Bird Cams Around the World

Peregrine Falcons, Eagles, Kestrels, Ospreys, Owls and Much, Much More!!!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:29 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 324 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
 Post subject: Re: SAN JOSE ~ 2019
PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 11:28 am 

ljames wrote:
My dear Clara. I will hate never seeing her again. At least she won't have to watch her babies die on the ledge when they could be rescued, which is why I had to quit watching the cam. I do hope that her little chicks will stay safe. It will be up to her I guess to make sure they are prepared as FC will most likely be trying to win the new female over. This is all based on her still being alive . I will surely miss her. I wish her and FC all the best. The new female will appreciate FC as a mate, after all, Clara did train him.
:egg15:

Will miss you Clara.

Remember (Harrisburg) New Girl died before training the juvies. Although Lil Dad had a female to woo, he still trained the juvies that he and New Girl had. I know cause I spent some evenings across the street with Jane watching him! :7val:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 1:31 pm 

New female has been identified as Grace, a 2016 hatch from San Francisco - 68/R. FYI: I don't know if this is from the PGE site, or another location in SF.

They have video of an unbanded tiercel and are saying based on malar stripes, this bird looks different from Fernando - so a new male also.

Here's a sequence of events from Paula:

"The following are some of the occurrences from this past week - the best I can remember from the notes I took plus a bit of information I was given from BOG.

May 31 was the last night that I saw the juveniles use the louver to spend the night.

June 2 - BOG tell me they saw intruder's in the area that engaged with Clara. She had prey to feed the juveniles, was plucking on the parapet but then they lost sight of her after that.

June 3 - the first time that I saw one falcon on the ledge corner & one on the louver. At the time I didn't recognize this as unusual but it was not normal behavior of Clara & Fernando.

June 4 & 5 - same situation seeing 1 falcon on the ledge corner and 1 on the louver. June 5th was when I had zoomed in on the ledge bird seeing the malar stripes on the head markings and a very white chest. I should be fired as an observer because it was obviously not one of our usual birds. :-( That fact didn't sink into my brain. *sigh*

June 6 - again I notice the night time ritual of 1 bird on the ledge corner and 1 on the louvers but think nothing of it. John Lewis calls to ask if I'm watching the cams. Other BOG have notified him of intruder birds being in the area. This is when I recall seeing a different falcon on the ledge corner yesterday. Finally the light bulb lights up in my brain. As darkness falls both birds are on the louver as bookends.

June 7 - I get up early to assist in hopefully ID'ing these birds. I capture photos of the ledge bird and video of the louver bird. At this point we know the ledge bird is a new bird but we want to know if the louver bird could possibly be Clara or Fernando. As I watch the louver bird I realize they are a banded bird. (Left leg) What a surprise! It takes hours of observation but I finally determine that the band ID ends with an 'R'. BOG are also able to determine that the banded bird on the louver is the bigger bird which means they are a falcon while the other that usually appears on the ledge corner is the tiercel.

June 8 - the main goal is to determine the band number on the falcon. She stands on the louvers with her back to the cam so it's not until 12:40pm that I actually get the full view of the band with video taken so I can get confirmation from John Lewis that I'm reading the band correctly. I also want to mention that BOG showed up early downtown to assist in watching the actions of both birds. John confirms for me that he is 85% sure that the band # is 68/R.

Here is the history of the falcon, band ID # 68/R. She hatched in San Francisco in 2016. She was spotted at the Sunnyvale water tower by some of our BOG that monitor other areas in March of 2018. Her name is Grace! We will continue to monitor these birds and hope to see that band number more clearly and get a good photo of her. Right now she always perches on the louver while her handsome tiercel perches on the ledge corner. At night, one or both choose the louver.

That's the fact as we know them as of today. Whew! Thanks to all that spent many hours observing these birds. We look forward to seeing how things unfold!

Paula A.
forum moderator

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 2:41 pm 

thanks mwplay was just coming to post that.( was at church)

here is video o f new tiercel.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzlmy16 ... e=youtu.be

yesterday they had a message and pictures indicated it may be Fernando but is a new one.

