Bird Cams Around the World

Peregrine Falcons, Eagles, Kestrels, Ospreys, Owls and Much, Much More!!!
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 381 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next
 Post subject: Re: CSU ORANGE 2021 & 2022
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2022 10:17 am 

Another video was posted and it showed Rubus, right himself . Have seen many fledges in person and if they are ready( and he was certainly capable ) they right themselves and then glide.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2022 10:30 pm 

Thanks, Bev. It is good to know! :loveshow:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2022 11:52 pm 

:mooncat: I have "heard" that Rubus was found grounded yesterday and was possibly too near a road, so was rescued and placed in a tree. Since then, he was seen on another branch than what he was placed and eventually in a different tree. Can not verify all of this, but sounds as if he just needs a little more time.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2022 3:38 pm 

:mooncat: Another day to build those wings and at least he was not found grounded this time on the 23rd, but atop a roof of a smaller building where he was fed. Hoping he stays safe and continues to strengthen.

Video by FalconCam Project

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2022 11:24 pm 

What a great video! Thanks, SWINWK! :hapdance:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2022 12:00 am 

Indigo :loveshow:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2022 7:37 am 
Global Moderator

Many thanks Swinwk and Nancy!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2022 12:03 am 

:mooncat: Rubus has not been seen since he was on the roof about 3 days ago. Cilla gave the following report:

Possible Rubus sighting
BY CILLA KINROSS POSTED ON 27 NOVEMBER 2022
Despite much searching, Rubus had not been since my last post, but today has brought renewed optimism.

Not to get your hopes up, but this video appears to show the whereabouts of two juveniles at the same time. Chronology: Diamond is in the box and and Xavier is on microwave. Indigo land in the box and replaces Diamond. Another falcon (Rubus?) flies to the micrwave and Xavier leaves. Another bird flies from right to left (swallow?). I can’t obviously tell them apart from this distance, but it’s typical juvenile behaviour to chase adults. Interestingly, during our search this morning, we saw falcon leave a tree and thought it might be Rubus, but we looked at the ledge, I could no longer see Indigo, so assumed it was him. BUT it transpires Indigo was in the back of the box so not visible, so I’m now fairly confident that it was Rubus.

Video by FalconCam Project

Also, there was some concern reported over Rubus having a couple of emesis's prior to his accidental fledge and it was planned if he were in hand for any reason that he would be checked by a vet as they did not seem to coincide with a pellet. I "heard" they had wished he was taken for a check when he was grounded the other day, but Cilla was tied up with family matters and could not get to the university. Also a Hawk was seen briefly in the nest box, I believe that was yesterday.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 11:54 pm 

Thank, SWINWK.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 1:39 am 

:sorrow: Very sad news as Rubus has been found deceased.

Rubus found dead
BY CILLA KINROSS POSTED ON 29 NOVEMBER 2022
My apologies if my last post got your hopes up too much. I was hopeful, but puzzled that if it were him, and flying so well, why we hadn’t seen him flying with his parents.

His body was found today by one of our medical staff (who also watch the livestream). Cause of death is unknown. I thought at first broken neck because of the angle, but it seemed intact. I have asked the vet for an autopsy, but she said that the body is too far gone. That’s a pity as I would like to have known whether it was caused by trichomoniasis (canker) as has been suggested by some watchers. We’ve never had a case here, but the parasite could be present in the local pigeon population and transferred in the prey. It’s quite common in urban peregrine chicks where they fed pigeons as a staple.

So it looks like he died a few days after last seen on 23rd November. I don’t think he made it back to the box. He was found fairly close to where he was last seen, several hundred metres from the tower.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 8:01 am 
Global Moderator

:girlsad3:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 8:37 pm 

so sad, but I cannot believe the body deteriorated that much in such a short time( just from our experiences ).
A thought entered my mind, if this might have been body of last years juvenile that was missing right after fledge, as it was so windy.
I would never put this theory to them at Orange as they are quite touchy right now, because some watchers have been giving the moderators a hard time.

It is sad just the same. I know how they feel. When you put so much into these falcons , you feel defeated, but now rejoice in successes.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 11:31 pm 

bev. wrote:
so sad, but I cannot believe the body deteriorated that much in such a short time( just from our experiences ).
A thought entered my mind, if this might have been body of last years juvenile that was missing right after fledge, as it was so windy.
I would never put this theory to them at Orange as they are quite touchy right now, because some watchers have been giving the moderators a hard time.

It is sad just the same. I know how they feel. When you put so much into these falcons , you feel defeated, but now rejoice in successes.

That's a thought about the juvie being Izzie. Well, they don't band and there's no way of knowing. Either way, it's a shame. :sorrow:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 7:19 pm 

So sad to hear the news about sweet little Rubus. From the start, I was worried about him as he was so much younger. Nevertheless, he thrived. Too bad they don't band at the site, as it would give them a great opportunity to make sure they are healthy and have a better chance of surviving once they fledge. Rubus still had some fluff and I was hoping he would hold off on fledging. Can't remember, but do they have a fledge watch team of volunteers like many other nests do? More eyes, the better. I think these teams put their heart and soul into watching over the fledglings and many juvies are alive today because of their efforts. And to not know what happened to him makes it even harder.

:cryinggirl: :sorrow:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 9:17 pm 

ljames wrote:
So sad to hear the news about sweet little Rubus. From the start, I was worried about him as he was so much younger. Nevertheless, he thrived. Too bad they don't band at the site, as it would give them a great opportunity to make sure they are healthy and have a better chance of surviving once they fledge. Rubus still had some fluff and I was hoping he would hold off on fledging. Can't remember, but do they have a fledge watch team of volunteers like many other nests do? More eyes, the better. I think these teams put their heart and soul into watching over the fledglings and many juvies are alive today because of their efforts. And to not know what happened to him makes it even harder.

:cryinggirl: :sorrow:

No, they don't have a fledge watch team, but Cilla will go and check the fledging to make sure they're okay. She was able to get pics of Indigo and Rubus in the tree. Rubus got plenty to eat and attention, unlike some others where there are several chicks.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 11:08 pm 

Indigo just finished eating.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2022 12:59 am 

:15heartbeat: More info on Rubus from 12/2/22 by Cilla:

Tribute to Rubus
BY CILLA KINROSS POSTED ON 2 DECEMBER 2022
This was made by one of our regulars Liznm. Thanks so much for doing this.

"The assessment by the vet was that Rubus had had a collision. He had a broken clavicle and possible fractured neck. He was found near a building some distance behind the tower. His body was too decomposed for further pathological tests to be undertaken."

Video by liznm, "FalconCam Project~Lovely moments in the short life of Rubus! Fly high little one. ~November 2022"

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2022 8:54 pm 

Indigo :flirty:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2022 11:04 pm 

:15heartbeat: I've pulled out this post from Cilla that I had posted just above in case it is being missed. She chose to place it above a tribute video to Rubus and I had left it in that position. It sheds a little more light on his cause of death possibly and am unsure why it was not shared previously by her in it's entirety unless the info came to her in bits and pieces. She is now saying Rubus had a collision.

"The assessment by the vet was that Rubus had had a collision. He had a broken clavicle and possible fractured neck. He was found near a building some distance behind the tower. His body was too decomposed for further pathological tests to be undertaken."

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2022 7:13 am 
Global Moderator

Thanks Swinwk! :santawave:

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 381 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next