Bird Cams Around the World

Peregrine Falcons, Eagles, Kestrels, Ospreys, Owls and Much, Much More!!!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:03 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 538 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 27  Next
 Post subject: Re: Berry College 2022 -2023
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 2:51 am 

:flirty: Another great day for the Berry's! I think Pa and Mom were enjoying the weather with lots of activity around the nest today. I know Pa brought in another fish and a coot. B16 had plenty to eat today. Fluff and a stick also brought in. At around 6 pm I saw B16 lying in what looked like a little nest cup at the front of the nest while Mom was lying in the real one and could see a portion of the egg which had been covered earlier with a lot of fluff. The DVR didn't go back far enough to see how or why B ended up there, but directly B got up and got back under Mom. Mom is currently sleeping with her head tucked.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 3:27 am 

:flirty: B16 started the day with Pa serving breakfast as he frequently does with his early morning visits to the nest. Mom stood nest side for quite awhile this afternoon with B remaining in the egg cup, It's getting a little crowded in there with the remaining egg. When Pa came in later he seemed to be quite hungry and kept digging up something to eat, but then Mom would reach over and take it away from him. It happened several times and he only ended up with a few bites before giving up and flying off. Meantime she was eating and sometimes feeding B16. I can not tell you how many pieces of pelt I saw her gulp down today, but there were several. Mom is currently on the nest with B.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 2:46 am 

:flirty: Today was the 1st time I caught B16 coming out of the bowl to be fed while Pa was there, she does it with Mom frequently, but not Pa. He fed B16, then when done he went to the bowl and incubated the egg while B16 remained outside the bowl, but beside him. Somehow I knew it would not go as smoothly, but B16 was fine. Mom has started remaining off the bowl some throughout the day while B16 is in it, but stands on the nest nearby. Mom did fly out early this morning and B16 was alone in the nest for 23 minutes till Mom returned. Pa did bring in another fish today and Mom gulped down more pelt. Mom is over the bowl currently that has moved some to the left now.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2023 1:27 am 

:flirty: Mom fed B16 breakfast this morning before Pa arrived to do so. But what a morning Pa had bringing in the grocery deliveries of 1 muskrat and 3 squirrels I believe!! They have feasted all day. B16 spent more time out of the bowl again. Pa and Mom had a busy early evening alerting and spent their time chasing off an intruder several times and both were leaving the nest together to do so before darkness fell. I saw it for a split second from the app and it was a large bird that I believe to be an eagle, but could not see any white and was unable to view it's whole body. So it was either the angle causing me to not see any white or it was an immature. Mom is currently crouched at the bowl's edge with B16 in front of her.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2023 2:32 am 

:flirty: Loving the weather here, another beautiful day. An intruder was in the area again this morning, but not the flyoffs and drama we saw yesterday. Both only saw the need to alert and they remained on the nest. B16 was once again well fed and continues to spend some time out of the bowl. Pa and Mom either have to stand by B or crouch beside as there is not enough room in the bowl and with B's size now. The egg seems to have been covered with fluff as I don't recall catching a glimpse of it today. I did not try from cam 2. B16 is lying on the nest to the left of the bowl and Mom is on the left rails near the base of the left branch for now.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2023 5:53 am 

:flirty: An overcast day with windy conditions. Mom flew off this morning and B16 was alone on the nest for a short while before her return. Topside the food supply is dwindling, but still some covered by fluff that Mom dug up to feed. Pa looked fine, but he did not interact with B16 as he usually does with his feedings and crouching next to B when he came in for nest exchanges. He stood well off to the side waiting for Mom's returns.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2023 8:11 pm 

Will try and post a few photos here this weekend

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2023 2:31 am 

:loveheart: Pa and Mom are doing great with feeds and it shows. B16 can finish a feed and 10 minutes later the other parent comes in and whoever is there leaves and the oncoming parent starts another feed and B16 seems to always be ready for more. Earlier today it tried to stand and it's crop was so full it fell forward, but quickly righted itself. I saw it gulp a big piece of pelt for it's size for the 1st time today. Someone said it also expelled 2 pellets today for the 1st time. Since Friday another muskrat, squirrels and fish have been brought in. They continue to keep an eye on intruders in the area and alert to, but no commotion or such on the nest tree.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2023 5:34 pm 

have been trying to get time to post a few pictures. Wee is not so small .
Missy , as they call the female, has a dark spot in middle of forehead. has had it for a bit

raining a bit today
getting a bite

Missy being a mombrella
a bit of wings

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2023 1:17 am 

Mom Thwarts Possible Owl Attack!

