Bird Cams Around the World

Peregrine Falcons, Eagles, Kestrels, Ospreys, Owls and Much, Much More!!!
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:24 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 253 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: Captiva Florida 2020 ~ 2021
PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 2:24 pm 

thanks Gigi.

hope for a great remainder of season.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 12:03 pm 

Has Hope problems standing on his left leg?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:37 pm 

:1snowmancarrot:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 5:40 pm 

:15heartbeat: Ferenz, Hope does seem to be having problems with possibly both legs. The number one thing I notice is the constant slight swaying motion of her body when she is standing. Sometimes when she walks it is only for short distances and then she plops down or crouches. I saw her once use both wings to assist to stand and a couple times saw her throw out a wing to maintain balance. Sometimes the start of an activity such as preening seems to throw her off balance and she aborts the attempt and sometimes not. It's difficult to see what her legs are doing with the cam set above and looking downward. Will try to dig for information in a few minutes.

After digging for info it becomes as clear as mud. Without viewing daily or daily documentation here of Hope it is difficult to discern. Some think she just started walking this week and she has not developed complete strength in those muscles as yet. Some say she has developed a tremor in her legs and are fearful this may be from rat poisoning, others think the tremor is d/t newly used and developing muscles in her legs. Lady Hawk has 2 videos below of yesterday and the night before that of what seems to be a resting tremor at intervals. She was concerned enough that she decided to send the videos to CROW for review. Said she would post if she heard anything back. I was unable to find any official documentation from Conner or AEF on the matter. Joe did consume a part of Peace yesterday and then took the remains off the nest.

1/19/21

1/20/21

The HDonTap site does have a side view of nest, but the sun has set now. No DVR. They have time lapse video of the days before today, but I either get COD or it is in fast motion.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:48 pm 

Thanks SWINWK. I hope nothing serious.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:02 pm 

:girlcrazy:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:24 am 

gigi wrote:
Thanks SWINWK. I hope nothing serious.

:1val: Me too, gigi! She doesn't seem to have a lot of room to maneuver on the nest with it's setup, especially when fish and parents are there. I would think AEF would say something if they had concerns.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:37 am 

Captiva Bald Eagles Sanibel Islands, FL: Hope stands up well on their feet stretchching wings

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:38 pm 

thanks Ferenz. I did not see a problem yesterday, when I watched during day, but I am not an expert. not much room for it to walk around . so hope all stays well . :6snowflake:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 4:20 am 

:1val: Watched Hope and her parents off and on throughout the day. Saw some slight swaying and her throwing out a wing to catch herself, although thought the wing throwing was less so today. Also, it seemed she could change positions to preen, etc today without losing her balance as much. She still did not walk far before she plopped down. She seems to have only that one narrow strip to walk on between the 2 branches that shoot up and where the railing is and she sticks to that area. She ate okay (fed 3 x's today between Connie and Joe) and did her PS's without any problems. I did not watch for any leg tremors.

Captiva Island is immediately north (< 8 miles) of Sanibel Island. Marco Island is 40 miles southeast of Sanibel. Headlines from an AP/10 Tampa Bay article in December 2020:

ENVIRONMENT
Red tide found off Florida's southwest coast; birds sick
The bloom stretches from Sanibel Island to Marco Island.

And here is what the "expert" said when she responded to the videos sent to her on Hope's tremors:

Hello everyone! I did here back from CROW and specifically Dr Barron. She reviewed two videos & is concerned about the tremors in Hope as well. She said it may be due to being cold, being in pain or some type of sickness including toxins. She said she found these tremors odd (not normal) and to be observant for other types of changes in Hope's behavior. As one of the leading experts at CROW I trust her response. We will continue to watch, document and observe Hope. Hope seems well and is eating, is alert and becoming more active!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:23 am 

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:36 am 

That's a BIG fish! :biggrin:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 4:27 am 

:15heartbeat: Hope's day seemed to be going as it did yesterday. Still swaying a little, wing throwing to catch balance, but still not as much as the one day. She ate well (4 or 5 meals from parents) and several PS's today. Then late this afternoon there was concern from some that she was bleeding and thought they could see it on her right wing, leg and foot. I never saw any active bleeding. There have been several fish brought in today. She does have some discoloration on her foot and leg. Also, saw some on a piece of bark on the floor after she sat on it, but don't know if it's from her bleeding or just transfer from all the meals here today. The other thing is she has had very strange movements late tonight. Some have thought trying to get up a pellet but unable to, vomiting, trying to attack a snake on the nest floor, convulsions, etc. It's been all over the place, but check out her behavior at about 1:00 am. It started a few minutes before and lasted a little after 1:00, but she was not lethargic afterwards. There has been more than one episode of this. She does seem to act as if she is trying to get something out of her mouth or beak. At some point she walked on the nest and was able to do a PS after this and seemed to be fine. Here is a video by Lady Hawk of the blood. I think Hope had eaten just prior to this. She was concerned enough that she notified Al Cecere, AEF, CROW. Read the summary below the video.

:15heartbeat: A parent has come onto the nest with her in the last few minutes. Hope appears to be resting now.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 8:21 am 

Seems that poor little one has passed away...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 9:22 am 

Oh no. With blood present I would suspect rodenticide poisoning.
Sadly, eagle calendar updated. :sorrow:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:17 am 

:sorrow:Hope! Parent delivered a fish over half an hour ago. Has moved the body 2-3 times.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:33 am 

i think parent is as shocked as i am .
She walked well yesterday and ate well. I almost did a video of her walking, but...

it is too bad they do not go up and retrieve immediately to find out. this is a problem that will continue , if laws not put in place.
I am also afraid to watch any nest anymore.

humans have become a big problem for our nature friends.

just too sad for any words really

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 4:46 pm 

:15heartbeat: From AEF FB:

"We are confirming that Hope, the remaining eaglet in the Captiva nest has been lost. Again, it is important to note that these are wild nests that provide us all a privileged glimpse into the natural lives of these majestic creatures. Nature, while beautiful, can also be brutal in its course.
Our cam operators may refocus views on some cams throughout the next few days to provide a comfortable viewing experience however, please note that some cams are fixed. Viewer discretion is advised."

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 6:33 pm 

:sorrow:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:29 am 

:15heartbeat: I have not continued to follow the cams here since early morning, but have read that one of the parents started the "Circle of Life" this afternoon. Have no idea how much remains. Excerpt from owner Lori's message on instagram today:

"In light of the evidence of rat poison [@aefeagles] is currently trying to obtain a permit from the U.S. Department of Fish and Wildlife ...to remove Hope’s body so that an autopsy can be done."

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 253 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 13  Next