wings and try to catch "phantom mice". Enjoy every moment, because in four weeks the little ones will be big and leave the nest.

Yours sincerely
Stefan Brücher
Gesellschaft zur Erhaltung der Eulen e. V.

http://uhu.webcam.pixtura.de/tagebuch/

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 10:08 am 

SWR-UHUs

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 7:05 am 

SWR-UHUs

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 5:38 am 

A pair of Snowy Owls in Barrow, Alaska has five(!) owlets and are apparently doing great.
Video of my screenshots:

Live webcam:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:05 am 

I got lucky and saw 4 of the chicks.
# 1 Image

# 2,3,4 in one shot

# 3 and 4 close-up ( This could be a female on the left and a male on the right, based on their feather spots)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:50 pm 

DEF :1val:

09/23 FROM FB Pot Plant Owl

2 h ago. ·

I've waited as long as I could to write this entry. Months of waiting, hoping, searching...against all odds. Finally it is time to say a few words about our Pot Plant Owl family....

I've started this entry in my mind a hundred times over. Each time is different. Each starting point takes me an inch closer to the truth of what I'm feeling. This process has taken me to the knife's edge of loss and, coupled with the grief of losing my mother months earlier, has left my emotions raw.

I started off with the simple, factual entry in my mind:
“The PPO owls never returned and, presumably, the last of the PPO line in the area were taken by the Trich disease. The end.”

That didn't sound right at all, so I added in:
“We were so privileged to have the owls nest with us for over a decade but there is a season for everything in Life and it had to end eventually.”

Nope, this entry was no good either. It sounded like the final announcement for a TV show. Then I thought of what many viewers and readers might say:
“We were so lucky and have so many wonderful memories about the PPO owl family.”

Hmmm, because those memories somehow may it so much easier to process and deal with the end of the owls? I think not. The trap in that line of thinking, as I found out, is that the more you ponder on these memories from a place of raw grief and loss, the more these memories take your breath away. Try as you may, you can't exhale to find relief. So, you look the other way and try to forget.
But soon I found myself trapped by one of Life's magical laws - the one that goes:
What you resist, persists.

I looked in my phone gallery – owls. I opened my writing notes – owls. I looked in our bookshelf – owls. I cleared up my jewellery box – owls. Owl pictures, owl photographs, owl trinkets, owl salt n pepper shakers – the list goes on and on. The very first night we moved into this house, Pappa and Mamma (original PPO) visited our balcony and I fell asleep to their hoots. Until recently, this owl family has been right here – all the time. Now they are gone. And as much as I tried to keep my eyes shut and walk through my house, I couldn't do it. So, it was time to face it head on.

The next entry I tried in my head went something like this:
“I'm really sad about the loss of our owls but I know that their deaths helped educate people about diseases like Trich.”

'Sad? That's all you got?' said the voice inside my head. 'You can do better than that! Say what you are really feeling.'

So, my entry changed:
“While I am sad, I am actually pretty angry if you must know the truth. I'm frustrated that I couldn't save them, mad as heck that people in general don't seem to care about helping Nature and the Planet. I'm peeved at being unwittingly drawn into wildlife politics. Instead of just being supported and allowed to grieve, we had to defend ourselves and our actions.”

Now I'm on a roll so out it all comes:
“I wish we had known more about Trich and could have done something to prevent the owls from dying. I wish we had spent more time watching the owls in the last two years.”

Here comes the guilt:
“I wish we had never started thinking that it would be nice one year not to have to fret 24/7 about wayward owl chicks disappearing, getting trapped under cars, being attacked by dogs, getting caught in electric fences. I wish I had never said, never thought, that I wanted a small break from the responsibility that went with this PPO venture.”

Followed by the pain:
“I can't bear looking onto the balcony now. It hurts too much to take down all the perches and covers that prevented the chicks from falling off the balcony.”

We are so conditioned in society to answer “I'm fine / We're fine”, swallowing our deepest hurts and upsets. This is why now is the time to write this entry:
For people who haven't gone through it to appreciate what it is like to grieve and feel loss, and
For those of you who have followed our dear PPO family over all these years who are grieving too

Am I okay? I'm better than I was yesterday, and tomorrow I'll be better still. This is all I can hope for you out there who loved these sweet PPO owls as much as we did.

There's nothing left to say but THANK YOU to each and every one of you who followed our owls; delighted in their mischievous behaviour; revelled in their growing up and comings of age; learnt a thing or two about the owls; paid closer attention to your gardens / parks / nature reserves; made new global and local friendships; and found a place of belonging in the PPO family. You are all very special to us and we honour and appreciate every one of you.

We will keep this page open to remind people of our precious Pot Plant Owl family.
Thank you all!
Tracy (and Allan)

:egg10:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:21 pm 

SWR-UHU, Germany: 10/11/2019 21:56 - Leo visits traditional nest place

Video by BeateBayern

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWPfXHE ... e=emb_logo

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Eurasion, Eagleowl, Screech, Barred, Etc. ~ 2016-2020
PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 9:00 pm 
Global Moderator

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:16 am 

SWR-UHU, Germany

Here are some snaps of Stefan Brücher's video with a visitor
who explored the nest one day before & from beate's video 20 Feb 2020 >
:toast

https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=PLvZ ... e=emb_logo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdN1XXexxUQ

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 5:17 pm 

SWR-UHU, Germany

video by beatebayern (looduskalender-forum):
21/02/2020 18:23 Lotte on trad. nestplace, Leo on lower ledge

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... e=emb_logo

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 11:50 am 

SWR-UHU, Germany

Has Lotte laid first egg?
I'm not sure - let's wait & see if Lotte gives us a better insight view today ...
but >

Quote:
Bea
14:29 - I think we have an egg now
For me it looks as if she drops the egg at 14:29:48

https://www.youtube.com/embed/z1vUvlPBCZw

One can hear these squeaking sounds when she is pressing at 14:27 and 14:28

:hmmmm

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 12:03 pm 

SWR-UHU, Germany: Lotte breeding?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:30 am 

2 eggs are intact > first hatch last night :

:hatchegg:

10/04/2020 02:15 Lotte removes egg shell (Eagle Owl, Germany, Eifel)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 2:52 pm 

SWR-UHU, Germany

10/04/2020 15:38 First feeding - long version (Eagle Owl, Germany, Eifel)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcBFCN1 ... e=emb_logo

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 2:54 pm 
Global Moderator

:hatchegg: :eggthumb:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 9:06 am 

SWR-UHU: Lotte & the little beak and head of first chick

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 4:05 am 

- :hatchegg: :hatchegg:

SWR-UHU: Lottes feeds the two chicks. 2nd hatch was yesterday evening.

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 254 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next