I really believe,in my heart, that Fernnado and Clara will have the kids away and continue training them, and caring for them

I will post here, all I get. Paula has given me permission as she knows there is a whole world out there that cares.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 3:10 pm 

bev. wrote:
thanks mwplay was just coming to post that.( was at church)

here is video o f new tiercel.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzlmy16 ... e=youtu.be

yesterday they had a message and pictures indicated it may be Fernando but is a new one.

I really believe,in my heart, that Fernnado and Clara will have the kids away and continue training them, and caring for them

I will post here, all I get. Paula has given me permission as she knows there is a whole world out there that cares.

I agree Bev. I think they are fine. Clara is getting up there in age. I think she's 12 or 13 this year. I believe her 1st breeding year was in 2006, and they saw her come in as a 1st year bird in, I think, 2005. Will be interesting to see what takes place next year. Wonder if Fernando will challenge this new male for his territory back. But then again, we don't know how old he is because he came in as an adult. And maybe Clara will come back, or go off to retirement just like EC did.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:49 pm 

Thanks mwplay. I will miss Clara and Fernando, but I hope they didn't get hurt defending their territory from the invaders.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:53 pm 

She is very entertaining. Maybe some day she will decide to visit the ledge so the rest of you can see her for yourself and not just thru a video. Meanwhile, she is rather something to watch when she's there. :-)

https://youtu.be/EuVdd1j5m3I

Paula A.
forum moderator

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:13 pm 

Niecey (Harrisburg) does that. Of course the main problem is the bugs she's trying to get off of her. Thanks for posting the video, Bev. :1val:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:27 pm 

This is the first time that I've seen the new tiercel checking out the whole nesting ledge area. To say that it gave me an odd feeling watching him explore the territory usually occupied by Clara and Fernando (and offspring) is to put it mildly. After being so thrilled watching the juveniles just a short time ago and being so happy, it's difficult for me to see a takeover by this new couple. But I digress, it had to happen some day. I wish Grace and her beau all the best as we wait and see how things unfold in the future.

https://youtu.be/EvnESNd-OqQ

Paula A.
forum moderator

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:30 pm 

06/19 7.36 am -9.48 am

I do not know who it was, probably Male because it is small but I may be wrong

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:45 am 

Grace and tiercel size difference June 27 2019

author : SanJose PFA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nylh51zFOLM

A great video for comparing the size difference between the two of them then a nice closeup of Grace by herself.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 11:18 am 

Thank you, Loza! I see he's got some freckles on his chest, as a further means of telling them apart. I'm gonna wait to do name changes in the Nesting Information until its apparent they're going to stay.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:17 pm 

07/23 6.21 am Falcon(Grace ?) departure

https://youtu.be/Z0ITcC-j-sQ

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:30 pm 

6.29 am Falcon {Grace ?) again with visit, departure

https://youtu.be/XOjpEwPkFqk

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:38 pm 

8.01 am Falcon (Male ?) with long visit

https://youtu.be/P68pJHA-S60

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 12:02 pm 

07/24 6.27 am - 7.10 am

Male with visits 3X, departures. Grace arrived

Male visit 1

Male visit 2

Male visit 3

She arrived

https://youtu.be/mv6kSq5-v7M

I do not know when she left, I had to leave

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:59 am 

Thank you, Loza! :1val:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 2:43 pm 

07/26 10.54 am - 11.02 am

A pair of pigeons she in the nest he penetrates the area

https://youtu.be/4Tw-5zMkJo0

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:12 pm 

08/07 6.45 am - 7.11 am Grace visits the landing, disappears from view

https://youtu.be/y-XnlOnnLjQ

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:19 pm 

7.15 am - 7.44 am Grace returns to the field of view, departure

https://youtu.be/6uNrF22WLQQ

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:02 am 

08/10 6.13 am - 6.30 am Grace , I think

5 min later was empty

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 324 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next