Bird Cams Around the World

Peregrine Falcons, Eagles, Kestrels, Ospreys, Owls and Much, Much More!!!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:34 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 253 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: Captiva Florida 2020 ~ 2021
PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 6:59 am 

Thanks for letting us know. It does sound like poison is a definite possibility. But if the parents have started “the circle of life” we may never know.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 6:11 pm 

:15heartbeat: From AEF:

"After consultation with the appropriate agencies, we have received approval to retrieve the deceased eaglet from the Captiva nest for a necropsy. Due to the widespread impact of the COVID-19 pandemic, results of the necropsy may take longer than usual. Once confirmed, results will be shared with the viewing public. To maintain the integrity of the educational purpose of wildlife cam programs, the stream will remain live during the process of retrieval. Viewer discretion is advised."

The retrieval has already happened and here are 2 screen captures by Gracie Shepard:

2021 Copyright American Eagle Foundation EAGLES.ORG

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 6:30 pm 

Thanks for bringing this here. Like others, I would like to know what happened.

I don't think anything will be done at the two nests in Texas.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:22 pm 

:15heartbeat: AEF is taking a very hard, hit on the death of Hope. Some observers feel their concerns and observations were not taken seriously even as far back as with Peace. Many have commented on how they feel she suffered in her final hours. Some are saying they will no longer make donations. Some of the symptoms that observers felt Hope experienced were first reported to AEF on the 16th I believe. I know I tried to find a response from AEF on Hope's situation by visiting at least 3 different places they post to on this nest her last evening, but could never find any. Here are a couple responses after Hope's death to observers from Connor ADMIN AEF:

Connor_Aef 18 hours ago
Peace and then Hope's passing really hit us hard and we so wish we could do more. We are going to make a video about the detail, complexity, logistics, and time it takes to facilitate a rescue. We have to follow all laws and regulations set forth by congress and USFWS. If we don't we might not be able to continue our mission. We are going to try and find out the cause of death, and if this is a poisonings, we will do more to curb this. Not only on Captiva Island, but all over. If this is happening in one nest, I can't image what other nests are having to deal with. I understand your frustration. I hope you and everyone else here can help us educate our neighbors, HOA's, friends, family, etc. on the dangers of rodenticides, lead, and fishline. I hope this helped. We will provide more official details tomorrow.

Connor_Aef 10 hours ago
We did have a vet take a look at the footage and observe the eaglet on the 20th and on. They could not find substantial evidence to bring to USFWS for an intervention. The evidence we could bring is the bleeding, but by then it was too late... Rescues in the past took 1-3 days to get permission. Since then we have been building our relationship with USFWS. Now it only takes about a day or so to get permission. So we have seen improvement and we will continue to work on that relationship. We would love a quick reaction policy and maybe that is something that can happen in the future. To give some more context on the logistics of the rescue, we need a specialized 70ft or more lift delivered to do a rescue. The usual power company lifts that are on the island are about 40ft. Thankfully there is a 100ft truck stationed a few hours outside of Captiva island. We were lucky last time that they were close by. I've actually looked into purchasing a lift to have on standby at the location. It is about $10,000-$25,000+ for a used 80 foot lift. Which that is not something we can do financially. We also can't climb the tree, as there are no safe tie in points, so that also makes it more difficult and costly to do a rescue.
If this is confirmed rodenticides and correct me if I'm wrong, this would be the second time we've seen it on an eagle live cam. We can use this to learn from and catch things much earlier. We want to fix this problem on a large scale. I know AEF has talked about it a decent amount before, but we do need to do more. We can first start by talking to everyone on the islands. We can share Hope's story and tell it in a way that enacts change. It is a tragedy and we don't want to see it again.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:14 am 

thank you for sharing this info.

