Bird Cams Around the World

Peregrine Falcons, Eagles, Kestrels, Ospreys, Owls and Much, Much More!!!
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:41 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 448 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 23  Next
 Post subject: Re: WILMINGTON~2022
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2022 1:56 pm 

DavidN wrote:
Still no word on Trinity. The banded male brought food this morning which Red Girl did not take in the nest Carrying the food, he seemed to follow her when she left so she might have taken it outside of the box. He still ee-chups and bows, but there are now periods when they quietly share thime in the box together. Each of them also make visits to the box on their own.

Late this morning the male showed up with a lunch offering, which Red Girl aggresively went to snatch. The male then proceeded to play keep away from her. She had to chase him around the box to get the food. It was a bit spooky to me, because it looked exactly like when Red Girl would bring food to her kids and they would steal it and try to keep it from her.

https://youtu.be/D80_tu9bJoA

our male does this all the time LOL

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2022 1:58 pm 
Site Admin

WOW...quite the vid, David!!

So sad here...

I normally don't cross post, but some of you may be unaware that Woodmen lost their resident female last night. Tragically she died in the box. They retrieved her and the eggs this morning. Praying for viability in at least one of her eggs....and secondly, Warren's resident female has disappeared as well. those beautiful eggs are lost....and of course, Rochester lost their long time resident female several weeks ago...she too died at the box.

It just seems that there is so much chaos, stress and uncertainty at many nests this year. Its all so bitter sweet because it means populations have grown..and scary because of the Avian Flu spreading everywhere...

So Thankful RG is still here...hopeful that Trinity is out there somewhere...and thankful for the nests that are doing well and following the peregrine nesting "script".

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2022 2:25 pm 

I would like to say, that I am glad David is keeping us updated. My heart is very heavy this last while with our losses and takeovers.
In my heart I feel Trinity is safe and just knew this one was stronger. a Great male.
RG will be o.k.. she has a real bond with Trinity that will never be the same with another. but she will accept.

What a year ,and my heart is really with those that follow Wilmington. :15heartbeat:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2022 3:26 pm 

skygirlblue wrote:
WOW...quite the vid, David!!

So sad here...

I normally don't cross post, but some of you may be unaware that Woodmen lost their resident female last night. Tragically she died in the box. They retrieved her and the eggs this morning. Praying for viability in at least one of her eggs....and secondly, Warren's resident female has disappeared as well. those beautiful eggs are lost....and of course, Rochester lost their long time resident female several weeks ago...she too died at the box.

It just seems that there is so much chaos, stress and uncertainty at many nests this year. Its all so bitter sweet because it means populations have grown..and scary because of the Avian Flu spreading everywhere...

So Thankful RG is still here...hopeful that Trinity is out there somewhere...and thankful for the nests that are doing well and following the peregrine nesting "script".

Wanted to add that Rochester also lost DC, our longtime resident male since 2012. He disappeared in Jan, after no further sightings, never returning to his territory or Beauty. Much sadness this year…..

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2022 8:10 pm 

DavidN wrote:
Still no word on Trinity. The banded male brought food this morning which Red Girl did not take in the nest Carrying the food, he seemed to follow her when she left so she might have taken it outside of the box. He still ee-chups and bows, but there are now periods when they quietly share thime in the box together. Each of them also make visits to the box on their own.

Late this morning the male showed up with a lunch offering, which Red Girl aggresively went to snatch. The male then proceeded to play keep away from her. She had to chase him around the box to get the food. It was a bit spooky to me, because it looked exactly like when Red Girl would bring food to her kids and they would steal it and try to keep it from her.

https://youtu.be/D80_tu9bJoA

This make me more anxious that ever that somebody can get the band number. He might have been replaying keep away the lunch from Mom.
:omg

Thank you for the info and the video!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2022 11:20 am 
Site Admin

Not a ton of activity this morning. the male brought breakfast around 6:48 (I think)...Red wasn't in the box so it appeared that he waited until he saw her then took off.

Red came in around 9:48 am and spent about 10 minutes on the eggs...bless her heart. I'm guessing the male may have seen her come up as he arrived short time after.

They exchanged a few words...then he hopped to the ledge....then left

Red stayed a bit longer on the eggs, then hopped up to the ledge..

