Bird Cams Around the World

Peregrine Falcons, Eagles, Kestrels, Ospreys, Owls and Much, Much More!!!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:29 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 162 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: California Eagles ~ Nov 2021 - 2022
PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 2:38 pm 

:eggthumb: Lancer fledged this morning from the Two Harbors nest at 9:36. Several days ago she flew up to the top of the camera mount and some thought this would be her fledge and they messaged Dr. Sharpe to get confirmation, but I don't think he ever responded. They said he has counted similar as fledges in the past. This is a definite fledge, she returned about 5 minutes later missing her landing on the nest, but caught something on the side down below. It took her about 40 minutes, but little by little she made it topside. On the nest now looking as if she might not go anywhere for awhile after that rough landing. :teehee:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 8:51 am 

SWINWK wrote:
:eggthumb: Lancer fledged this morning from the Two Harbors nest at 9:36. Several days ago she flew up to the top of the camera mount and some thought this would be her fledge and they messaged Dr. Sharpe to get confirmation, but I don't think he ever responded. They said he has counted similar as fledges in the past. This is a definite fledge, she returned about 5 minutes later missing her landing on the nest, but caught something on the side down below. It took her about 40 minutes, but little by little she made it topside. On the nest now looking as if she might not go anywhere for awhile after that rough landing. :teehee:
Thanks! Added to the Eagle calendar! :loveshow:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 12:53 pm 

:15heartbeat: Sky the middle one of the trio is having some issues. I saw him attempting to eat twice late afternoon and real early evening and as soon as he would tear a bite he would raise up and rear his head back and it seemed he was having some issues with swallowing/eating. One of those times the meal was stolen from him and the other he kept trying to eat and even though it looked as if he were having trouble with it, eventually it could no longer be seen even though it did not look as if he were effectively eating, so I don't know. He remained on the nest the rest of the eve and through the night. When I saw him some time between 2 and 3 am, he seemed worse, was opening and closing beak and also seemed to have breathing issues along with the GI. He has flown this morning and currently can be seen on the rock on the WEO cam with his siblings. Dr. Sharpe is aware and here are his comments from a couple hours or so ago:

Institute for Wildlife Studies Mod • 2 hours ago
Featured by Institute for Wildlife Studies
I'm aware that Sky seems to have an issue breathing, but it is not feasible to capture a free-flying eagle in the terrain around the nest. The stress to the bird in association with chasing it around for hours could also be fatal.

Institute for Wildlife Studies Mod Institute for Wildlife Studies • 21 minutes ago
I could also end up chasing the wrong eagle around.

Here's a capture from a bit ago of all 3 over there, I think he might be on the right:

Capture by Sue Dumas.

Now only 1 remains over there and it may be Sky.

Edit to add: It was Sky, but he flew at about 10:23 downward and landed on a rock. At about 12:36 he can still be seen on the WEO cam and a sibling is with him.

Edit to add: He was still there, only on a different rock down there before that side of the Tor area got too dark for the cam to pick up d/t sun position. It's actually still daylight.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 12:02 pm 

:15heartbeat: Sky still remains on the left side of the Tor area. Did see him take a short flight. Saw one close up as best they could get and I don't think he is having the difficulties with the breathing as before and only saw once of possible GI symptom and may have even been normal, but don't think he has eaten anything since being in this location and only had bites while still on the nest. Hoping a parent brings food to him and he can eat if able without any interruptions from his siblings.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 12:58 am 

The cams are not working at Two Harbors nor West End, so unable to bring an update on Sky this evening.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 12:57 am 

The cams are back up. Sky did fly to the nest this afternoon and he did claim some of the prey brought in by a parent and did eat. Hopefully he is improving and will try to catch him tomorrow.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:35 am 

:dancingegg: Victor the male at Frazier point fledged at 7:37 this morning with his sister looking on. They have the cam on him at times, but he has not flown back in as yet.

No word on Sky so far this morning from the West End nest. Hoping he continues to improve and get through this.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 1:18 am 

:eggthumb: Victor did make it back home after his fledge and left again at some point and back home a 2nd time. I think Sky is most likely improving, he continues to come to the nest and sometimes is scoring the food and sometimes not, but no longer seems to be having breathing or GI issues that I could see.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:54 am 

:thankyou for keeping us updated SWINWK!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 1:03 pm 

:10sum: Lilibet of Frazier Point fledged this morning at 7:10 in what appeared to be a strong flight out. So far she has not returned. Andor brought a fish to the nest since, but she nor Victor showed up, so he worked on the nest.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:53 pm 

:eggthumb: Lilibet at Frazier Point did return to the nest after her fledge today. Sky at West End continues to seem okay now. And Spirit at Big Bear was last seen at her nest on 6/23 with possible flybys on the 24th. So, hoping she has a wonderful eagle life!!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2022 6:32 am 

:15heartbeat: Something is wrong with Victor at FP, but it is unknown what at this time. He has been on the nest for many hours now and seems unable to stand and move about as normal. Have just been watching him preen from a lying position. Dr. Sharpe is aware and watching.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2022 1:27 pm 

:15heartbeat: Update on Victor at FP by Dr. Sharpe:

Institute for Wildlife Studies Mod • an hour ago • edited
I have boat reservations to go out to Santa Cruz on Monday. The Fraser Point bird may have a back issue which would affect its balance and movement of its tail. I don't see any evidence of foot or leg injuries. I don't have permission to get the bird yet (it is a weekend) or a place to take him, but hopefully that will get worked out before I come off the island on Tuesday. If removed from the island he will not be allowed to be brought back to the island because of biosecurity precautions.