I find it distressing that watchers are judging without knowing the full scope of what it takes to intervene. I hope everyone takes a deep breath and remembers all the good AEF has done over the years to further the survival of eagles. I try to see the good and not the bad in all situations

As a volunteer for a bird rehab, I know that sometimes rescue does not come instantaneously. I sometimes have to drive miles since rehabbers are in short supply. In fact, I once drove from Indiana to Tennessee to deliver one of their wayward 1st year juveniles back to them after it was found unable to fly. I was honored to be part of the rescue and transport. The couple I help are now in their 80s and due to health challenges are not able to go out themselves often times. I fear we have become so impatient with our instant access to almost everything. I am guilty myself on impatience and find myself needing to put on the brakes!

I am heartbroken that these eaglets met untimely deaths, but I will await AEF's appraisal of the situation and know they tried their best.

And I think I will make a donation and invite others to do the same, both to AEF and CROW
AEF: https://www.eagles.org/become-a-member/)
CROW: http://www.crowclinic.org/donate/donate-today

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 7:35 pm 

just to ad to what you said Gigi.
I know at the sites I monitor , we are lucky to have the head person as our contact, right there, where we live. So we know we can get quick interventions , because it is him who approves them. WE just let him know when we think there is a problem and if accessible, there is an intervention. And we have to travel miles sometimes to help retrieve, and take falcon young for check ups etc. In a few years, if he retires, we will not be so lucky.

So I know, when I first starting watching some of these cams , I would frustrated, till I realized , all the red tape they have to go through. They cannot just go up at will, just because something is not right.
they have so much red tape to go through. so much that we cannot even comprehend.

so I too will continue to donate to Crow. I may live in Canada but I appreciate all these rescues and try to give a bit back , for all they do. . I am thankful for all the organizations and that includes AEF.
We will await their findings and I know they will do their best to try and ensure this does not happen again. but this is on man, not nature.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:07 am 

:15heartbeat: CROW confirms Hope had a broken blood feather with excessive blood loss and suspect rodenticide poisoning may be a contributing factor. Will be a month possibly before final necropsy results. Warning: full view of Hope's body in this report by WINK TV. (E14 and Peace are also mentioned in this report.)

:15heartbeat:

Edit to add this as a possible reference source for future use:

Cornell Wildlife Health Lab on Rodenticide Toxicity

Edit to add:

From CROW FB:

CROW - Clinic for the Rehabilitation of Wildlife, Inc.
9 hrs ·
Update on Hope’s passing at the Captiva Nest:
Yesterday afternoon, a CROW staff member removed the remains of Hope from the nest and brought them to the #CROWClinic. A brief examination and radiographs were performed by our veterinary team. Although we do not have definitive answers yet, we would like to share our findings and some observations from our wildlife rehabilitator, Katie M., during the removal process:
- A broken blood feather was found on Hope’s right wing primary feathers. No other signs of trauma were found. Katie did observe a large amount of blood in the nest. A piece of the broken blood feather was retrieved from the nest by Katie and included with the remains. This was the item she was seen grabbing from the nest just before the lift descended.
- No fishing line was observed by Katie in the nest or on Hope's remains. As the remains were removed, a lot of nesting material came with it and what gave the appearance of line on camera was actually a long, vine-like piece of natural nesting material.
- Hope weighed 2.75 kilograms or about 6 pounds. We do not know if Hope was male or female.
The remains were packaged and sent to the Southeastern Cooperative for Wildlife Disease Study (SCWDS) at the University of Georgia, for a full necropsy including testing for rodenticides. While this situation appears similar to what happened at the Southwest Florida Eagle Cam last year and we suspect rodenticide poisoning may again be the culprit, we will not have definitive answers until we receive the results of the necropsy. We will share the results once they are received.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:26 am 

Thanks! I await the full report.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 1:48 am 

