Bird Cams Around the World

Peregrine Falcons, Eagles, Kestrels, Ospreys, Owls and Much, Much More!!!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Fort St. Vrain 2019 - 2022
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 12:07 pm 

:sorrow: FSV45 I'll go out on a limb and assume 45 was killed in the attack. From FB:

Lisa Levesque shared a link.
1 hr ·
Well Everyone I have no answers to most of our questions. According to Amy Ries from Raptor Resource Project FSV45 has not been found. Loose feathers were found in the area. We may never know how things played out. Thank you to any and everyone who rapidly responded. There were boots on the ground within 90 minutes. Nature can be unforgiving and sometimes we need to turn away. Please don’t speculate or “blame “ the raccoon.
Today, life goes on for this Eagle family and the hope of a successful fledge for FSV46. Tune in live

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 2:20 pm 
Site Admin

So sad...

Unfortunately no time to follow this nest this year...my questions to those who watch 24/7...where were Mom and Dad during the attack?

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 5:01 pm 

:15heartbeat: Sky, I don't know if you saw my initial report on this at the bottom of the previous page or not. I do not follow this nest nor does anyone who documents as the last post on them was on 4/6/22. None of the links here worked for me this morning, I had to go out to find the cam. I pulled up their FB and that is how I got what info I did. Their FB stopped comments and did not allow captures or videos. (Someone made a comment that the nest tree supposedly does have a raccoon guard. I do not know if true or not.) It was described as being a violent attack and that FSV45 fought for its life, however that's not quite how I would call it after seeing a couple videos since posted on YT.

It happened before dark last evening and neither parent was on the nest nor the tree that I could see. Curiously, FSV45 was only barely vocal during the attack and am unsure if that might have something to do with what part of its body the raccoon had ahold of and it couldn't or if it was caught somewhere between its development where when trouble you flatten and are quiet? It did not flatten though. You almost have to strain to hear what vocals it did have. No alarm calling or vocals that may have alerted a parent sooner prior to the final attack.

So, two videos and you all can watch a part of, all of or not. The 1st video is by kieth842 and I included it because it shows the raccoon bite at FSV45, then grab some food on the nest and leave. It takes awhile before it returns and still no vocals to alert a parent during this time by FSV45. Then it shows the final attack. I placed the 2nd video by Lizzy G Eaglespirit that doesn't show the 1st attack, but does show the final attack and it is this one that shows the parent/parents actions toward the end.

(Both attacks.) "05 23 22 Ft St Vrain raccoon attack" by kieth842.

(Final attack and parent/parents reactions.) "Xcel Energy Fort St. Vrain Bald Eagles : Raccoon attack" by Lizzy G Eaglespirit.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 5:17 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks...yes, having so many PeFa cams to keep up with, we probably dropped the ball when it came to Eagle/Osprey links...especially since they change so much. FSV was one of the very first nests to have a cam and one of the few BCAW even watched...and in the past, ya never knew if it was gonna work..LOL

thanks for the vid links...I think I choose not to watch them...too much heartache already this season.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 6:46 pm 

:sorrow: FSV45 From "Colorado Parks and Wildlife":

The remains were actually found last evening. They are also going to test for EA H5N1.

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 8:35 am 

SWINWK wrote:
:sorrow: FSV45 From "Colorado Parks and Wildlife":

The remains were actually found last evening. They are also going to test for EA H5N1.
Eagle calendar updated. :sorrow: Thanks for bringing the sad news to BCAW, SWINWK.

You're right SGB, so much sadness this year. We also have many birds infected & dying at bird rehab.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 1:33 pm 

:eggthumb: No further raccoon attacks. Mom seemed to be on the tree or nest overnight. Seeing this photo of the nest tree location with surroundings really explains a lot on why it is not an easy fix to deter raccoons here:

Fort St. Vrains eagle nest tree with surrounding area. Photo by Amy Buchholz.

Current link to Fort St. Vrains Eagle Nest Cam on YT:

Starring FSV46!

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 3:58 pm 

:15heartbeat: Apparently the raccoon returned early last evening and Mom stood on the side of the nest thwarting any attempts of it coming onto the nest by wing smacking at it. You could hear little raccoon growls. Saw elfruler mention here there is a hole in the tree under the nest and that cavity is large enough to raise raccoon kits in. She said they have seen the raccoons come and go from that cavity for years. All is well at this time.

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 5:09 pm 

:eggthumb: No further raccoon incidents since Mom thwarted it's attempt on Wednesday evening as above which was two evenings after the fatal attack.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2022 5:48 pm 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UumVMZ__Rlw

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 12:07 am 

:sorrow: The youngest chick FSV48 did not survive a powerful storm during the very early morning hours here today. It was said they were just too big for Mom to cover, although I think from what I read she tried. They said golf ball size hail was produced along with the powerful storm, but not sure that the eaglet was actually struck by the hail. FSV47 is doing okay.

I see there is not any info posted on the 2 eaglets here and will try to do that by weekends end.