Bird Cams Around the World

Peregrine Falcons, Eagles, Kestrels, Ospreys, Owls and Much, Much More!!!
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:14 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Surveying Cobb Cam Watchers on Fundraising Interest
PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 5:52 pm 

Hello to all the Cobb cam watchers. I am posting this same message on the Cobb Falcon and Owl forums.

I wanted to update you on discussions regarding the Cobb cam this week.

The CCB biologists are in general agreement that the camera will not be functional now. The equipment was likely flooded, and will need to be replaced. Their assessment is that replacement will cost $1,300. They are assessing any equipment from other areas that may be recycled, but there is probably not much used equipment available. They did however plan on fixing the platform for next season.

The Cobb Cam has become a special cam for us on the BCAW forum, and for the biologists. It is one of the few nest locations in Virginia that has access to a wireless signal. We have also been very lucky to have CCB biologists Libby and Shawn participate on the forum and help us understand what we are watching, both at Cobb and James River, as well as Richmond and the Norfolk Eagle cam.

Libby and I have discussed the possibility of raising some funds from our members to help sponsor this cam so that it can continue to exist.

I would like to ask how many members would have an interest in donating to this effort. The few folks I have discussed this with have already offered to start a fund with several hundred dollars in donations. We don't know yet what the condition of the cam and supporting equipment are yet, so the cost is still somewhat uncertain. Shawn and Libby are planning on taking a trip the week after Thanksgiving to check on the cam and tower. I'm not sure if we will hear anything on the Barn Owls prior to that or not.

Please let us know your thoughts, either here or pm me, Beth or skygirlblue. We just want to see if there is enough interest to get a fund started for now, at least until CCB can get more specifics.

Thanks very much, and we are so grateful for all the new and existing members who have posted such wonderful thoughts here at Cobb.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Surveying Cobb Cam Watchers on Fundraising Interest
PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 6:29 pm 
Global Moderator

Thank you Barb for talking with Libby and updating us on the Cobb nestsite.

I really have taken to this cam and the Island site...So unique!

I found these quotes and thought how many wonderful friends I/we have meet because our love of owls, falcons and all God's creatures...

*Kindness throws out roots in all directions, and the roots spring up and make new trees.*
*Fundraising is “friends raising together,” we open limitless doors in support of nature/animals causes.*

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 7:41 pm 

I would be happy to make a contribution - it's just that it won't be much. Time's are tough these days. :roll: But if a lot of us each gave a little - it would add up!!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 8:58 am 
Site Admin

Thank you for posting and updating us, Barb. I for one would be more than happy to contribute to this cam. It has always been one of my favorites (Cobb Cuties Rock!) and I really would hate to lose it. I certainly know that none of us have money trees in our backyards, but for me, its time to "Pay it forward" as a way for me to show my support. I would think that I would have a couple of months since we don't expect the falcons back until spring...and who knows..maybe Shawn and Libby will find a little miracle owlet when they go out for a tour. I understand that the area was probably hit very hard, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the tower "weathered the storm"!!

Barb, thanks for keeping us updated!!! Just like the donations for Froona's kitties, I know this will be a very personal decision!!

Beth, I loved the quotes!!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 8:05 pm 

I'm in.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:39 am 

I'd be glad to donate.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:35 pm 

I'll be glad to help.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:45 pm 
Global Moderator

I sent obxbarb a pm but should have posted here: I'm also willing to help with funds.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:03 pm 

SusanE wrote:
I sent obxbarb a pm but should have posted here: I'm also willing to help with funds.

Yes, I sent her one right after she posted here telling her I'm in...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:38 pm 

I'm in too. Hope it can be done with Paypal, that's the easiest way for me to make international payments. (And least costly) ;)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:44 pm 

Many thanks to everyone who has responded, through pm or on here. Yes Ingrid, I believe we can still use our paypal account.

Libby is busy networking for surplus equipment as well.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:36 pm 
Global Moderator

It sure would be nice if Libby can get corporate sponsorship or something like that in the next few months, but we can be her safety net if she can't.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 4:53 pm 

I've contributed to VA wildlife last year on their website. :turkeywave:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 4:37 pm 

Hi everyone,

I want to say thank you for your continued interest in this webcam and support of Virginia's Peregrines (and owls!). Now that we've gotten confirmation of the destruction of the camera equipment from the storm's tidal surge, we can start pulling together a list of items to replace. We have a few extra parts from old cameras we can salvage. We also had one forum/cam watcher who generously has offered to donate some of his extra webcam supplies. Our most costly replacement will be the wireless camera server $800-1500. We don't receive financial support from the state to support the cameras and a full replacement will be outside our budget. We're trying to be as creative and resourceful as possible to ensure the continuation of this webcam but need your help to make it a success. A big thanks to Barb who moderates this forum for offering to organize a fundraiser to help CCB.

We're planning a workday to repair the Cobb nest tower in January. The platform that holds the nest box has broken away from the pilings supporting it (ever notice the lean in the back right corner?). This will involve several boats for lumber, crew to cut and hoist lumber, and of course, Shawn our camera expert. He'll do a full assessment of the situation and check the remaining cameras and solar panels to see if they still work.

While there are many falcon webcams online these days, the Cobb nest is one of the few that allows us to watch and monitor falcons in their native habitat. While not historically abundant as breeders on the barrier islands, peregrines are a unique and vital part of the salt marsh-beach ecosystem. Cobb Island was one of the first places where peregrines were reintroduced to the Eastern US and it has been an active nest site since the mid 1980s. The falcons were initially released from the lighthouse on top of the historic coast guard station on the island. Barn owls used to nest in the oven in the old station. The station was moved to the mainland by barge in 1998 by The Nature Conservancy who own and protect many of the marshes and beaches in Virginia. Now we access the falcon nest tower through the old coast guard harbor that hasn't been dredged in years (always an adventure!). This nest is one of my favorite to visit because it's at a historic site and is on a pristine barrier island. We've got a page on the Cobb tower's history with a few photos http://ccb-wm.org/programs/peregrine/peregrine_coast_cobbis.htm

Also, if you have suggestions about how we can improve the webcam or our VAfalcons website for viewers, this is a great time to provide your input. I'm not a html wiz but I will try my best to accommodate your suggestions.

Again thanks for your support,
Libby

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:07 pm 
Global Moderator

Thanks for the update, Libby! I would like to contribute to the new equipment needed. Do you know if there's a PayPal account already set up where those of us who'd like to make contributions toward the Cobb cam can do so?

:dangleballs:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:41 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks from me too, Libby...I just love this location and this cam....so I too am also wanting to contribute....We'll see what we can get going from a BCAW forum standpoint...

Thanks for stopping by and updating us...

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 1:10 am 

Thank you so much for the update Libby!! Do we want to make contributions as a group? or individually? I don't have a Paypal account and prefer to make a donation with a check, if possible. I am going to post this info. on the Maine forum as well ... there may be some there willing to donate as well.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 9:52 am 
Site Admin

Thanks for posting on Maine, PattiO...My guess, is that we'll do it individually...but we'll need to have some discussion about all of this first..and Barb and Libby can guide us as to the best way to do this...

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:08 am 
Global Moderator

Thank you Libby...
Barb will be back on Tuesday from vacation and I am sure she
will have a plan/information for the Cobb falcons/owls :rudired:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 9:53 pm 
Global Moderator

*Merry Christmas owl friends*

Profile E-mail