Bird Cams Around the World

Peregrine Falcons, Eagles, Kestrels, Ospreys, Owls and Much, Much More!!!
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 432 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next
 Post subject: Re: MISC OTHER OWLS-2009/2010
PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:12 pm 
Global Moderator

I loved your videos SGB! :leavestup:

From blog, Sun Nov 14

Teeny in first light, looking for a way back to the balcony. It eventually flew onto the bird bath, but couldn't settle there. Eventually Teeny went back to the patio and found the owl box.

Teeny sitting next to the owl box on the braai area. We moved the owl box dowstairs from the balcony, when Teeny couldn't get back up.
Photo taken with camera hanging out of a window of the lounge.

This is Teeny trying to get into our lounge from the patio. Teeny flapped against the glass, pecked at it and did its best to squeeze inside. It didn't work, and Teeny ended up by the owl box all day.

An excerpt from Mon 15th

Our petition count to Save-the-Wetland is now at over 17 000 signatures! We are absolutely amazed, delighted and humbled by the flood of interest and support we have received thus far. Originally, we set our target for 10 000 signatures and thought we were stretching the mark a bit. In two weeks, we have almost doubled the target signatures, which proves to me that people do care - even when something does not directly affect them. I am so grateful to everyone all over the world who has pledged support for our small South African wetland, and 'our' owl family's survival. We have not saved the wetland yet, but this petition goes a long way to showing the powers that be, what people want, what our Laws state and what we should be protecting. Please continue to pass on the link to more people. Our target of 10 000 was the bare minimum we thought we needed to stand up and be noticed. The greater the support, the louder our voices will be when the time comes to hand the petition over. Thank you from the bottom of our hearts!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:18 pm 

Isn't that just the greatest news to hear thanks for posting that Mick
makes me feel good to know that there are people that care so much
:leafwave:

Oh my goodness I just really looked at the pictures and arent they sweet

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:06 pm 

I wasn't able to get the cam, but there is a new entry for today here:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:00 am 

This blog is just wonderful, and the way Tracy writes is very moving. You can feel her pride and relief that Teeny will make it after such a critical time at the beginning.

I'm so glad there are people like them - and all the others who have our wildlife and habitat at heart, in the world. Thank you all so much :hearts:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:13 pm 
Global Moderator

Hi Warbler; these folks are extraordinary. :P

From Nov 17th blog
(The owl box was moved down to where teeny has "fledged")
After a heavy downpour last night, we wake to find two sorry-looking chicks in the nest. Jelani and Indie appear to have been out all night / early morning in the rain, for their feathers are drenched. The expressions on their faces say it all "Had enough!".

Teeny, on the other hand, is almost completely dry, standing near the owl box. The chick is not out hunting with its parents yet, so when the rain came down harder, Teeny must have taken shelter.

Teeny in a box

There are now 22300 signatures on the petition to attempt to save the wetlands from the home developer. To get an idea of the strong response; I signed on Nov 1st and was # 334.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:39 pm 
Global Moderator

Great news and coverage, thanks everyone!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:01 pm 
Global Moderator

:-?
Thursday 18 November
04h50: We are woken up by the sound of crash behind us. We peep through the curtain by the window above our bed, to find an owl sitting on the windowsill - one of the chicks. It didn't see us so we quickly backed off. Next thing, the chickflaps and bashes against the window. The windows open outwards and up, and the chick is between the glass and the window ledge, trying to fly out. Every time it attempts, it hits the glass window.

Suddenly, the chick loses its footing and falls into our bedroom, onto the bed - almost on top of me. Luckily I knew what this bundle of feathers was before it descended on me, otherwise you would no doubt have heard a blood-curdling scream.....

Quickly, we pick the chick up, open the balcony door and put it outside. The chick is panicked, and flies to the balcony pillar immediately. Pappa joins the chick, hooting a lot. By now, the second chick has joined everyone on the balcony. I think Pappa and Pot Plant Owl must have decided to take the family to their roosting spot for the day, because one by one, they all fly to the neighbour's roof, and then across the road to the next roof, before disappearing behind the trees. I hope we see them tonight.

Leaving behind Teeny, who was on the garage roof of the neighbour's house. We knew there was no way of Teeny following its family, because the flight across the road to the other complex, is a long upward flight for Teeny. Teeny tried getting over our complex wall, and got caught by the electric fence. For a brief moment, we thought Teeny was hurt, but seconds later, it was on the ground again, hissing. Teeny is now sitting on the ground at the back of the neighbour's house.

As soon as the neighbour wakes up, we will ask if we can fetch Teeny and return it to the nest. Teeny is struggling with flying up, and gaining height. We now think Teeny may be lacking confidence in his / her flying, and this is the reason why Teeny is not attempting anything but wall to wall flying along a horizontal path. By returning Teeny to the nest, we hope that when night falls and PPO returns to feed it, Teeny will attempt to fly from one roof to the other. When Teeny manages this, like the other chicks, Teeny will be able to join the family once and for all. We will return Teeny to the nest probably at 06h30 Central African Time.

06h35 Central Africam Time: We found Teeny on a windowsill at the back of the neighbour's house. We were worried that Teeny had been hurt by the electric fence, but Teeny appears to be okay. We picked it up and brought it back up to the balcony. We also carried the owl box back upstairs before we got Teeny, so it had something familiar there. Teeny is now sitting in the owl box.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:15 pm 
Global Moderator

OMG.... :o

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:15 pm 
Global Moderator

Friday 19 November
From the blog
"It looks as if our chicks have finally fledged. We woke this morning to find an empty balcony. Sitting on the far wall separating our neighbours' houses, we spot Teeny sitting with, we think, Jelani. The two of them look like peas in a pod, squashed together looking out over the gardens. Pappa has used the same spot before to watch the nest during the day. There is a large tree directly above the chicks, but instead of using the tree, the chicks seem content with the wall.

