Bird Cams Around the World

Peregrine Falcons, Eagles, Kestrels, Ospreys, Owls and Much, Much More!!!
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 423 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 22  Next
 Post subject: Re: WE ENERGY~Oak Ck-Pleasant Pr-Presque-Pt Wash-Valley 2020-21
PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 2:56 pm 

PW- Mom, or at least a female falcon, has landed on the "corner" you can see. The fledglings are Begging her to come over, but she has not moved a muscle....Now Bertha is just standing there with her eyes shut.... :girlsad3:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:22 am 

PW- as I came on, Bertha was alone on the ledge, and there was the mystery female on the other “corner” looking straight at the nest. Bertha called to her and the adult turned and walked away. Bertha has lost almost all her down, and I could easily see the area of her crop was sunken in…. Tiny came up to join Bertha, and Bertha suddenly stepped out onto the perch and disappeared- I’m not sure if she found an area to step onto, or did she fall off the perch? Now Tiny and Middle are on the ledge listening as apparently Bertha is on the roof of the nestbox screaming for her life. I just saw an adult whizzing by the nestbox - diving at Bertha?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:57 am 
Site Admin

Current locations!!

If you saw Bertha disappear, then here she is!!

Brinn

Tiny is currently in the box eating leftovers.

Adult, I'm assuming Brinn, flew to where the fledge is, but fledge chased her off. I'm pretty sure it was Brinn, as the adult was cleaning its beak since she had just done a feed.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:28 am 
Site Admin

Pics from 6/20. I'm probably gonna gets these out of order. I included my computer time stamp. Times are Eastern Time

There were actually 2 separate food drops yesterday, late afternoon. Didn't have the time step on the recording, so can't remember the times. Just a drop...not a feed...which is appropriate for this age.

They moved the cam and this was my best view. Everyone was so polite!! No food stealing or anything.

2nd drop..and straight into the box. Hope they shared.

Bedtime

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:55 am 

Okay, SGB, you are like magic……mom only shows up when you are watching,,,LOL… It seems like Bertha gets awfully frustrated in between feedings. When I’m watching it seems like that is all the kids are doing- watching for more food… So glad Brinn made an appearance, I hadnt seen her for a while. Brinn, it would make me happy if you came a little more often…..Bertha has fledged?!!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 11:22 am 
Site Admin

LOL...I got lucky!!

I could not make out the bands of the adult during the 2 food drops yesterday, so I can't say for certain who it was. In terms of the bedtime pic last night? I'm pretty sure that was Brinn.

At this stage, I doubt that either parent would hang out where we could see them...the kids would drive them crazy. We'll only see them during food drops and maybe a quick check in..

2 are currently on the ledge..and I've lost track of the fledge. that's a big space over there, so it could be anywhere...hopefully still up there.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:17 pm 
Site Admin

As of about 15 min ago, she is still over there. She walked to the right and out of cam view.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 5:27 pm 

:hithere: I’m back, had to help hubby out in theyard…..Thank you so much for your analysis, SGB ! I’m a little puzzled why Bertha chased Brinn off (maybe Brinn had no food?) Anyway currently Tiny is driving his sister crazy by continually screeching….and then he twists his head sideways and looks so cute….Mid has watched her sister escape the nest box, and now she wants out, too. Flapping her wings like crazy, agitated, picking at ancient prey remains…..acting like Bertha was acting a couple days ago…As per my usual luck, I havent seen Brinn nor Bertha…I am so heartened that you saw Brinn (yes, it’s her) bring prey to the box for the kids…I hope Beasley is still in the picture here….There’s Bertha over on the “corner “! No screeching from the other 2 kids- I think they are stunned she did that!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 5:48 pm 
Site Admin

Glad you're back!!

No food drop yet for the current two. Parent did check on Big Bertha earlier this afternoon...couldn't tell ya which one...just knew it was a parent.

