Bird Cams Around the World

Peregrine Falcons, Eagles, Kestrels, Ospreys, Owls and Much, Much More!!!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:34 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: HALL OF FAME
PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:36 pm 
Site Admin

Original Post by SGB

My Tribute to Orville...

(...gosh, I think I am at a loss for words here...)

I don't think there's any secret, Scout and Orville were my favorite and most beloved pair....I "met" both of them the summer of 2007 and fell completely in love...Orville~kind, sweet, patient and so devoted to Scout and later to his kids....I used to chuckle at how one minute, he appeared to be the "boss"...and then the next, a tiercel getting out of the way of his honey!! Those many times when he would wait patiently, in the box, while Scout would play hard to get somewhere on the ledge...He was always there for her...I loved it when they played "bookends" on the ledge...so comfortable being together, but secure enough to be apart...

I don't think I can express in words how devoted I have been to this pair...so I will let my video speak for me...I didn't put credits at the end...but a huge thank-you to Rita and Juanita for providing the early pictures....I was afraid I wouldn't have enough "Orville" material (based on the length of my song)..but I find I have left out so much....

One footnote...I had to fire YouTube...I knew they would reject the video because of the music...so I have it temporarily "housed" on Birdcinema while I wait for it to process on Vimeo (hope they don't reject it...)...anyway...

My Farewell and Tribute to my beloved Orville...

(update..this is the vimeo link...a little better quality...)

Post subject: Re: HALL OF FAME
PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:44 pm 
Site Admin

catwoman: Very beautiful tribute, SGB!

fnx3: Oh Dear - that was too beautiful SGB - the tears are flowing right now but in a good way - you know I am just thinking that if only we could submit that vid with the petition to change the legislation ( http://www.hostingphpbb.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=106087)re bird crimes, it would sure impact a LOT more people as to the wonderful reality of these raptors.

SusanE: skygirlblue, that video really touches my heart and my soul. (I am crying so hard, I can hardly type.) What a beautiful memorial for our sweet boy. It must have been hard on you to put that together, but THANK YOU for this gift. Orville deserved the best and you have given that to all of us. I don't know if I will ever get over his death.

ljames: Thank you SGB. What a touching tribute to Orville. All those beautiful pictures and videos. And the music was perfect too. Cannot believe that he is gone.

Beth: Image
...SgB...
A beautiful tribute of love and affection for our-sweet Orville

Catbird: I have a theory about what happened to Orville, great father and protector that he was. I think one of the girls was in trouble on or near the ground and Orville went to her rescue. Oblivious to everything except his precious daughter, he managed to get her safely airborne but lost his own life in the process. Tribute to Orville

Here's an alternate link, courtesy of SGB, to her video tribute to Orville. If her first link doesn't work for you, try this one: http://birdcinema.com/view_video.php?viewkey=430c6c018bf21e1a0b7f

nightowl: So sad, but thank you for the memories

Post subject: ORVILLE OF COLUMBUS, OHIO
PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:02 pm 
Global Moderator

ORIGINAL POST BY JUANITA ~ Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:23 am

Monday, July 06, 2009

Sad news - remembering Orville

With all of the concern over the fledglings learning to fly successfully and avoiding windows and other obstacles, it is easy to forget that these same obstacles still present a danger to the adult falcons downtown. I'm sorry to report that Orville, our adult male, was found dead over the weekend.

A Columbus police officer found him in the street near W. Town & S. Gift St. Saturday morning, July 4. I have examined the carcass and noted a broken beak and blood in the cere, thus he likely collided with something and the cause of death would be head trauma. There aren't any tall buildings in that area of Columbus so he may have been struck by a car as he was cruising across the roadway. The death was certainly not related to Red, White and Boom held the previous evening.

Looking back on Orville's history - he fledged from the Dayton nest in 2003 and showed up in Columbus in 2004, replacing our then long-time nesting male, Bandit. He paired with our female at the time--Victory--but no eggs were produced. Victory and Orville produced 2 young in 2005, and 4 young in 2006. In 2007, Victory was replaced by Scout but eggs laid that season were infertile. Scout and Orville fledged four young in each 2008 and 2009 bringing Orville's total young raised during his lifetime to 14.