This is what Dr. Sharpe said the day before on what it would take to do a rescue:

Institute for Wildlife Studies
a day ago
I'll check the FP video when I get home in the evenings and if there appears to be a life-threatening problem I'll start the process of going to the nest. This includes getting permission from the California Dept. of Fish and Wildlife to remove an eagle from the wild, find some place that would take the bird, find someone to help me (my crew's field season ended 2 weeks ago), make round trip boat reservations from Catalina to the mainland and the mainland to Santa Cruz, make hotel reservations on the mainland for the nights before and after the trip to Santa Cruz, and see if housing is available for a night on Santa Cruz,.

:15heartbeat: Currently Victor remains lying on the nest as is his sister Lilibet, who sometime ago decided to join him.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 12:39 am 

:15heartbeat: Dr. Sharpe has edited his announcement from today to include the Ojai Raptor Center will take the bird.

Victor fell from the nest this morning and is now on the ground. He has been seen moving about some by flapping his wings, but he is not able to stand and walk. He can also, be heard vocally at times from under the bushes below the nest. His rescue should be tomorrow by Dr. Sharpe. See info above posts. A video was done of the fall with the incident leading up to it that started at 11:08 and he finally fell from the nest at 11:09. They describe Victor as weak, however when I was watching him earlier today, I saw no general weakness as a whole, he is not able to stand and walk about.

Video of Victor's fall and event leading up to it from both cam views by Deb Stecyk. Also footage of where he has been on the ground since the fall, in the bushes.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 1:29 pm 

:eggthumb: On Victor's possible rescue at FP from Dr. Sharpe:

Institute for Wildlife Studies Mod • 3 hours ago
I should get to Fraser Point between 12 and 2 today.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 4:47 pm 

:CLAPS: Dr. Sharpe has just rescued Victor and held him in his arms as he carried him out where we could see Victor!! Victor was still not in a generalized weakened state as he was clearly able to hold his head high as Dr. Sharpe carried him!!

Edit to add:

Capture by Trish Rawlings, Dr. Sharpe carrying Victor out. Look how HUGE!! And he's fussing too!!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 8:58 pm 

From Pat Burke on FB. :10sum:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2022 2:10 am 

:15heartbeat: Update on Victor from Dr. Sharpe:

Institute for Wildlife Studies Mod • an hour ago • edited
Thank you to Allie from The Nature Conservancy for assisting me in the recovery of Victor. We found him in the stream bed below the nest, so he'd likely been getting fresh water. He ate some nice Costco trout when I got him back to the truck and is now at the Ojai Raptor Center. There are no apparent broken bones, so they will have to do some more tests over the next couple of days. We'll have to wait patiently for their results. Please consider making a donation to the ORC at https://www.ojairaptorcente...

Photo of Victor in carrier with remains of Costco trout beside him.

X-ray image of Victor after rescue on 7/11/22.

And someone posted this about 4 hours ago from the center Victor is going to:

"The OJAI RAPTOR CENTER, We are prepared and awaiting the eaglet's arrival. We will update everyone on their status tomorrow as the bird will not arrive until late this evening and it takes time to do proper exams and tests. We appreciate everyone's patience and support!"

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2022 12:17 pm 

:15heartbeat: Update on Victor from the Ojai Raptor Center:

The Ojai Raptor Center is asking for donations.
13 hrs ·
On Monday, Dr. Peter Sharpe of the Institute for Wildlife Studies rescued a 13-week-old Bald Eagle fledgling from Santa Cruz Island who had been observed having difficulty standing. The eaglet arrived at Ojai Raptor Center late that evening where the patient was examined by ORC staff veterinarian, Dr. Stephany Lewis.
The eagle was bright and alert with good body condition and hydration levels. Radiographs revealed no bone fractures or soft tissue damage. Lead levels also came back negative. Blood chemistry and West Nile Virus test results are still pending from the lab. There is a whole range of infectious and toxic causes that could result in the neurological signs the eaglet is displaying. Spinal trauma also cannot be ruled out without advanced imaging such as a CT scan or MRI as it cannot be seen in birds on radiographs.
Dr. Lewis is treating the eagle with intravenous hypertonic saline to reduce any possible brain swelling, as well as antifungal medication and an antibiotic. The patient is also being treated with an agent to help remove any other potentially toxic metals, aside from lead, that might be in the bloodstream. The eaglet is being hand-fed and eating well, but the prognosis remains guarded. Neurologic disease in wildlife is very difficult to diagnose and treat, but we will continue to do all we can to diagnose and treat the patient. We will continue to observe the eaglet and evaluate the progression of neurological signs over the next week.
At this time, we are unable to respond to the influx of emails we have received about this patient, but we will continue to post updates when we can.
We are very grateful to everyone who has already donated to support the eagle's care as medication and lab costs can quickly add up. If you would like to support the care and treatment of this eaglet, click the donate button or visit https://www.ojairaptorcenter.org/

Photos x 3 of Victor at Ojai, use right arrow to view all.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2022 1:21 pm 
Global Moderator

Thanks Swinwk!

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 162 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next