Bird Cams Around the World

Peregrine Falcons, Eagles, Kestrels, Ospreys, Owls and Much, Much More!!!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 354 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 18  Next
 Post subject: Re: CHESAPEAKE BAY, MD~2018 and 2019
PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 1:52 pm 

Bev, if you enjoyed watching them yesterday, then you are sure to enjoy today as Archie's Mom possibly joined the party earlier with shocking results from Audrey (to me) when she flew in to find her there with Archie ... ??????? Video "Audrey: Is this MY Nest? Chesapeake Osprey Nest 2019 07 31" is by Regina Hornung:

:egg13:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:11 pm 

Audrey has been feeding Archie today as she is now. Archie usually self-feeds. Lil Bit is also on the nest currently. Yesterday, Mrs. com was going to ask around the neighborhood if any of them had a fledgling missing from their nest ... no word yet. Lil Bit seems to be more calm this afternoon than she has been over the last couple of days.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 2:54 pm 

SWINWK wrote:
Bev, if you enjoyed watching them yesterday, then you are sure to enjoy today as Archie's Mom possibly joined the party earlier with shocking results from Audrey (to me) when she flew in to find her there with Archie ... ??????? Video "Audrey: Is this MY Nest? Chesapeake Osprey Nest 2019 07 31" is by Regina Hornung:

:egg13:

What a riot!!!!
Thanks for posting, Swinwk! Maybe Audrey was thinking, if I don't look, maybe that bird will disappear!
:penguin:
:clap:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:18 pm 

:teehee: bonbon!! :dancegirl:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 4:28 pm 

just a great thing here. both youngsters are well fed. after th e year I have had, this is heartwarming

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 1:02 pm 

things looked so well yesterday that I thought I would check and cam is on highlights. too bad

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 1:34 pm 

My understanding is Mr. COM has to wait for low tide to get to the cam or at least that is what we were told earlier today. Here is msg from mod on the cam:

Poppy Mod • 4 hours ago
Hello, friends! I just heard from COM, that the cam is down due to power interruption caused by rain from heavy thunderstorm yesterday pm. He hopes to have power restored as soon as possible.

Here is a video by Regina Hornung of a different adult who visited the nest yesterday while Archie was on and it has a white band on the left leg:

"New female Visitor around 9 am EDT on Chesapeake's Osprey Nest 2019 08 02"

Also, this is interesting as to how far some of these juvies may be traveling when stopping on a nest and staying several days to be fed as usually it has been assumed they are from a nest nearby:

Poppy Mod • 4 hours ago
Rob Bierregaard aka Dr. B. just sent me an email, that I would like to share with you:

About the “E.T.” at the Chesapeake nest, a couple of years back we put a satellite tag on a young Osprey in New Hampshire. 3 or 4 days after we tagged her, she flew sound about 150 miles and took over a nest in Rhode Island. She evicted the young that was hatched there and stayed on the nest, getting fed by the adults for 11 days. She then flew into a guy wire on a power line pole (or something like that) and was found dead on the ground. Once she was out of the picture the young who was born at that nest returned to his rightful place.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:51 am 

While we wait for the cam to come back, here is a pic (note Mom's face) posted by Poppy the Mod yesterday:

Poppy Mod • 18 hours ago • edited
Dr. B. is on a roll today! Apparently, he is intrigued by our nest's events. This is a female, trying to figure out why there are 6 young in her nest on the Westport River in SE Mass!

:teehee:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:55 am 

:buzzybee: Archie was seen last eve by Mrs. COM! Here's update from Mod Poppy on status of cam and observations by Mrs. COM:

Happy Tuesday, Osprey Friends!

I heard back from our tech group. Apparently, the cam was damaged more than expected, during the thunderstorm a few days back. The team shipped a new part of the equipment to the Secret Location. We hope that it will fix the issue. Thank you for your continuing patience.

Occasionally, Mrs. COM will provide us with her observations, as long as her job allows it. This is her report from last evening:

I haven’t been around very much, but just went out looking.
LB has been either in the nest or on top of the pole. Audrey just brought him a good size fish. He ate for awhile, then she took it back and went over to my neighbor’s dock one house to the south of us (the former poop dock, which has been redone and is now nice). She returned to the nest with the rest of the fish a little while ago after LB came down off the camera pole and back into the nest.

Archie has not been around much. He showed up a little while ago, and was hanging out in the scraggly stick tree. I went out to put the binoculars on him (too far into dusk for any reasonable photos), and it was him. He let me get closer, and then took a loop around the neighborhood, headed to some big trees north and south of us. He ended up in a tree at the edge of the water at my neighbor’s house two to the south of us, where he is now. He flew over the nest on his way, and Audrey and LB fussed at him so he kept going. I personally haven’t seen him in the nest since later yesterday afternoon/early evening.
I will take a look in the morning before I leave for work.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:00 pm 

:buzzybee: Report from Mrs. COM on last evening and further down a report from her this morning:

Poppy Mod • 10 hours ago • edited

Happy Hump Day, Osprey Friends!