Now that Orville is gone, it opens the territory for a new male. While you may have heard that falcons "mate for life" this means something very different to people than it does to peregrines. Basically, peregrines (as well as other birds of prey and even Canada geese) keep the same mate for as long as the two are alive. However, when/if something happens to one of the pair, the remaining bird will readily accept a new mate. In the case of peregrines, sometimes a new mate is had in a matter of hours! There's no room for being picky or mournful when your "job" is to reproduce and carry on the species!

So the next order of business is to watch and wait for a new male to take over the Columbus territory. There are so many unmated falcons out there ("floaters") it could happen at any time. We may see a new male this week or it may be next March. We'll be sure to watch the cams for photo evidence of a new male and document any leg bands.

One final note on the fledglings - the three females seem to be doing great as evidenced by their returns to the nest ledge. "Aerial" (65/H) even made an appearance on Friday, so all 3 were accounted for last week. They should be pretty much able to hunt on their own by now so Orville's absence at this stage in the nesting cycle won't have any negative impacts on their survival. They can be expected to remain in the downtown area for the next several weeks but as they become completely independent, will eventually roam further and further from downtown proper. At some point later this summer they will strike out to parts unknown to hopefully survive and establish a territory of their own elsewhere.

posted by Donna Daniel at 7/06/2009 09:35:00 AM

Post subject: PHOTOS FROM DONNA'S BLOG
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:44 am 
Global Moderator

ORIGINAL POST BY JUANITA ~ Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:32 am

DONNA DANIEL POSTED THESE PHOTOS ALONG WITH HER BLOG ENTRY:

Orville on banding day in Dayton 2003:

Orville as a fledgling in 2003:

Orville in 2005:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:08 am 
Global Moderator

Beth wrote:
:sosad ... :sosad ... :sosad ... :sosad ... :sosad ... :sosad

kittenface wrote:
I was just reading this it is so Terrible

Beth wrote:
:sosad I am so sad about this...just horrible news :sosad

Post subject: HEARTBROKEN
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:10 am 
Global Moderator

ORIGINAL POST BY JUANITA ~ Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:41 am

I can't believe he is gone. :sosad

Here are cam images of Victory and Orville I caught incubating eggs that I sent to Donna Daniel in 2005.

Victory incubating eggs

Orville incubating eggs

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:19 am 
Global Moderator

Beth wrote:
Thank you Juanita for "O" sweet photos.

Carly wrote:
So, so very sorry to hear this news

skygirlblue wrote:
OH NO!!!! I am just heartsick!!! Not my little sweet Orville...I am so in shock!!! This is just horrible, horrible news... :sosad :sosad :sosad

kittenface wrote:
skygirlblue wrote:
OH NO!!!! I am just heartsick!!! Not my little sweet Orville...I am so in shock!!! This is just horrible, horrible news!!! :sosad :sosad :sosad

I am so sorry honey you were the first one I thought of when I read the terrible news

catwoman wrote:
How tragic! Thanks for letting us know, Juanita, and for sharing the pics of a younger Orville with us. :cry:

CorvaCXVI wrote:
I'm so very sorry to hear this news. :sosad

REENIE wrote:
I AM JUST SICKENED BY THIS NEWS. POOR ORVILLE.

THANKS FOR THE POST AND PICS JUANITA. ORVILLE DESERVES TO BE HONORED.

SusanE wrote:
This is just terrible, shocking news. I can't even process it right now.

marjanne wrote:
O nooooo, how tragic this is :sosad :sosad :sosad

Post subject: DONNA DANIEL'S PHOTO
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:21 am 
Global Moderator

ORIGINAL POST BY JUANITA ~ Mon Jul 06, 2009 12:35 pm

Donna Daniel took this photo of Orville on March 5, 2007. It has always been my favorite:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:24 am 
Global Moderator

Beth wrote:
Thank you Juanita...wonderful photo

SusanE wrote:
Curious about where Orville was found, I did a Google map search. The "B" is near the Rhodes Tower; the "A" is where Orville was found -- about a mile away:

SusanE wrote:
Everytime I look at his photo, it makes me cry. :sosad

Knorrie wrote:
Ah, this is not the news waiting for :cry:

Orville, such a great Dad!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:27 am 
Global Moderator

obxbarb wrote:
I am so sorry to hear this terrible news. It is so tragic to hear about accidents like this. You think that urban falcons have learned how to manage around the dangers as adults, and then something like this happens.

I will always remember what a great dad Orville was when Scout was just learning how to be a mom. And they were so much fun to watch as a pair all year.