I added a couple items to my post above. Now my question is this: If Hope does have the rodenticide toxicity ... did it cause balance issues and possibly when she would throw a wing out to catch herself (saw her do this several times in the last few days) she eventually broke a blood feather or is the toxicity capable of quickly weakening the shaft of blood feathers making them more prone to breakage? The reason I wonder about this is E14 had a broken blood feather and bled out with confirmed rodenticide toxicity. We'll never know for sure about Peace, but find it odd that at least 2 of the 3 deaths were from the broken blood feathers and both bled out and possibly both had rodenticide toxicity. Of course the broken blood feather would only be able to affect eaglets within this age group.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 2:14 am 

:15heartbeat: Nest activity at least this morning by Connie and Joe. Each brought in a stick and Joe also did some adjustments. He brought a fish in and left with it, but came back later with the fish and Connie came in and ate.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:30 am 

Necropsy results in on Hope from CROW:

Clinic for the Rehabilitation of Wildlife, Inc.
Favorites · 50 mins ·
CAPTIVA EAGLET NECROPSY RESULTS: The liver tissue of Hope from the American Eagle Foundation Captiva Eagle Cam nest, a female eaglet, was found to contain markedly increased levels of brodifacoum as well as traces of difenacoum, both are second generation anticoagulant rodenticide or rat poison. While we have answers for Hope’s death, a necropsy was unable to be performed on the younger eaglet, Peace, and the cause of its death remains unknown.
Anticoagulant rodenticides, or rat poisons, prevent the blood from clotting normally and cause an animal that has ingested a toxic amount to bleed to death. Rodents that ingest the poison often become disoriented or lethargic as they are dying and become easy prey for eagles, hawks, owls and other predators, passing the poison through the food chain. Sadly, it is not uncommon for apparently healthy raptors to test positive for low levels of rodenticides, which have not yet reached the point of causing toxicity and illness. The adults in the nest likely have chronic exposure to rodenticides from the same food sources but are not currently suffering any ill effects due to their larger body size compared to the affected baby.
For downloadable content to share with your friends, in your neighborhood, or classroom, please visit:
https://www.raptorsarethesolution.org/free-outreach.../

Hope

:15heartbeat: Joe has been replaced by "Martin" from property owner Lori:

"Well...I guess it’s official. First Connie arrives at the nest...followed by her new young male partner. After an agonizing few weeks of praying for Joe’s return...I now feel ready to accept this new male in her life. Initially, I named our resident pair Connie and Joe, after my parents (Connie and Joe Peller). My parents had an extraordinary marriage (61 years) and a wonderful life together. Even though they passed in 2013 and 2016...there is not a day goes by that I don’t think of them both. They introduced us to the beautiful island of Captiva ...and it has become our home away from home! I struggled with what to name the male...as the only name that goes perfectly with Connie is Joe. But it turns out...there is one other...Martin. Martin was my Mom’s maiden name. So everyone...meet Martin...Connie’s new partner in life. They have been spending many early mornings and lazy late afternoon hours ...relaxing in the nest together. They seem very content and and relaxed. I pray that the drama for this nest has passed and the next season will be one of joy and peace!"

Screen captures by Rollin' Rog:

"Martin" resting on nest.

"Martin" coming in for landing.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:53 am 
Global Moderator

Thanks for the update Swinwk, I have been to Captiva several times, lovely place to visit!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 4:43 pm 

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 10:27 am 

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 12:58 pm 

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:29 am 

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:08 am 

:harvest: When I check in, I never catch anyone home, although they have been here working per chat. Also read on chat, the site owner has named Connie's new mate "Clive". It's very windy here tonight!

Post subject: Re: Captiva Florida 2020 ~ 2022
PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 5:24 am 

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:30 am 

SWINWK wrote:
:harvest: When I check in, I never catch anyone home, although they have been here working per chat. Also read on chat, the site owner has named Connie's new mate "Clive". It's very windy here tonight!
. Thanks SWINWK. I updated info! :flirty:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 11:29 am 

Clive delivered a fish gift to Connie 9:26:19am

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 253 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 13  Next