Very normal for a kid to chase a parent away...especially if a parent forgets the food!!! LOL

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:50 pm 

Things that happened while I was fixing supper- Mid and Tiny were out on the ledge, watching for mom. Mid decided to take a nap… Into view came Bertha,over on the”corner”. SHE had a chunk of prey that she was working on …. Tiny had a fit! Screeched and screeched! Mid was ignoring him so Tiny walked over and started screeching right in Mids ear! She still ignored him…. Meanwhile Bertha stopped eating and has been standing and looking directly at her siblings…Well, Brinn just came with prey and Tiny was so quick- he grabbed the prey away from Brinn and Dove down into the nestbox. Brinn looked bewildered and Mid was furious, but didn’t try to grab it from Tiny. Mid screamed at Brinn and Brinn left. Meanwhile Bertha is calling over to the nestbox, telling Mid “Better luck next time?”Looks like Mid is hoping for another food drop…All this time Bertha has been staring at the nest box…. Tiny is done with his buffet and is letting Mid have the rest. You should see his blood smeared face..OK, NOW Tiny is trying to get up on the ledge but he is so stuffed he can’t make it ! :hapdance: Third try is the charm :biggrin: .

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:30 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks Tsusan...

Here was the food drop.

I could see Big bertha eating something...I reviewed my recordings over and over. Parent must have taken something up to her off cam cuz I got nothing of how she got it.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:36 pm 

Thanks for the pic, SGB! Tiny is quite a hoot! Have you figured out the sexes of Mid and Tiny? I’ve Thot of Mid as a girl, but her feet dont seem as large as a females can be?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:14 pm 

[b]Ok a new ripple... An adult brought in prey and proceeded to eat almost all of it right in front of Mid.....(what?)[/b]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:01 pm 
Site Admin

Tsusan wrote:
[b]Ok a new ripple... An adult brought in prey and proceeded to eat almost all of it right in front of Mid.....(what?)[/b]

Not really...I could actually see the adult giving bites...Adult then left, returned to the perch, then flew up to where big bertha was...I'll post pics later.

I haven't seen tiny in forever!!!...not since she got the first food drop..She didn't pop up when the adult landed with the second food drop.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:02 am 
Site Admin

I've had the cam up for a while. I think the kids have eaten. Tiny looks like she may have a crop...but, I missed the food drop...No sign of Big Bertha, yet.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:16 am 
Site Admin

Big Bertha may be MIA. Parent flew to last location with food. No takers so parent brought the food to the kids in the box.

Pics coming.

Edit to add pics.

Parent flies to the other building with food.

Flies in the direction of the arrow..and I thought, Oh good...found her.

But I don't think so. You could see a bird flying in the distance (and so did the kids..that's how I knew somebody was out there.) So either Parent 1 found big bertha and parent 2 came to the nest box OR parent 1 didn't find Big Bertha, looped around and brought the food to the box.

Tiny grabbed it.

Mom (?) didn't want to let go. Brief tug-o-war

Mom gets it back

Not for long. Tiny grabbed it again with Mom hanging on.

Mom gave up and left and Tiny went into the box to eat.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:21 pm 

Just got back from taking my cat to the vet…not good news there, so I’m trying to cheer myself up by watching Tiny. Isn t he something else? But I suppose that Big Attitude is how he survived against all odds I love that little brat :loveheart: I don’t like how they’ve turned the cam so we can’t spot anybody over on the other corner…? PS Thank you, SGB, for all your sightings! :hithere:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 2:35 pm 
Site Admin

Tsusan...I am so sorry to hear about your furbaby...they are our kids...

I'm pretty sure they just brought Big bertha back to the box...but, my internet froze...I sure hope they didn't scare anybody else off in the process!!! YIKES!!!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 2:37 pm 
Site Admin

OH NO!!! Stupid!!! That did force a fledge...but, I don't know who!!!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 2:40 pm 

:sum5: OH boy, now what? I hear the adults going nuts, Kinda like at banding time. I hear human voices. Tiny dives for the nest box floor and Mid freezes on the ledge. Humans push open a hatch to the nest box. I was sure Mid would bolt out of the box. She just froze. It seems that they took Tiny (while remarking that there were only2 in the box… Mid is still froze on the ledge……I hear the parents squawking on and off…Now I see your post E65 is big Bertha, isn’t it?. So Mid, E 66 fledged by fright? Is Tiny in the nest box?

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 423 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 22  Next