:cry:

CorvaCXVI wrote:
Thanks, SusanE for the google map. I was curious too but hadn't had a chance to try to find out anything. Thanks also to Juanita for the wonderful picture. It's hard to believe he's gone, just like that. Heartbreaking doesn't quite describe it.

Catbird wrote:
This is just devastating news. Orville and Scout were always one of my favorite falcon couples, and to think that he's gone is just heartbreaking. I'm still having a hard time believing it.

Thanks, Juanita, for posting that picture of Orville from March 2007. That's a beautiful picture...and a beautiful way to remember him.

rosekk17 wrote:
It's like a nightmare - someone please wake me up

kittenface wrote:
rosekk17 wrote:
It's like a nightmare - someone please wake me up

I've been trying to wake myself up, Ijust keep thinking we are going to read that this was a mistake

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:31 am 
Global Moderator

rosekk17 wrote:
It IS a terrible mistake; I think I will walk over to the spot - I would love to lay a flower there in remembrance of a strong handsome falcon who gave his all for his mate and his family! I can picture Orville and Apollo flying in the heavens above together!!

kittenface wrote:
Oh Rosekk17
That would be lovely, and so heartbreaking

catwoman wrote:
Froona will take care of both!

kittenface wrote:
catwoman wrote:
Froona will take care of both!

She was the one I was thinking of when I saw that it had happened, she will be right there holding out her arms smiling and welcoming them.

ljames wrote:
I am so saddened by this news. I just saw him on the ledge it seems. Poor little Orville. I never expected to lose him. :cry:

Catbird wrote:
I too thought of Froona when I heard the news about Orville. I lit a candle for Froona and Orville here:

http://www.gratefulness.org/candles/can ... =eng&gi=fv

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:35 am 
Global Moderator

Dutch Eagle Fan wrote:
This is such sad news . . . . . :cry:

pearl1 wrote:
Scout is on the ledge now :wink:

SusanE wrote:
Do you think she knows yet? :sosad
pearl1 wrote:

pearl1 wrote:
Hey Susan... I was just wandering the same thing.I just can't believe that we wont see Orville on the ledge again.I will miss him very much. :sosad :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:48 am 
Global Moderator

SusanE wrote:

This is breaking my heart. She must know since it's been
at least two days now . . .
that he's not coming back.

Jane wrote:
I just learned of this awful news. I truly feel for those of you in Columbus especially who have spent much time looking for the juvies. It's tough not to become attached to these beautiful birds, even though we probably shouldn't. We never think about a terrible accident happening to either of the adults. I know how attached I am to our adults in Harrisburg. I am SO sorry.

yvonne bamford wrote:
Just Very Sad for all of us who watched Scout & Orville bonding, raising their young, teaching them to make their way in the World!
Terrible news but Life is Fragile for ALL our birds as it is for us humans !!! God Bless !!
Am sure Froona is there to take Orville in her arms !!

rosekk17 wrote:
I'm numb!!
It will be hard to imagine Scout with any other falcon then Orville but I'm sure it was hard to imagine Orville with anyone but Victory - life does go on! It will take us much longer to get over Orville's loss than it will be for Scout - I wonder how the girls feel missing their daddy to take care of them - he was an awesome father to them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:51 am 
Global Moderator

CorvaCXVI wrote:
I suppose Scout will miss Orville for awhile and wait for him to show up but in the end, she will have to answer the call of Nature and move on. It is hard to imagine, Mary, but part of their circle of life. I can't help wondering about whether or not with the heightened senses that wildlife has over we humans whether or not she can already sense what happened to him. I guess there is really no way to know.

SusanE wrote:
The shock is starting to wear off . . . and I haven't cried this hard since my sweet kitty passed away .. . 3 years ago. :sosad :sosad :sosad

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:53 am 
Global Moderator

ORIGINAL POST BY JUANITA~ Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:37 pm

Orville first was identified in Columbus on March 12, 2004. Victory had stayed at the Rhodes Tower after the disappearance of Columbus' patriarch falcon after July 2003.

Orville was in his sub-adult plumage but he did show off his band for easy identification:

Victory and Orville made a beautiful couple. Here are cam images of them together (with Orville in his full adult plumage). Victory is on the platform and Orville is beside it. One image (the 3rd one) shows both of them in profile.
Image.....Image

Image.....Image

Where Orville was found was not far from where Victory was first noticed September 2006. Victory was perched on the bridge but being teased and harassed by skate-boarding teenage boys and adults were posing next to her to have their photos taken. I say the whole lot should have been dumped right over the bridge into the Scioto River (Rita told me the Scioto River didn't need any extra pollution in it). She flew some distance after that on her severely broken wing. Losing Orville brings these memories flooding back to me and Rita. I know Victory survived but she went through so much and she made it - strong girl.

