Bird Cams Around the World

Peregrine Falcons, Eagles, Kestrels, Ospreys, Owls and Much, Much More!!!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 271 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: HOG ISLAND, ME~2019
PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 12:10 am 

Rachel is sleeping on the perch for the 1st night that I know of.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:49 am 

The chicks were banded today and we have a male and female! Rachel returned after the banding to the nest with a left leg injury. See video by Arlene Beech of Rachel's return with an obvious leg injury and Dr. B's commentary on the events.

Rachel's return to the nest with a left leg injury.

Dr. B. • 3 hours ago
I'm so pleased to see that the overwhelming sentiment in the group is so positive. I was dreading coming online to see what people were saying and now couldn't be prouder of you all.
I am confident that Rachel's leg is not broken. It's just not flopping around the way a broken leg would. I think it's some sort of bad sprain.
While I was up in the nest to get the 1st young, she was flying around and complaining and diving at me like she always does. I do know that she didn't injure the leg around the nest. There are plenty of eye witnesses to that. We did see her fly off when another pair of Ospreys came near, and there may have been an eagle involved as well.
As you all know, I know that this is stressful to her and Steve (if he happens to be around when the banding takes place), but in balance I think the brief period of stress she feels is an acceptable price to pay for the scientific benefit of banding and giving the Hog Island campers such an intimate experience with nature.
There's good news here, in a sort of back-door way. If this had happened to Steve, it would be much more serious. There are cases where females have fledged young after losing a male, but it's rare.
Steve's fine--he brought in two (I think) fish after the banding episode. And the young were tearing off some food on their own. So what we need is for Rachel's leg to improve enough that she can stand on it and tear up fish to feed to her son and daughter.
We're pretty sure that the older young is a female. She weighed 1560g (3.4 lbs) and her little brother weight 1200g (2.64 lbs). She had a pretty thick tarsus (lower leg) and his was rather slender, which agrees with our conclusion. Let the naming begin.
When they brought my birthday strawberry shortcake in for desert tonight, Rachel still hadn't returned to the nest and I was worried. My wish, as I blew out the candle (the kitchen couldn't figure out how to put the other 67 candles on the shortcake) was that Rachel would return to the nest. She did about 5 minutes later. I didn't know my wish had to specify that she return in good health :-(.
Keep the faith, I think it's going to work out, and thanks for all the good cheer on my birthday.
Dr. B

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:29 am 

It's difficult to see Rachel struggling this morning to feed. Steve has fed the chicks some and I believe the chicks have self-fed some from pieces of fish that Rachel has dropped in the nest. Video is by Regina Horning:

"Rachel's 2nd Feeding Attempt around 10:20 am EDT - Hog Island Osprey Nest 2019 07 10"

This is a capture by Arlene Beech of the mannequins put up this year to hopefully scare off the owls and such:

And message from Poppy on the naming of the chicks this year:

Poppy Mod • 10 minutes ago
Hi friends! I already saw some name suggestions for EU (female, 1560g (3.4 lbs) and ES (male, 1200g (2.64 lbs).

This season, Hog Island's staff and the RR instructors will name our chicks. This is to acknowledge their dedication, care, endless efforts, and timely feedbacks in regard of our most favorite osprey couple. We will hear the exciting news within the next day or two. So please, stay tuned!

In addition, I would like to give a big shout-out to all of you! We are all concerned and our thoughts are with Rachel, Steve and their offspring. You are amazingly understanding, patient and supportive to each other. Kudos!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:18 pm 

Rachel resting her left leg off the perch capture by KarenMartin from a few minutes ago. Poppy reported earlier that Dr. Kress has sent footage to those involved in bird health of injury earlier today. Awaiting results.

:5val:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:08 am 

Great capture of left leg swelling by Homebird from yesterday:

Edit to add: Steve delivered a fish still flopping to the nest and then flew away. There are at least 2 other fish on the nest. Rachel is struggling to feed herself and the youngest chick from a previous fish, but she is still unable to grasp it with her talons to steady it and tear the meat. She has gotten very small and inadequate pieces of it that the youngest has tried to take from her beak, but no real success here. The older chick is attempting to feed from another previous fish, but same scenario as it does not hold the fish steady with it's talon to tear the meat. It has gotten some inadequate bites. Eventually, Rachel pulled up a tail from the nest floor that the oldest chick grabbed with it's beak from her, but was unable to swallow it as it is too big. It made the motion of trying to grab it with it's talon to steady it while holding the tail in it's beak, but it did not have the skill to do so. Then, the youngest went over to try and self-feed from a fish, but was unsuccessful. It also went to it's sister hoping to get a piece of the tail, but could not. Very difficult to watch the three try to eat this 1st feed of the day. It has not been successful, so far. And Steve has returned with another fish and eventually flew. Yesterday he did do some feeding to the chicks and probably will today at some point and hopefully to Rachel too. She is on the branch now and the chicks are trying to self-feed again ...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:08 pm 

