Bird Cams Around the World

Peregrine Falcons, Eagles, Kestrels, Ospreys, Owls and Much, Much More!!!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:12 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: BANDIT OF THE RHODES STATE OFFICE TOWER, COLUMBUS, OHIO
PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:07 pm 
Site Admin

ORIGINAL POST BY JUANITA ~ Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:42 pm

How Rita & I got involved with the Columbus falcons started in 1989 when the first falcons were hacked off the Rhodes Tower (Horus, Top Gun, Frightful, B.G. & Freedom).

Watching the hacked fledglings, then Bandit & Aurora's first chicks - that was something. Everyone downtown remarked about what fabulous parents Bandit & Aurora were. When two of their 3 girls first fledged, a green garbage bag flew up into the air! Bandit attacked that garbage bag! Aurora was in the nest box with the other girl who had not fledged. Bandit attacking that garbage bag in defense of his 2 girls elicited oohs and aahs from the crowd of admirers!

The ODNR attempted 3 times to capture Bandit in order to band him and take blood samples. They never caught him, despite their best efforts and very long, patient waiting. He was a light gray falcon with a full helmet (or hood). He was very tolerant of people - he would come and sit on the ledge and watch whenever ODNR personnel were on the nest ledge working on the cam. He would dive-bomb on banding days though!

I thought it was great that Bandit's sons and daughters (Pinta, Roosevelt, Leopold, Buckeye, Wind, Erie, Hunter, Maverick & Alpha) were out there raising families of their own! I emailed the University of Minnesota's Raptor Center about Bandit not being on the list of most productive male falcons - I got a response from Dr. Harrison (Bud) Tordoff who told me Bandit was not included because he was not banded. Dr. Tordoff asked me if I would like him to send me his entire database of the Midwest Peregrine Falcons! I had to get the File Maker Pro software (for like almost $400) so I did. Dr. Tordoff emailed me his database!

I'll never forget the June 2005 day I emailed Dr. Tordoff a cam image of Victory & Orville's first 2 babies: Sonic and Shadow (looking right into the ledge cam!). I also included a family tree of those 2 chicks' ancestors. I told Dr. Tordoff these 2 falcons chicks were the first ones for Columbus since 2001! Dr. Tordoff immediately answered: "Congratulations, Mama!" (which I assumed he meant for Victory). He was very pleased with the family tree and even more pleased I had done it from his database. He was such a great scientist - the driving force behind the reintroduction of the Peregrine Falcons in the Midwest and my emails to him, I simply addressed him as "Bud". I received an email this summer from Dr. Pat Redig (founder of the University of Minnesota's Raptor Center): "Hi, Juanita - I'm writing to inform you, regretfully, that Bud Tordoff passed away on Wednesday, July 23rd." I replied: "Dr. Tordoff's legacy lives in all the Peregrine Falcons now nesting successfully not only in the Midwest, but other parts of the country and Canada." Dr. Redig answered: "Indeed! Nicely said."

Rita and I had retired from the telephone company (Ohio Bell/Ameritech/SBC/AT&T) December 30, 2005 after 32 years of service. We started fledge watching full time. When Victory was injured September 2006, Donna Daniel asked if we would be willing to help the Ohio Wildlife Center rehab her. Of course, we said YES! We've taken Victory several times in the back seat of our Cavalier from the Clinic to the flight cage. Along with Victory was an unbanded juvenile female. I had the ODNR band her (black 89 over green E) and we got to name her Nike (after the Greek Goddess of Victory). We purchased whole quail from the same breeder who supplies quail to Bob Anderson and the Raptor Center! It would come whole and frozen. Rita would warm the quail up in the microwave for Victory and Nike - they loved it!

There were many 'battles' involved in getting Victory and Nike more care. Victory did go to a husband-wife falconers March 2007 and was released Aug. 22, 2008.

Nike also went to a falconer - he abused her and she ended up with her wrists of her wings bloody and open raw down to the bone. She lost so much weight. After 15 weeks with this falconer, Nike was returned to the Ohio Wildlife Center and Rita & I returned to help her. We went every day and purchased quail for her. Her wounds closed up and she put on weight. We were also feeding the 8 red-tailed hawks and 2 great horned owls that were in the same flight cage with Nike. We also feed the Cooper's Hawks housed in a smaller flight cage close by.

Laura Jordan of the Medina Raptor Center took Nike November 10, 2007 and cared for her and continued her rehab as she needed to be in a flight cage by herself. Rita & I were actually 'fired' as volunteers by the Ohio Wildlife Center because we had been in contact with the ODNR about getting Nike moved to a real Raptor Center. I had been in email contact with Laura and she immediately agreed to take her. Many things were involved here, too numerous to write about, but we really fought hard to get Nike to Laura Jordan. Nike was successfully released June 21, 2008. Rita & I consider her 'our baby' because she was a 2006 fledgling when she was found injured so we knew her from when she was still a young age. By the time Laura took Nike, her juvenile plumage was molting to her adult plumage. Our Cavalier's license plate is: NIKE 89E.

