Bird Cams Around the World

Peregrine Falcons, Eagles, Kestrels, Ospreys, Owls and Much, Much More!!!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 436 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next
 Post subject: Re: NORFOLK BOTANICAL GARDENS ~ 2012
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:15 pm 

Well, thank you all for your comments on this and bringing over all the links. Its hard to imagine that we won't be watching this amazing eagle anymore, he has set the bar for greatness among male eagles and the lessons learned at this nest over the years have been just amazing.

My personal thoughts on this are:
- The biggest loser in all of this is the Botanical Gardens who brought this amazing eagle nest to us and have watched this family up close with all of their supporters. They have obviously gained significantly from a business perspective, but who knows what all these measures they plan on implementing will do to the rest of the wildlife in their beautiful, wild garden property.
- Everyone will lose without the WVEC forum and Reese. Lord knows how many millions of adults and kids have been educated through this incredibly well run chat. A huge community developed through all of this... viewers, photographers, moderators, the press, that will sadly go away. I learned almost everything I know about eagles being a part of this phenomenon over the past 6 years. It was what got me into cams, falcons, this forum, and working with CCB. I am so grateful to have been a part of it, and remnants are all over my house.
- Unfortunately, once the issue became hot publicly, there was no way to avoid this from happening. As Gigi points out, if something did happen to a plane and the passengers, it would be an absolute disaster.
- I feel almost certain that this incredible male eagle will continue to nest in this area. He is certainly not going to let this minor inconvenience send him away from his territory of the last 10 years. I'm sure, if he does find a fertile female, we will get to know how it goes. Lake Whitehurst makes this one of the best eagle territories in the area, and unless they drain the lake, which I doubt they can, wildlife will stay there no matter what. Fortunately, CCB does a survey every year, so we will know where the new nest is if it is nearby.
- I'm not sure what to say about Ed's comments, but I know many appreciate his words of wisdom.

I'm so sad this is the end of the road for this cam, but I am sure our Dad will continue to produce fantastic offspring that repopulate the area with more great eagles. If you don't know, both Azelea and Camellia vist the gardens and hang out around the local area. They will soon be producing the next generation of great ones.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:56 pm 

I understand the need for public safety in and around a airport, especially one that has Lake Whitehurst on three sides of it. The airport in Norfolk has many more issues with birds than two eagles, and their off spring. There are Osprey nests everywhere, at least 15 of them. Osprey hunt in Lake Whitehurst in direct line with landing patterns. The amount of geese, cormorants, sea gulls and migratory birds is incredible. I live 5 minutes from the Garden and witness this activity on a daily basis. Removing the eagle nest from Norfolk Botanical Garden will effectively accomplish absolutely nothing as Dad and his mate will certainly build another nest in this area. I hope it is my neighbors 120 foot pine trees. Myself and others watched the greatest eagle of all time (NBG Female) and Dad build the nest that is being removed from the very first stick.
We watched Mom roll her eggs in 2010 to keep them warm after a snow storm buried the nest. All three eaglets survived even though some said it was doubtful. I could go on and on about the first hand experiences witnessed at this eagles nest, most of them incredible, some spiritual and unfortunately, some tragic.
I really enjoyed every ones' commentary. It is not over yet as Dad and his mate will prevail without fail. I have watched it over and over! Until we meet again.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:52 pm 

I hope things work out for dad & hopefully he will nest close to you Jim and you can keep us updated on them.
Such a sad thing. I have read that there are eagles that take over Osprey nest we all have heard a story or 2 about this so maybe they will go to one of them and you can get some pictures

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:42 pm 

Thanks for your perspective Jim. How cool would that be if dad and his mate chose your neighbor's tree. Put the "AVAILABLE" sign out now!!! Interesting about all the other nesting birds in the area. I am not surprised. Wonder if "they" are going to dismantle those nests too.... Time will tell. Keep us posted on anything you may see Jim.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:45 pm 

First off .... there is a petition you can sign if you are so inclined... whether or not it helps.
http://www.thepetitionsite.com/935/260/ ... agle-nest/

Second ... Susan ... bless you for your comments. I've been very angry (has it shown??) about all this and I don't even live in Norfolk. And you are right ... it is wonderful to be able to post here and have others respect your comments and better yet ... understand them! :bughug:

Third ... Barb ... you've hit the nail on the head. It's the publicity. Like I said, if there had never been a camera on this nest I bet the FAA wouldn't be putting so much pressure on the city.