:5val: This is the best feed from Rachel that I've seen and gives me hope. I think she landed on the fish with the right talons and was able to secure it to pull and tear. Video of the feed is by Arlene Beech:

Rachel manages to feed the chicks! Hog Island Ospreys. 10.20 / 11 July 2019

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:26 pm 

This feed from earlier today was different as she initially speared the fish with her beak and pulled out bites. It appears she has not come up with a substitute technique while she mends and each feed is different. But, she is trying!! This feed the youngest 1 benefited from, even though she lost the fish off the side of the nest eventually. One of the bites was extra large and it took him most of this feed to get it down. There were bites before and after this, however. Chat is reporting bonking has resumed here as overall they are not getting as much food as pre-injury. I know Steve brought fish in today, but do not know if he helped with any of the feeds or if Rachel ate enough or at least some today. Video is by Arlene Beech:

Rachel props herself up to feed her chicks. Hog Island Ospreys. 14.30 / 11 July 2019

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:35 pm 

The chicks have been getting more food today than previous. Steve has fed them at least twice that I have seen and did a great job. It takes him longer to feed them, but he is very patient with it. I have not witnessed any bonking while here today. Have been watching Rachel try to feed herself for quite some time now. She is placing the left talons over the fish, but not with enough of the force she needs to hold it steady while she tears in her normal manner. She is only getting small bites, when she does get a bite. The swelling from her injury continues.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:00 pm 

The following comment is from one of the campers at Raptor Rapture this past week on banding next year. It really gives me pause. This in combination with Dr. B's comment after the banding and Rachel's "coincidental" injury that he thought it was important for the campers to see the banding of the chicks will be seen in a different light for me now.

"They said at camp they won’t be banding next year. Not because of Rachel but because there isn’t a raptor camp in July. Rachel will be delighted, i’m Sure!"

WOW!! :girlsad3:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:15 am 

:5val: It's Halley and Dion!! Today's update from Poppy:

Poppy Mod • 6 hours ago • edited
Hog Island Audubon’s Intervention Policy with news about Manny Quinn and much more https://medium.com/@explore...

Happy Sunday, Osprey Friends!

Drum roll please! Our chicks have been named by Hog Island’s staff and instructors. May I present to you:
Halley, the female chick - banded as EU - is named after the osprey’s species name haliaetus
Dion, the male chick - banded ES - is named after the genus of the Osprey (Pandion)
Great choices and a good omen, if I may say. One chick of the famous P-clutch was named after the ospreys’ scientific name too: Pan. That year, 2014, was the last year in total bliss - for the ospreys family and for our community.
Now back to our daily bulletin:
No doubt, Rachel’s injury needs time to heal! A sprain or strain takes weeks to heal, so don’t expect miracles over night. Take each sign of improvement as a step forward. Of course, in the course of a day, there are moments where Rachel seems to be worse again, but as I said yesterday: don’t judge the situation by a single moment you are witnessing. See the big picture – meaning the entire day.

Rachel was more alert, yesterday. She preened, hopped into the nest in the morning, fed the chicks a bit every now and then, shading them from sun. Tough fish, like flounder, are quite a challenge for her to rip apart. It takes more pressure of the food to pin it to the nest. Other species are easier. She holds them with her left foot, as well as possible under the given circumstances.

Steve broke this year’s fish record, yesterday: He delivered 14 fish, yesterday. This time, he started feeding the chicks from the very start. Kudos, Steve! You earned your place in the history books!

Halley and Dion fared great, yesterday. With the abundance of fish, there is no reason for sibling rivalry. They had big crops, dozed together, spent quality time with mom and dad, and were interested in the activities beyond the nest. I even saw some wingercizing...

A little recap
Rachel was injured, on July 9th. She was seen flying off when another pair of ospreys came near, and there may have been an eagle involved as well. When she returned to the nest, she wasn’t able to stand, stumbling across the nest, staying almost motionless for the rest of the day. Her left leg was injured; she seems to have a strain or a sprain, no wounds, though. During the following days she improved little by little: tucking the left, injured leg in, putting a little weight on it. But is not able to feed the chicks or eat properly. She isn’t able to hold the fish. However, she is surveilling the area, chasing of all birds that come to close to the nest.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:59 am 

Bald Eagle fly-by a few minutes ago with Rachel alerting. Video of event is by Regina Horning:

"Alert and BE Fly-by slo-mo - Hog island Osprey Nest 2019 07 14"

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:38 am 

:buzzybee: Recently, Rachel has been shielding the chicks from the sun. Swelling is down some on her left leg and she brought a stick in to the nest yesterday grasped in her right talons as she is still unable to move the talons on the left. Here's a tidbit that Poppy posted earlier on how osprey spend their days in the winter:

Poppy Mod • 30 minutes ago
Ever wondered how osprey spend their days, during migration? Chat friend AnnieB posted this a couple of years ago:

During the winter ospreys sleep 12 hrs, forage 1/2 hr, fly around another 1/2 hr, and just hang out the rest of the time. Breeders have a more rigorous schedule, but winter is easy, once migration is done.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:52 am 

This morning, I was going to post of Rachel's progress over the last week in being able to once again fish as this has been witnessed on cam even. But, I came in to the very sad news of Dion being taken through the night by a GHO and once again tears are flowing for this wonderful osprey family's loss. :sorrow: Dion!!:

Poppy Mod • 7 hours ago • edited
Hog Island Audubon’s Intervention Policy with news about Manny Quinn and much more https://medium.com/@explore...