Post subject: TIM DANIEL PHOTOS OF BANDIT
PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:25 pm 
Global Moderator

ORIGINAL POST BY JUANITA ~ Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:52 pm

Tim Daniel (husband of Donna Daniel and also an ODNR employee), took these great images of Bandit. He told me Bandit was a 'great falcon'!

Image........ Image

Post subject: BANDIT'S SONS AND DAUGHTERS
PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:29 pm 
Global Moderator

ORIGINAL POST BY JUANITA ~ Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:17 pm

On Bandit's trademark full gray helmet, there is (on both sides) a much lighter gray-white mark on his cheeks. Not only did his sons and daughters inherit this helmet, they've got the lighter gray-white 'blush'.

LEOPOLD (1995 HATCH) NESTING AT MONROE, MICHIGAN POWER PLANT (PHOTOS BY JUDY YERKEY) Judy Yerkey's captions on these photos are: 1. "DO NOT APPROACH!" SEZ LEO 2. "LISTEN TO ME, THOM" (Leopold and his son Thom) 3. "HONEY, I'M HOME!" 4. LEOPOLD IN FLIGHT

Post subject: ROOSEVELT
PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:32 pm 
Global Moderator

ORIGINAL POST BY JUANITA ~ Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:22 pm

ROOSEVELT (1995 HATCH) Roosevelt and Leopold were 2 of 5 chicks produced by Bandit & Aurora in 1995. There was another male Tecumseh M/*4 and 2 females Phoenix L/*9 and Discovery M/*9

Post subject: THE 5 IN 1995 ON BANDING
PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:37 pm 
Global Moderator

ORIGINAL POST BY JUANITA ~ Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:24 pm

Here's an image of the 5 chicks on banding day in 1995. The 2 in front are the females. The 3 males are in the rear.

Post subject: BUCKEYE OF THE TERMINAL TOWER, CLEVELAND
PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:44 pm 
Global Moderator

ORIGINAL POST BY JUANITA ~ Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:30 pm

BUCKEYE (1996 HATCH), NESTING AT CLEVELAND'S TERMINAL TOWER All photos by Scott Wright

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:47 pm 
Global Moderator

kittenface wrote:
Juanita,
Thank you these are just beautiful pictures, and its so nice to hear the history of Bandit and all of his offspring keep the news of them coming please it makes it more personal to know the back ground of them :lol:

Catbird wrote:
:thankyou Thank you from me too, Juanita! Your story was fascinating, and those pictures are simply awesome.

Post subject: ERIE OF THE UNIVERSITY OF PITTSBURGH'S CATHEDRAL OF LEARNING
PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:55 pm 
Global Moderator

ORIGINAL POST BY JUANITA ~ Tue Nov 25, 2008 2:10 pm

ERIE (1998 HATCH: AURORA'S LAST CLUTCH), NESTED AT THE UNIVERSITY OF PITTSBURGH'S CATHEDRAL OF LEARNING

Post subject: WIND, ERIE'S NEST SISTER
PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:59 pm 
Global Moderator

ORIGINAL POST BY JUANITA ~ Tue Nov 25, 2008 2:16 pm

WIND (1998 HATCH, BESIDES ERIE, AURORA'S LAST CLUTCH ALSO HAD ANOTHER FEMALE NAMED THUNDER.) WIND NESTED AT THE SHERATON HOTEL, TORONTO, ONTARIO, CANADA

Post subject: MAVERICK - KATIE'S FIRST CLUTCH
PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:11 pm 
Global Moderator

ORIGINAL POST BY JUANITA ~ Tue Nov 25, 2008 2:23 pm

MAVERICK (2000 HATCH - KATIE'S 1ST CLUTCH), NESTING AT BANK ONE BUILDING, CANTON, OHIO All photos by Chad & Chris Saladin.

Post subject: HUNTER - KATIE'S SON
PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:16 pm 
Global Moderator

ORIGINAL POST BY JUANITA ~ Tue Nov 25, 2008 2:34 pm

HUNTER (2000 HATCH - ANOTHER FROM KATIE'S 1ST CLUTCH) NESTING AT UPTOWN TORONTO, ONTARIO, CANADA Katie was in Columbus for the 1999 nesting season but she and Bandit had no chicks that year (Katie didn't lay eggs, but she was a 1998 hatch). Katie & Bandit's first clutch in 2000 consisted of 2 males (Maverick & Hunter) and 2 females Comet & Rocket)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:23 pm 
Global Moderator

kittenface wrote:
:omg Juanita
You are such a wealth of information I just love it :thankyou :thankyou

Beth wrote:
I agree. Thank you so much Juanita...
Your Cavalier's license plate is: NIKE 89E. :aww.... :thumbup

Post subject: ALPHA - THE MOTHER OF SCOUT
PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:26 pm 
Global Moderator