Lastly ... how can they even consider faulting the city IF there were to be another strike with an Eagle??? Isn't that considered an act of nature??? How can anyone sue anyone for that?? Did the people that survived the crash in the Hudson river sue the city of New York??? That's just a bunch of bull poo!!

PS ... I've seen other photogs state that if Dad does build a new nest somewhere and they find it they will not be sharing the location or pictures. Perhaps unless of course it isn't on NBG property or near the airport?? Hmmmm

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:33 pm 

PattiO, I agree with you, and have been so upset over this I could not post anything the last 2 days because I was too angry.

jmm and obxbarb, thank you for your comments. I guess you both said exactly what I wanted to say, but did not have a cool enough head to type it!

Dad will build his nest where he wants, and lets just see how far they will go with this then. Meanwhile, I intend to sign the petition, and urge the citizens of Norfolk to vote out the city council members, who basically did nothing early enough according to Ed Clark's comments.

Re Ed Clarks comments, he is a great guy and has educated us alot. With that said, I didnt appreciate reading about 4 days ago now, on the WCV chat, a couple of posters commenting that the EagleNation people would have to move over to the CritterNation site, and would be bringing more money to the WCV, which they were cheering about. Totally inappropriate, and should not have been posted during this heated time.

Have decided to hold out hope that we will once again look upon Dad Norfolk and #3 in a nest, feeding their eaglets.

Going now to sign the petition, thx for posting that info.

:girlyes:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:57 pm 

I think because the Bald Eagle nest at Norfolk Botanical Garden was so high profile that is part of it's demise, and of course many misinformed decision makers did not help. Let me offer a story that makes me think this
way. This past winter in York County a pair of Eagles took over a Osprey nest while the Osprey were gone. There were some crazy battles when the Osprey returned but the Eagles prevailed. As it turns out we could visit this place and see one active eagle's nest with two adults and two eaglets in it. This nest sat on top power pole with high voltage power lines right underneath it. Everyone survived and the power company had it's concerns. We could stand right under this nest if we wanted to. Also in very plain sight were three very active Osprey nests, all of them occupied. Not far away is Newport News International Airport and Langley Air Force Base. Langley is several miles from this nest location and not on top of this like NNIA is but I would think it would be a concern for the Air Force. So we have one eagles nest, three Osprey nest, all active and I would stand there watching jets leaving the airport all morning. One day I was there and a AWACS plane kept circling as I believe he was doing touch and goes. I could only think of the situation at the Garden and what is up with this. All of these active nests in plain view and one airport and a Air Force base in the vicinity. I don't get this and not one word was ever said that I heard. I honestly don't understand people sometimes. Why is this allowed to go on and these planes were low, yet the the beautiful Male Eagle and his mate get their nest removed. Is it because of the high profile?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 8:59 am 

Thanks Jim. It is just such a shame. All I can think of is that some bureaucrat with not enough to do, put the Norfolk eagles on his agenda. If this nest had been "under the radar" so to speak, probably none of this would have occurred.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:11 am 

WOW!!!! is the only thing that comes to mind
Fireworks, paintballs may be used in eagles' eviction

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:36 am 

Quick look at Buddy and OH HOW HANDSOME

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:45 am 

Here is a link to the Eagle Peeps FB page for the petition to save the nest if anyone wants to sign it
These people are very dedicated to the Norfolk Nest i found them a while back and just love their devotion
They are having a rally in Norfolk & signs are up all over to sign the petition I just can't say enough about them
and ttheir love for the Eagles at the garden.
just go to upper right hit edit doc sign your name at the bottom then save
They are taking the petition to the meeting on the 28th

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:55 am 

I am horrified. As you know, I have been trying really hard to be supportive of the removal of the eagles in the name of safety for birds and humans. But "they" have clearly crossed the line with me now. The decision to build an airport near a wildlife area was originally flawed and now, in my opinion, they are compounding that original bad decision. i have signed the petition.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:07 am 

:tearhair Well, well...So much for Ed Clark and others saying that it was removing the nest was only part of a program for ALL birds to be discouraged...Clearly, as we thought, they are targeting the eagles, and what would make them think paintballs should be allowed? Thats not just discouraging wildlife, or even harassing them, that is potentially causing injury.