Hello, Osprey friends!

It is a sad day, once again, for our Hog Island family: ospreys and humans alike. This morning, at 2:02 am EDT, a Great Horned Owl took Dion from the nest. Silently, unpredicted - as it is their modus operandi. Rachel was on its tail feather but couldn't do anything. It happened too quickly.

The formidable staff of Hog Island, took all measures that were possible - the Manny Family, the floodlights - in vain. That is the course of Nature. Remember Rob Bierregaard's words:

Nature is not cruel. Being cruel implies intent to harm someone or something just to do harm. Nature is unforgiving, harsh and often random, but it’s not cruel.
I completely understand, if some of you need some time off the chat to cope with this situation. Get all the comfort you need, and join whenever you feel better and more comfortable. You are always welcome!

Edit to add: Video by Arlene Beech:

View with caution or do not view as this video is of the GHO taking Dion.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 3:36 am 

Audio of interview with Dr. B is playing through the night as a deterrent to the owls here at the Hog Island nest!

From Poppy this morning:

Please, read Steve Kress’ words about the situation:

Dear Osprey friends:
The sad loss of osprey chick Dion last night is a reminder once again of the power and speed of Great Horned Owls. I was hopeful that our deterrence plan with the mannequins would give the chicks a chance to fledge, but it is likely that owls are becoming habituated to the presence of the mannequins, even though we have moved them regularly and changed their costumes over the past three plus weeks since they were first deployed on July 2nd. To add additional deterrence around the nest, this evening we have added an audio element. If one listens carefully, one can hear a recording of a previous Explore.org interview with Dr. Rob Bierregaard about ospreys. This is on a repeating cycle and will remain on until dawn. Adding audio recordings of human voices to the vicinity of the nest will not bother Rachel and Steve as they are accustomed to hearing voices.
We hope that adding recorded voice in combination with the mannequin family and lighting will help to discourage the owls. This adaptive management approach is a novel and previous untested way to deter owls, so we do not know the outcome, but feel it is important to try to provide a varied deterrence plan. Our staff is determined to do what we can to protect the ospreys without harming owls or other predators in the Hog Island wildlife sanctuary. At the beginning of the season, I summarized the rationale behind our deterrence plan and if followers of the osprey nest have not read this, I suggest they review our policy as it relates to protecting ospreys. [follow the link at the very top of this comment, please!
Our goal remains to provide a window into the life of ospreys. Predation is part of the osprey experience. Remember that ospreys are long-lived and have many opportunities to fledge chicks. This pair has fledged eleven chicks since Explore.org began following the nest in 2012. The predation that we see at this Hog Island nest no doubt occurs often along the Maine coast where most ospreys nest in trees with owls and eagles as neighbors. The behavior of Rachel spending the night alert at the nest is evidence that owls and ospreys have a long history together.
Best wishes,
Stephen Kress
Executive Director
Seabird Restoration Program

Remember Dr. B.’s words?

Nature is not cruel. Being cruel implies intent to harm someone or something just to do harm. Nature is unforgiving, harsh and often random, but it’s not cruel.

I completely understand, if some of you need some time off the chat to cope with this situation. Get all the comfort you need, and join whenever you feel better and more comfortable. You are always welcome!

Stay strong, Rachel, Steve, Halley, and chat fam!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:20 pm 

:buzzybee: From Audubon on loss of Dion:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 7:22 am 

:5val: Halley fledged this morning!! GIF by M.J Mod:

"To the Sun She Flew"

Edit to add: And from Mod Poppy:

"Halley took off to new Adventures at 7 am EDT - Hog Island Osprey Nest 2019 08 03"

And both views in Slo-Mo per Arlene Beech:

"Halley's fledge. Both views in Slo-Mo. Hog Island Ospreys. 07.02 / 03 August 2019"

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 5:08 pm 

Halley came home for the 1st time since fledging yesterday at 0700, landing on the perch initially and then to the actual nest as Steve brought her a fish. See adorable capture of Halley eating her fish on the nest by lalabanker11:

:5val:

Video of landing that she nailed and entire event per Arlene Beech:

:5val: "Halley comes home for dinner! Hog Island Ospreys. 04 August 2019"

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 5:51 pm 

Entire family on the nest from a few minutes ago, capture by 4meowsmom-MA:

:flirty:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:05 pm 

:buzzybee: C9 from the Charlo nest fledged at 10:29 MDT and can be seen circling above her Mom several times for her 1st flight. She has since returned to the nest for a meal. Video is by Arlene Beech.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:10 pm 

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 271 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 14  Next