There's no sign of Indie or the parents. We suspect they are all across the road in a tree nearby."

More on the blog

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 8:55 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks so much for posting all the Blog entries everyone!!! That was some story about the owl getting into the bedroom!!! YIKES!!!...and now on to today's touching blog entry:

Saturday, November 20, 2010

Day of Fledging Sat 20 November
The day has come. We wake this morning to find the balcony empty. We scour our walls and the neighbours' walls for any sign of little chicks, but we can't find them.

As with the previous two years, it is a bitter-sweet moment for us. Neither one of us is happy, but we are relieved that the chicks are strong enough to go out with their parents into the 'wild'. Indie, Jelani and now Teeny, have proven that they can fly well enough to keep out of trouble. Soon, Pot Plant Owl and Pappa will have taught them how to hunt properly,and they will be set.

Thank you to everyone that has watched our owl family on the webcam. The emails and blog comments, and comments posted on the chat, have all been incredibly moving. We may not get around to thanking each and everyone one of you, but please know that all your comments are read and gratefully received.

A big thank you to Africam for allowing us to show you what we witness in our own home. Africam is a wonderful company that affords thousands of people the opportunity of watching natural at its best, that otherwise may never be able to see it. We appreciate the loan of the webcam which brought you the visuals and sound, which was amazing. Thank you!

13h00: A bit of light relief on this day of sadness for us, and other owl lovers. Allan is out on the balcony as I type this entry, cursing under his breath. Hosepipe in one hand, a plastic bucket in the other - Allan is on the first (of many) cleaning duties we will have to perform. It smells like a dumpster out there and I'm sure Allan is holding his breath in between mutterings. So far, he's found umpteen bones, feathers, pellets, and remains of prey. He's pulled out a 30cm piece from a half-eaten snake, and rat tails too. "Lovely presents you left, Indie, Jeli and Teeny. Really well thought out."

Round one of cleaning is over, and I think Allan has de-snaked the balcony by now. I bet the next shift is mine - yuck! "I'm going to have to bath in Dettol", Allan has just said, coming back into the house. I'm still hearing him mutter, mutter as the bathroom door closes.
Teehee - and I get to sit here and chat. Life is sweet!

We will leave the webcam on tonight and tomorrow morning, just in case the chicks return for a quick visit.

The webcam will be switched off tomorrow, Sunday 21 November, at approx. 19h00 Central African Time. Allan and I will briefly come onto the balcony to say hi (from approx 18h40), and to answer any final questions you may have.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:21 pm 

Thanks for the last post, SGB. Apparently the cam has already been turned off cause I couldn't get it. Fly safe & free Teeny, Indie, and Jelani! We will miss you!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:07 am 
Site Admin

I was finally able to get the cam...of course, no little owls to see...but, returning to normal...I guess...

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:54 am 

In the blog, Tracy says that Allan started the delightful job of cleaning up... We can all imagine what he'll have found as leftovers :shock: .

I'd like to say a huge thanks to Tracy and Allan for all that they've done for the owls. Let's hope that there'll still be Wetlands near their house next year so that the owls will be able to nest again. :leavestup:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:02 pm 
Global Moderator

Signatures are at 25346. I hope the petition makes a difference.
Here is a google image of the wetlands.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:15 pm 

Wow, it's like ... right in the middle of the town. OH, what a shame it would be for them to ruin it!!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:17 am 

Mick that's a wonderful image because it really shows how serious the situation is. I'll post it on the Italian site, if you don't mind! :wink:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:40 am 
Site Admin

Update from yesterday!!

Tuesday, November 23, 2010

We have been flooded with emails / comments forwarded to us from Africam, and our own email. Thank you so much to everyone that has sent messages and questions etc. We will do our best to reply to each message, but please understand if we don't manage.

Quick update from last night (22 Nov):
Teeny hunted in our neighbours' gardens for a couple of hours - periodically flying up to the wall to look out. Teeny still hisses loudly (that's why we knows its Teeny!), and Pot Plant Owl was there with food.

We didn't see or hear Pappa all night. We are sure that Indie is with Pappa, and I suspect Pappa is showing Indie how to hunt bigger prey - like rats. Indie is our adventurer, so will be up for the challenge. Jelani was spotted briefly at twilight on the roofto[, but left shortly after nightfall. Jeli might be trying its luck with king crickets in other gardens that we can't see, or perhaps Jeli even goes into the wetland

Also, Allan and Tracy's goodbye's through these videos....but be sure and watch some of the other Videos posted on Kriszta's site. They are so good...she even has posted an interview with Stacy O'Brien, Wesley the Owls "mom"...really good....

Have fun..

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:51 pm 
Global Moderator

Look who I found last night at the Burrowing Owl site on the Wildwachcams...(now the cam is down)

ImageImage

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:55 pm 

I found this announcement at the Florida Barred Owls webpage:

News Flash
Nov 23 - We have seen and heard the owls and it looks likely they will be using the nest box again this year. I plan on using Ustream to broadcast 24/7 during the nesting season. Hope you will join us.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:26 pm 
Global Moderator

:sfthumbs: Thanks Nancy!

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 432 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next