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2022 12:03 pm 

Bless Red Girl's heart. This male has not only upset the apple cart as they say, but is also a pest. He follows Red Girl around relentlessly. If it would turn out he's from Harrisburg I think I would pass out.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2022 3:44 pm 

awe, as hard as it is , I am giving this male a break. I think maybe young and he remind me of our Chase when he first came in , in Edmonton after eggs laid. It i s too late here, but he is doing what he should be doing. He is wooing Red girl . I have seen actions like this so many times. the first year we lost Pa in deMOrtel. everyone thought the young male was a pest but he was hunting and would bring in a small amount and take it out as she went for it. but there , there is a camera on roof, and we would see him stash it there for her.
so if eggs were halfway to hatching, Re d Girl would be incubating more and he would be providing food, and she would be more accepting of him.
I guess I know this could happen again , at any time at my sites.

I hope we can ID this guy.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2022 7:52 pm 

Bev, I have a sneaking suspicion that he's Red Girl's son. I think a couple of others on here have the same suspicion. Did you go back and look at DavidN's video?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2022 9:59 am 

I have wondered more than once if this bird is an offspring. Red Girl's mate CJ was hatched in that nest box, so they DO return to their natal area.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2022 1:08 pm 

catwoman wrote:
Bev, I have a sneaking suspicion that he's Red Girl's son. I think a couple of others on here have the same suspicion. Did you go back and look at DavidN's video?

yes, I watched the video. and maybe if it is, dad will be o.k. I know it would be bittersweet but....
only want the best here .

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2022 1:08 pm 

Jane wrote:
I have wondered more than once if this bird is an offspring. Red Girl's mate CJ was hatched in that nest box, so they DO return to their natal area.

yes, we have males and females returning to our area.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2022 5:57 pm 

In the Wilmington peregrine nest box the saga continues. There has been no sign or word of Trinity. The banded male is still pursuing Red Girl, but she seems to give him the slip from time to time. Then she returns to sit on the eggs until his next visit. (It is virtually certain that the eggs are not viable now). The last two days she has given alarm calls, but the male doesn't seem to be interested in chasing off intruders. Maybe she has not yet accepted him and it is not "his" territory to defend yet (just a guess). This afternoon he delivered a substantial meal.

https://youtu.be/Icsyjwp8by0

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2022 6:22 pm 
Global Moderator

We are grateful for all the updates David. Many thanks...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2022 5:58 pm 
Global Moderator

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2022 7:28 pm 

I took a look at the cam a while ago, and found Red Girl on the shelf, calling and calling, and looking out over the city. She eventually flew off toward a high building where someone I know used to work. She wasn't gone long and returned with the other male. They stared at each other and chattered a bit. He few off, and Red Girl settled down on the eggs. So upsetting to watch.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2022 4:02 pm 

There have been no real changes in the peregrine nest box. Red Girl still ocasionally sits on the eggs during the day and it looks like she may be sitting on them all night. Banded male continues all the courting behaviors - making scrapes, bowing and ee-chupping, and regularly bringing birds to the nest box ... a red bellied woodpecker two days, a starling another day. Sometimes it is an offering that is already plucked. Oddly, he sometimes shows Red Girl the bird or plucks it in front of her, then takes off with it, almost like he is trying to get her to follow him. Sometimes she does, sometimes not. He has never sat on the eggs and generally ignores them. Just a guess, but I wonder if they may be in two different places in their mating urges. He may be trying to mate and start a family whie she is past that, having already been through mating, laying eggs, and incubating.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2022 4:21 pm 
Global Moderator

Thank you David for the update... :girlsad3:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 3:58 pm 

There is a video posted on the Wilmington Falcon Facebook page from earlier today. This banded male brings prey for Red Girl, but he has "his" scrape and doesn't always give her the food. I don't know how to bring that video over here. If anyone looks at their Facebook page, check the video around 2:13 to see if there's any way to read the bands on his left leg. It did look to me like there might be red tape on his right leg band.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2022 9:06 pm 

I saw a video posted on Facebook earlier today of this new male incubating Red Girl's eggs for two hours. So upsetting to watch. :-(

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 448 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 23  Next