Bird Cams Around the World

Peregrine Falcons, Eagles, Kestrels, Ospreys, Owls and Much, Much More!!!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 514 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26
 Post subject: Re: SHEPHERDSTOWN (NCTC) ~ January-March 2011
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:54 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks for posting the link, Bev. I've given up trying to figure it out...I watched for a while this morning while the "intruder" was at the nest...no other sounds from any other eagle that I could hear...without bands/seeing all three at the same time/and observing for hours on the ground...I don't know how we're gonna sort it all out..

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:13 pm 
Global Moderator

I don't think there is anyway to sort it out. We have to rely on the eagles to sort it out for themselves. They know what is right for them and their species regardless of who we camera-watchers love.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:44 am 

That sounds like it was Belle and Tru. :(

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 1:29 pm 
Global Moderator

Maybe Liberty and the intruder had a fight and both sustained injuries to their heads . . . ? :egg16:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 7:50 pm 

Well. I personally think the intruder(I call him Benedict) has the nest.

Several visits today and really going to town on nestorating.

whether he keeps the nest till next year is another story.

I hope Lib is O.K. and without bands we will not know where he is.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:16 am 

Well I was out most of the day and when I returned I started checking on the situation at the nest. Read several blogs, was too late to see any activity myself. Below is a link to a video showing Truman landing with a fish, which Belle immediately steals from him. If Belle is taking his fish, is she just being a thief, or is she accepting his advances? Does it mean something? Am so upset about that nest. Liberty has been building that nest up all these years, it is his nest. No one can replace him. If he cant claim Belle back, I dont think it will ever be the same at this nest. And what will become of him? I am hoping he is holding out but cant understand why he didnt win the fight. Surely he can outsmart a juvenile? And even though this intruder is a juvenile, and normally eagles are not agressive with juveniles, since it is a male courting her and keeping Liberty away somehow, why doesnt Belle respond like: enough is enough, now get out! and be more agressive towards it? :egg16: Im confused. Does the female just have to end up with the male that wins? I mean, without an eaglet now, why doesnt she just follow Liberty and give up the nest then, if she's not going to fight this juvenile male? I thought on the PBS program about eagles, they said the nest really belongs to the male. Has anybody else had these same questions? It is so upsetting, this is going on for over a week now and it is not looking good. :egg10:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctTATEzA99M

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:32 am 

Just found this video. It is the intruder possibly trying to mate with Belle today, but after being chased off, he returns to try again, and Belle rushes him. :egg5: Maybe she still is holding out for her REAL GUY LIBERTY!!! It did make me feel better :egg11: Also, pls note, the last video and this one are not mine, but ones I found posted, taken by eaglelover1923.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UsTdZ1efA3Q

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:15 am 
Global Moderator

LeeLee, thank you for posting your comments and concerns as well as the video by eaglelover1923. I agree, it is most upsetting to see a long-term and much loved couple having to deal with this situation. If only we could really understand Mother Nature.

I think it was Mick who pointed out that nest takeovers have happened at many other nests we watch on camera; and it is always hard, but maybe harder the first few times one witnesses it. My heart goes out to those who may be witnessing this type of activity for the first time. Hugs to you all!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:58 pm 
Global Moderator

A comment on LeeLee's posted video (Thanks LeeLee). The male moves too soon. Give her time...

Peace reigns tonight. Belle and the new male work together on the nest. It's nice to watch them.
This from Paulaeagletmomster.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:53 pm 

I caught that last visit ... and in my one pic you can see the egg. I wouldn't say they were doing 'housekeeping' ... they were digging in the bowl where the egg was buried.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:24 pm 

Well, folks, I am heartbroken :sosad2 I did not even watch at all today, just cant watch this site anymore. I agree with bev and shall refer to the immature male intruder as Benedict. Benedict may have charmed some of you, but he has not charmed me. :twisted: Benedict is the main reason we lost Paddy. Benedict is a home wrecker :egg14: And if Belle has decided to have him, I say Lib, go ahead on. "Benedict and Belle" hmmmmmmmm......

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:49 pm 

Nature is nature. I certainly have learned that the hard way. With the raptors increasing ,these things are bound to happen.

We certainly cannot put blame anywhere. This is pure instinct. If Paddie Joy had been a bit older , we May have found this male a contributor, but we will never know.

Might not like what happens but I think most people would like to see a productive nest site rather than Bell by herself.

So let us remember Liberty and hope is flying around somewhere and just hope for the best here. this is a young male and he has a lot to learn

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:04 pm 

LeeLee wrote:
. . . why doesnt she just follow Liberty and give up the nest then

It's ALL about territory. We've seen it with Eagles and Peregrine Falcons. The nest and surrounding territory is more important than the mate. And nature also is all about survival of the fittest.
So when a new male challenges the resident male, the stronger one wins and the female will accept him as her partner.
It is HER nest, her "kingdom" and she needs a mate that is strong and able to provide for her and her offspring.
The bond between male and female is strong, they are completely committed to each other, but only as long as each one of the pair is capable of defending the territory. If not, that's it the end of the relationship.

We humans have added all kinds of other considerations into our relationship with a mate/partner. And that is okay for us (or maybe not . . . ), but we must be aware not to expect the same thoughts and feelings and emotions in animals.

It doesn't mean that we can't feel sad and sorry when such a transition takes place, but we must never forget that this what life in the wild is all about and that we can only observe and admire all that we witness and learn from it.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:35 pm 
Global Moderator

Well said Bev and DEF.

I could only watch a very short time today. When I turned on the cams they were both in the nest. The egg has been thoroughly covered and a new hole has appeared in a different spot. They worked together side by side.
Maybe this digging will turn into a future egg cup.

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 514 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26