As promised, Mrs. COM provided us with her observations. This is her report from last evening - Thank you, sooo very much!:

5:00 pm: When I got home from work, Audrey was in the scraggly stick tree and LB was on top of the camera pole.
6:37 pm: Just looked out and LB is on top of the pole, Archie is in the nest. No sign of either adult at the moment, hopefully they are out fishing!
6:57 pm: Audrey and Archie in scraggly stick tree, Archie eating a fish. LB on nest
7:23 pm: Audrey, LB and Archie in nest, nibbling on a very small piece of fish
7:57 pm: Tom on boat lift, Audrey and Archie in scraggly stick tree, LB on top of camera pole
8:15 pm: Audrey, LB and Archie in scraggly stick tree, Tom on boat lift.

:buzzybee: Poppy Mod • 5 hours ago
Hi friends! This is Mrs. COM's morning update:

6:30 am: LB and Archie in nest, LB eating a fish. Audrey in scraggly stick tree.
7:30 am: LB on top of camera pole, Archie in nest, Tom and Audrey on boat lift, Audrey eating a big fish with head still on. Not sure who caught it.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:36 pm 

:clap: Cam has been back for more than an hour and Lil Bit can be seen on the nest eating a fish on the DVR!! Nobody on the nest now.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:41 pm 

Archie and Lil Bit are currently on the nest!!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:49 am 

:buzzybee: Last week there was a different adult osprey visitor to the nest as this one was not banded. Audrey arrived and the visitor hung it's head in submission and Audrey's response was the same as last time ... nothing! Immediately after Archie's arrival, Calico Tom began bringing more fish to the nest again as earlier in the season (8-10) not counting that brought to branches for his family. They are all eating more off the nest now, including Archie. Lil Bit has been caught on cam successfully fishing, but Archie as yet has not. Although Archie can self-feed, occasionally Audrey still beak feeds him. They are expecting Audrey to leave within the next few days for her migration. Here is the latest update with photos from Mrs. COM:

:flirty:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:55 pm 

:taz: Archie attacked Lil Bit on the nest last eve and it was surprising to me with the forcefulness. They are okay. One of the commentators who saw the whole event said a fish was delivered and Archie let Lil Bit have it. However, when Lil Bit was done there was not much left for Archie. Then when Lil Bit was doing some nestorations Archie attacked. Lil Bit immediately went into submission to him. Later in the video you can see Archie pick at Lil Bit's wing feathers. Lil Bit remained in the submissive position till he flew from the nest. Poppy the Mod said Archie had received only the 1st of 5 fish delivered to the nest yesterday and he may have been on edge. It is unknown if they received fish off the nest. I have seen him be aggressive once before since his arrival, by pulling Lil Bit's feathers. The following video of the event is by Regina Hornung:

"Extended Version of Achie's Attack - Chesapeake Osprey Nest 2019 08 19"

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:51 pm 

:teehee: The mod posted this video from April 2nd of this year (that I did not see at the time) and it's too good to not share now! Video is by Regina Hornung:

"Audrey Delivering the Capital Gazette - Chesapeake Osprey Nest 2019 04 02"

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:20 pm 

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:51 am 

:7val: As far as I know it has been several days since Audrey was last seen and I am wondering if she has left for migration. Have to give it more time though, as Rachel was seen this morning at Hog Island after a several day absence and I had been wondering the same about her. Here is a wonderful screen capture from yesterday by CamOp Hope of who I am assuming is Calico Tom and Archie and Lil Bit:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:45 am 

:7val: The following is documentation posted by Poppy the mod on the last known dates/times that each member of this osprey family was seen prior to their presumed migration to South America.

Audrey was last seen on Saturday August 24, maybe the next morning, but it was too glary to make a proper ID. This was her last verified visit on the nest:

"A brief Visit by Audrey - Chesapeake Osprey Nest 2019 08 24"

Archie was last seen on September 4 with a failed landing attempt – thank you, Uta, for grabbing the footage!

"Chesap/09-04-19/Crash landing,nest landing failed looks like Archie?"

This was Lil Bit’s last verified visit on September 10:

"Chubby and Chatty Lil Bit is still around at 6:45 pm EDT! - Chesapeake Osprey Nest 2019 09 09"

Hello, Osprey Friends!

Osprey Season at the Secret Location has come to an end. Tom was last seen on September 21 at 10:20 am by Mrs. COM. This is the last picture, taken by her:

Image "Tom"

And this is Tom leaving the scraggly tree 3 hours earlier.

"Good Morning, Tom! around 7 am EDT - Chesapeake Osprey Nest 2019 09 21"

Updated nest history chart:

"Nest History Chart"

~

I was hoping Mrs. Com would have the final write up of the nest, but so far she has not posted one, if indeed she even plans to. Hoping all of the osprey here had a safe trip to South America and that Calico Tom and Audrey have a safe journey back to the nest next season!! :5val: SWINWK

Post subject: Re: CHESAPEAKE BAY, MD~2018 - 2020
PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:01 am 

:1val: About 12 hours left on the Chesapeake Osprey return timer!! A couple of osprey have returned nearby (too far for Mrs. COM to ID), but not in the usual places that Audrey and Calico Tom perch.

Post subject: Re: CHESAPEAKE BAY, MD~2018 - 2020
PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 12:29 pm 

:7val: Audrey arrived from migration late this morning!! :7val:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 354 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 18  Next