Bird Cams Around the World

Peregrine Falcons, Eagles, Kestrels, Ospreys, Owls and Much, Much More!!!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 346 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next
 Post subject: Re: LILY THE BLACK BEAR 2011
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:51 pm 

Honey is awake looking at Lucky. I should have youtubed the clip of Faith nursing & motring yesterday. it's on Lilys FB

Post subject: Re: LILY THE BLACK BEAR~2011 & 2012
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:13 am 

http://www.bear.org/livecams/jewel-den-cam.php

Jewel is ready to give birth soon http://www.bearstudy.org/website/resear ... abor-.html

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:47 pm 

I agree with LeeLee's comments below; I, too, find it very difficult to watch this camera after the shooting death of Hope. More could have been done to prevent the shooting of a bear most of us had become quite attached to, especially given the circumstances.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:50 pm 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:59 pm 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:59 pm 

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:32 pm 

named Heb & fern

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:12 am 

Heb?? Strange name? I haven't watched them as much as I wanted to. They're getting so big already!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:36 pm 

jewel & cubs\

and Lily & Faith

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:59 pm 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:46 pm 

fun & games

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 1:43 am 

Lily & Faith have split

I can't believe the time has gone by so quickly..

They were able to get a radio collar on Faith, so hopefully they will be able to check on her. I'm sad for her, especially after all she went through last fall and the loss of Hope. I pray she stays safe and we are able to follow her into adulthood.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 6:32 pm 

:tissue: Jo was shot and killed yesterday. On May 17th they reported that she had taken yearling Victoria into the Soudan area where there are no bear feeding stations, and some folks accept bears going through, others threaten to shoot them. How sad, and the DNR has taken her body for the investigation of the shooting. Victoria is so beautiful, she has a face colored similar to Hope's, I have her face on my cellphone. I hope she can find food in safe areas, and is not at risk also.

You can read the report on the daily updates, May 17th and May 22nd.

There is nothing that would ever make me shoot a black bear, no matter how big it was, or scary to me (not), or anything else. More and more people are learning if they call their Fish & Game or DNR folks, the "nuisance" bear will be shot, so more and more dont report the sighting at all. Maybe in MN you are allowed to shoot a bear anytime if its on your property? Not in my state, only govt folks can shoot "nuisance" bears.

www.bear.org

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 9:38 pm 
Site Admin

thanks for reporting that very sad, news, Leelee. . after Hope was killed, I stopped following the bears. . Hope's death just broke my heart too much. .

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 10:20 pm 

this really does infuriate me.

My friends son shot a bear when thy went way up north and I gave him what for. I told him, you go into their territory, and you expect them to leave.

My grandchildren will never see wildlife if this keeps up.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:57 pm 

:nailbite: This Saturday, Sept 1st, hunting season begins in MN. We are approaching a year since we lost our beloved Hope.

My 7 year old neice has learned the love of bears and raptors from me. Last year, she was learning how to read sentences (6 yrs old). As I had the page open, reading of Hope being shot, she got upset, and then became hysterical almost, crying. I had to make a snap decision, and though I didnt want to, I lied to her and told her it wasnt Hope, but another bear. She is my brothers child, and I had not yet had a discussion with him as far as what we tell her about death, etc. and felt I had to clear it with the parent before going there with her, or if he even wanted her to know when wildlife died, etc. We have not spoken of Hope since, I just replaced her name with Faith, and showed her the videos of Faith and Lily, etc.

Just last week, her teenage sister asked me in front of her, what ever happened to the bear Hope that we were watching on the videos? To my surprise, my 7 year neice looked at me and replied to her sister "Hope was shot and killed by the hunters. We dont believe in shooting bears."

I realize now that when she became hysterical last year, she was feeding off the look of sadness on my face for a split second, before I figured out what to say.

I have finally released the anger and frustration, hence emotional grief. I can tell you it has taken MOST of the past year to do that. I thought there must surely be something wrong with me for it to take that long. Then I was on youtube, watching an owl video. I looked to the right and saw that someone had a posted a memorial video to Hope, which I never saw before. So I went ahead and clicked on it.

I watched the video, and it was lovely. I looked below to see when it was uploaded, since I did not recall ever seeing it before. To my surprise, it was made July 28th or so of 2012. So I checked the comments, and I can tell you I was so happy to realize that SOMEONE ELSE out there had been still grieving for our Hope, and decided to post a memorial video for her as the year marker was approaching.

As most of you know, I usually speak my mind straight out, lashing out when something I care about protecting has been hurt or wronged. There is also a flip side to me. When I realize that someone I have criticized has done something RIGHT, I will always give credit where credit is due. This is one of those times.