ORIGINAL POST BY JUANITA ~ Tue Nov 25, 2008 3:15 pm

ALPHA (2001 HATCH - KATIE'S 2ND & LAST CLUTCH)-THE MOTHER OF ORVILLE'S 2ND MATE SCOUT. ALPHA IS NESTING ON THE NEW CENTER BUILDING (FORMERLY KNOWN AS THE FISHER BUILDING), DETROIT MICHIGAN Besides Alpha, there were 2 other females in this clutch: Patriot and Elvis (Elvis was banded as a male-hence the name)

These photos were all taken by Judy Yerkey (who took Leopold's photos). Judy reported that Alpha took over raising the 3 motherless young at this nest in 2004. She raised Cadette 73/B (male), Spirit 72/B (female) and Samoa 71/B (female) as if they were her own. Alpha was not responsible for the mother's disappearance as she showed up after the mother went missing. Alpha feed, brooded and defended these 3 babies.

An interesting thing that Judy has noted about Peregrine Falcons. At fledging time, she has seen the parents actually 'nod' their head to let their chicks know they can take off on their first flight. Judy witnessed Alpha "give Cadette the nod" (in Judy's words). What a great mother! The last photo is of Alpha conversing with Cadette before giving the nod!

Post subject: ALPHA - ON THE DAY SCOUT WAS BANDED
PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:28 pm 
Global Moderator

ORIGINAL POST BY JUANITA ~ Tue Nov 25, 2008 3:24 pm

These great photos of Scout's mother Alpha were taken by photographer Per Verdonk. These are from banding day on June 5, 2005! The 4 females banded on June 5, 2005 were: Scout P/72, Patch P/73, Morgan P/74 and Pearl P/75 (this nest is usually named by the Girl Scouts of Detroit)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:31 pm 
Global Moderator

Juanita wrote:
Beth wrote:
Your Cavalier's license plate is: NIKE 89E. :aww.... :thumbup

Beth, I wonder what people sitting at a traffic light behind us are thinking! They are probably trying to figure out what sports reference this means!

I'll have to start another thread under various falcons for VICTORY & NIKE.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:35 pm 
Global Moderator

skygirlblue wrote:
Juanita~absolutely fabulous information and pictures of all the beloved falcons at Rhodes...Thank you so much for taking the time to provide all this wonderful information...I have moved this entire thread under the Columbus forum....

Please post further comments there... :thumbup

REENIE wrote:
JUANITA, YOU ROCK!!

:wave

THAT ONE PIC OF BUCKEYE (CLEVAPR2004BUCKEYEONCAM2) IS ABSOLUTELY THE BEST!!!!

:woohoo:

bev. wrote:
Thanks Juanita for all the information. Wind at the Toronto Sheraton was one of my favorites , although he was a Casanova. I would like to know what has become of him. He just disappeared . time to write Mark again.

Post subject: WOW! ANOTHER PHOTO OF BANDIT!!
PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:40 pm 
Global Moderator

ORIGINAL POST BY JUANITA ~ Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:02 pm

Thank you so much! Glad everyone likes the photos.

I got an email December 5th from the Ohio Department of Natural Resouces, Ohio Division of Wildlife. It's called Wild Ohio eNews. One entry was the following:
WILD Gift Ideas
Just what do you get that person who has everything?
Easy - the gift of wildlife diversity! Give a "gift" donation to the Do Something WILD program on behalf of someone special.

When you click on to see about the gift ideas, one is for Endangered Species and Wildlife Diversity Fund. Under the one about the Falcon Cam is this photo:
The last photo is definitely a great facial close-up of my beloved Bandit. The first one, although it was very small, I was certain also had to be Bandit and had to have been taken by Tim Daniel (my second guess would have been a photo of Bandit's son Buckeye at the Terminal Tower in Cleveland, Ohio taken by Scott Wright).

I emailed back asking if they had a bigger photo of who I thought was Bandit by Tim Daniel! I got the high resolution photo this morning via email - it IS Bandit and it was taken by Tim Daniel! Isn't this a handsome tiercel!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:44 pm 
Global Moderator

kittenface wrote:
:aww SO HANDSOME

Catbird wrote:
kittenface wrote:
:aww SO HANDSOME

I agree. And that's such a fabulous photo of Bandit!!!

skygirlblue wrote:
Such an AWESOME picture of Bandit!!! That would make a great desktop!!! Thanks juanita...

Beth wrote:
:thankyou Juanita...
Wonderful photo!

obxbarb wrote:
Wow, what a great action shot! I love it, and he is very handsome.

Post subject: Re: HUNTER - KATIE'S SON
PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 8:37 pm 

SusanE wrote:
ORIGINAL POST BY JUANITA ~ Tue Nov 25, 2008 2:34 pm

LUV this pic - how clever to have that sign behind Hunter saying "Urban Living Redefined" - sure is :!:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: BANDIT OF THE RHODES STATE OFFICE TOWER, COLUMBUS, OHIO
PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 8:39 pm 
Site Admin

You are so right...I never noticed that before!!!