Bandit was our first patriarch and Orville was a worthy sucessor. I had hoped and prayed Orville would have a long life as did his father Mercury.

Bless you, sweet and precious Orville - you are now with your father Mercury and your mother Snowball.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:56 am 
Global Moderator

Joanne wrote:
I'm still trying to get through my heartbreak of having lost my 3 lil dogs and now this -- Orville. I am so saddened.

My heart is broken in half again.

RIP ORVILLE....FLY EVEN HIGHER!

bev. wrote:
I am sitting here in tears.

I cannot stop crying . I am so sorry.

I just found out as I have been keeping a low profile lately.

We not supposed to get attached but we do.

I cried over the first year male at Weber this year so I know how you are feeling.

After watching Miss Edmonton, Scout will probably go to all his perches and search all the areas he flew to. It will be heartbreaking and confusing for her but because their instinct is all about survivla she will eventually accept a new male

I cannot express enough , how this saddens me .

Ijust hope the kids are able to hunt for themselves. I am sure Scout will watch out for them.

OMG :flowers :flowers for Orville

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:01 am 
Global Moderator

gigi wrote:
Oh dear! This is just so sad.

I am trying to look at this as Froona may have. She would have helped wipe our tears and gently explain the opportunity that a new male will have when he discovers beautiful Scout. He will have an experienced mom in Scout, who was taught by Orville when she first arrived on the scene.

I am thankful that he survived to see his latest offspring make their ways into the big world.

Thank you to all for posting the early pictures of Orville. He has certainly left a wonderful legacy for all of us to remember. Godspeed, dear Orville. May you wrap your wings around all those who need a little help in the falcon world.

kittenface wrote:
Oh gigi,
You said it just like Froona would have I believe, Thank you for making it easier on trying to understand the way of life for our Falcons your words are so soothing and understanding.

Beth wrote:
I agree 100% kitten... :love: Gigi (!)

SusanE wrote:
gigi, you have me crying all over again, but with a bit of uplifted spirit. THANK YOU FOR THAT!!! I sure needed it.

Catbird wrote:
I agree. Thanks so much, gigi, for giving us the "Froona perspective" on this sad event. And Beth, thanks for remembering Orville as a cute little chick in your new avatar.

Post subject: ORVILLE IN 2005
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:14 am 
Global Moderator

ORIGINAL POST BY RITA ~ Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:34 pm

Juanita & I watched Orville grow up on the Dayton cam, so we were already attached to him we he arrived here in 2004.

Here's some cam images of him from 2005. What a sweetheart:

FEBRUARY 26, 2005
Image.....Image

MARCH 30, 2005
Image.....Image

MARCH 31, 2005
Image.....Image

APRIL 1, 2005
Image.....Image

APRIL 2, 2005
Image.....Image

Image.....Image

APRIL 3, 2005

APRIL 4, 2005
Image.....Image

APRIL 5, 2005

Post subject: ORVILLE WITH HIS VERY FIRST BABIES
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:24 am 
Global Moderator

ORIGINAL POST BY RITA ~ Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:46 pm

These are more 2005 cam images showing Orville with his very first babies (Shadow and Sonic). You really ddin't see too much of Orville when Victory nested at the Rhodes Tower. Victory did most of the incubating, brooding and feeding.

MAY 4, 2005
Image.....Image

Image.....Image

MAY 5, 2005
Image.....Image

MAY 6, 2005 - THESE 2 ARE REALLY CUTE. VICTORY JUST LEFT AND ORVILLE IS COMING IN. HE STAYS LESS THAN A MINUTE BECAUSE VICTORY IS BACK INSIDE WITH FOOD ORVILLE HAD JUST DELIVERED
Image.....Image

MAY 9, 2005

MAY 13, 2005 - PROUD DADDY!!
Image.....Image

Post subject: NOVEMBER MORNING
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:26 am 
Global Moderator

ORIGINAL POST BY RITA ~ Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:49 pm

Here's Orville ready to take off from the 41st floor of the Rhodes State Office Tower on a November morning in 2005.

NOVEMBER 10, 2005