If you have read the bear.org daily updates, over a month ago a young bear they thought was Oliana had an injured paw. NABC actually brought a veternarian with them on the walk and treated her injured paw and gave it medicine to help heal the ugly wound. This is a first that I myself know of. If you recall in the past they werent able to or allowed to bring a veternarian to treat a bear.

So I am saying KUDOS to the NABC for actually treating an injured bear. It turned out this bear was not Oliana, but a bear they did not know. They posted that it was possibly a captive bear (pet?) that someone released into the area, figuring it would survive since there were other bears in the area. It did not. It walked into a garage where children were playing, and was shot. Not NABC's fault, not at all. In fact, they posted that it seemed "almost too friendly" when they were treating it, hence it was probably too used to seeing people if it had been a pet or handled too much.

I am grateful to them for doing the right thing, regardless of what happened later, and want to acknowledge and encourage that.

THIS YEAR they are saying that there is not alot of food around, raspberries have dried up, etc. so I am expecting many of the bears to go to the bait stations hunters will be setting up. They have listed most of who the 15 collared with ribbons bears are, which include June, Lily, Jewel, Faith, Aster, Juliet, Daisy, & Braveheart. Dont know who else will be chosen.

I still dont "get" why the hunters, who have all of the northern half of MN to hunt bears in, have to go to the area where the Research Bears are to hunt. After all, its a big area, but not THAT big, right? MN has I think 30,000 bears or 130,000 bears? Dont remember the number, but 30,000 itself is ALOT, right? My only answer can be because it is easy pickins for the hunters. Put out some Dunkin Donuts, and just wait. No work involved. I just dont get why they call THAT hunting...

And the MN DNR has once again requested no hunters shoot research bears collared and with ribbons.

With that said, will be keeping "fingers crossed" none of the research bears slip their collars before the end of September.

And for those of you reading this who are wondering "WHY is she doing this again, even watching these bears, and here we go again worrying WHO could be shot?" I can only say that just like with my barn owls, I am devasted with each individual death, but I so love both raptors and bears with such passion, that I cannot stop watching them no matter what. Am the same way with my eagles. And the folks who watch the falcons, are they same way too. Torn up with a loss, and rejoicing with new hatches and fledges... This is the only black bear educating force out there, and I cannot turn my eyes away from looking at them.

I am hoping also, that with their intervention of a veternarian reaching out to help the bear they thought was Oliana, that NABC/WRI will consider how us non-biologists love these bears, and are concerned for them, and consider some of our ideas as to how to help them best also.

Thanks BCAW for letting me post my thoughts.

:girlyes:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:26 pm 

I love to read your posts LeeLee you show raw emotions & that is great thank you for the heads up on hunting season
I don't know anyone that hunts & if I didI think I would go postal on them if they used lead well if they didn't clean their mess up anyway

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:50 pm 

Beautifully written LeeLee.

I share many of your same emotions.

Thank you.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:48 pm 

:sigh The first day of bear season in Ely, MN a male bear was shot and wounded, and the hunters tracked him and then killed him. They have agreed this year to give the canine tooth to NABC for identification purposes in all shot bears. It was "Little Harry", a bear that no one had any interactions with due to his shyness of people. Hence, much is not known about him.

Some more sad news today: Sharon's mate of choice this year, the male Bill, a 2 yr old, was shot and killed yesterday. His canine was given for id purposes. How sad, because this year more info has been available to read on the updates about the males mating with the females. We learned that not only did Sharon mate with him in June, but returned and searched her out in August for many playdates. Bill was RC's offspring, from a litter of 3 males I believe. The female Jo, shot and killed in May of this year, was his older sister from another litter.

Though the males are not collared, understandably, one can only wonder what more info Bill could have shown us about mates. Since we learned of more males, it also stings - we kinda knew him. Am hoping that June's male of choice Big Harry stays safe. He is another male we read alot about this season, and is goofy looking and just adorable.

What amazes me is that if you look closely at them for long enough, over time you can actually tell them apart. I was amazed when I could tell apart all of Molly n McGee's clutch of owlets. Same with these bears, if you look long enough, and watch their movements, and find any colorations or markings, or just even their eyes, you can tell an individual. I never thought that was possible!!

"Fingers crossed" for the remaining male bears in the area, as well as our collared/ribbons research bears, and those females not collared this year, to stay safe.

RIP dear Bill :sorrow: :girlluv:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:54 pm 

Sorry to hear this but unfortunatly this is going to happen alot and now that the males are out and about it is really going to be a sad season
RIP Little Harry & Bill :girlsad3:

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 346 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next