So now we get a clearer idea of just how crazy these people are. Who was thinking these were the "reasonable" people?

I am sickened by hearing this, and any wildlife agency that allows that to go on is worthless.

Poor Dad. As suspected, they just dont want them to stop flying at the airport, but to leave the entire area, ala "the farther the better". I saw that one coming. And how does the lady in charge of NBG think they will be able to find and track Dad where ever he ends up to "maintain a relationship" or whatever the wording was?

This is a step BACKWARD in Eagle Conservation. I hope the CCB comments and shames them all.

:girlyes:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:30 am 
Site Admin

This is just plain absurd. :furious: .I am going to go and sign the petition but I really think in order to even have an impact, they need to have a huge turnout at the Council meeting.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:11 pm 
Global Moderator

"It is horrifying that we have to fight our own government to save the environment."
*Ansel Adams*

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:47 pm 

I am thoroughly enraged . there are better ways to deal with this. A noise boom gun is used in Victoria.

I love these eagles and I know one day dad will not be around , but we will always wonder, what if.....

Of course, no one wants to see a plane go down, but no matter what they do , they will stop a stray bird from flying in the area.

By the way, do they realize that this happens more away from airports than near them. What are they going to do. go all over the country destroying nest sites of every known bird.

Why does man always thinks he has the right to destroy nature and habitat .

I am fighting every day, for the rights of animals and birds. I fight for our grizzlies, and cougars and wolves and of course our birds.

We build airports and housing development where nature is at its best and then scream when a cougar comes in back yard , An eagle or other bird , comes in path of plane, ;a hiker is mauled by a bear(sorry but you are walking in their backyard).

I am very passionate where nature is concerned . I am not a tree hugger but I am try every day to make it a better place for all nature.

Man can look after himself but if we care about nature, we have to look out for them . Man has choices, nature does not.

I hope our eagles prevail. I am disappointed that Norfolk is not doing more to fight against this . and if the city council had any ba--- they would fight this also. As someone mentioned,t hey cannot sue the city, for what is an act of nature. there would be a lawyer just waiting to make this case law for nature
My comm nets are not eloquent, just from the heart

Norfolk gardens and their eagles have been very educational and has brouhgt many countries together through their cams. May they prevail

Very saddened

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:05 pm 

Points well taken. And I think you were quite eloquent bev.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:13 pm 

Very well said, Bev. This whole situation is way out of hand. I went to sign the petition, and discovered I cannot do so without joining Facebook. I would like to suggest that the petition also be made available for signing without having to sign in to Facebook, so that more people will become involved.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:49 am 

There is still so much going on ... lots of things to try and keep track of on Facebook. I wish there was ONE central location for all things concerning this nest.

I'm just going to copy some of things I've read tonight.

Quote:
On the August 28 Norfolk Council Agenda
Item R-32
Creation of an Animal Advisory Board in Norfolk

This ordinance will create a nine member Animal Advisory Board appointed by City Council. There will be three non-voting board members. If approved, the Animal Advisory Board will act in an advisory capacity to the City Manager and City Council in matters related to animal welfare in the community. Approval is recommended.

Quote:
Carol Flaer Senechal
Well, I am now officially on the list to speak tomorrow night at the City Council meeting!!! YAY!!!!!

Quote:
Just read this at Eagle Peeps and yes this is our Roy,
Jehan Shevalier Thank you Roy! It went well for only giving 24 hour notice. There were almost 100 signatures collected on site and 100+ collected off site. At this point we are planning another petition drive, just not sure where or when yet. We will present what we have and explain it is an ongoing effort. The wonderful Norfolk City Councilman Tommy Smigiel has said that " I am in the process of drafting a letter to the Norfolk Airport Authority asking for a one year delay of nest removal in order to study alternative options. I hope to see many of you at the Council meeting this Tuesday, asking for the same." So we shall keep working! Thanks so much for your support from across the pond! :)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:54 am 

:thumbup Oh Patti thank you so much for bringing these over I completely forgot to

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 436 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next