:taz: Mom has been upset with Rocky this evening as he was out and about the tree a lot. She and B16 were at the rear of the nest still following up on Rocky's last visit when at 10:13 Mom caught sight of something and threw her wings out and alerted and turned toward the left and and almost did a complete turnaround, but she stopped facing toward the right nest. B16 flattened on the nest immediately to Mom's alerts. It became obvious this was not Rocky she was tracking this time but a flying object and most likely an owl that must have passed from the rear along the left nest and around to the front and across the front of the nest, although it could not be seen on cam. The app cam is down and could not be checked. She continued to alert at intervals and eventually Pa's responses could be heard in the distance. She was on high alert when at 10:15 again she tracked something flying out from the nest and it passed from right to left in front of it, although still could not be seen on cam. More high alerts and at some point Pa's vocals became closer as if he were on the nest tree, but out of sight. Mom remained in high alert mode and at 10:20 Pa flew onto the left rear, branch. They continued to alert at intervals and eventually Mom went to the left branch to keep watch. It took awhile but they settled and eventually Mom came down to the nest and nearer to B16. Currently at 12:05 Pa remains on the rear branch and Mom is crouched on the nest near B16. I do believe Mom thwarted a possible owl attack tonight!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2023 1:31 am 

:flirty: It's raining, so no "possible owls" tonight. B16 was chirping and chirping non stop earlier this evening, but after Mom provided some shelter from the rain with her wings, B hushed immediately! Pa was here after dark on the rear branch for quite awhile, but he left and I missed it d/t the reset. When he flew out for the night at about dusk, something seemed to catch his attention causing him to immediately circle back and that is why he was on the rear branch in the 1st place. They had lots of food available with both Mom and Pa bringing in a fish and Pa brought in at least 2 squirrels and a portion of an unknown. Saw B gulp down what looked to be a piece of pelt today and of course Mom did some pelt also. It continues to rain and Mom is still sheltering B.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2023 2:14 am 

:flirty: There are always a whole lot of feeds here. But late today both Pa and Mom were digging for scraps and gleaning for bits to give B16. But finding little. I'm sure Pa will start bringing more prey in tomorrow morning. B16 is starting to become more active and was a lot of fun to watch today. Once when Mom flew in to the left branch, B16 threw it's wings out at her. Another time when she slung fluff toward B16's way, B pecked her! I think this one has a lot of attitude and will keep everyone entertained this season. B is starting to stand more and is sleeping with it's head tucked now just like Mom. And B16 can really pack the food away. Someone said today it's like having a teenager in the house with the way it eats. Mom and B16 are currently on the nest and sleeping with their heads tucked.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2023 3:21 am 

:loveheart2: Pa did bring in a coot and an unidentified prey today. So B16 had plenty to eat and Pa and Mom had a few bites too. Tonight B is back to sleeping sprawled out and Mom is asleep standing with her head tucked. The app cam came back up today.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2023 5:43 am 

:flirty: Pa brought several more prey in today and especially of note a very large rabbit that is providing multiple meals for his family. Mom also contributed today to their stash. Unfortunately they did have a disturbance twice by an eagle intruder who did flyovers and flew in front of the nest as seen per the app. Pa could be seen from that cam chasing it. Later probably the same one was back and both Mom and Pa flew out, but were back quickly. The intruder was seen per app that time too. I saw Mom gulp 4 pelts down today. Three were back to back.

Went in to check on what Mom and B were doing before I closed and came upon the following that I posted on live as the events unfolded:

2:54 am Mom who had been on the LB facing the nest turned abruptly and flew out.

She returned to the nest at 2:54 alerting and looking outward from the left nest. Pa did not respond to her alerts.

I believe she was giving chase.

I can hear Pa in the distance responding to her vocals at 2:55.

2:57 Mom to LB.

And is looking.

2:59 Pa is calling out from distance. Mom does not respond.

3:05 Pa arrives to the nest and Mom remains on LB and is vocal.

3:08 Pa's been walking around aerating the floor.

3:08 Mom turns to face nest from left branch.

3:09 Pa is working on his wonky stick.

3:10 Mom heard or saw something and abruptly turns around to face outward from the nest. She is looking intently about and flew suddenly at 3:11.

3:13 I soon hear some vocals from her in the distance.

3:13 Pa remains on the nest.

3:14 Pa is looking intently out the front of the nest. I have not checked the app cam as I am afraid will miss something here.

B16 is awake and stood briefly a bit ago, laid down and back up again at 3:15. A PS, maybe B will lie down again shortly.

Mom flew behind the nest tree and landed in a tree I believe and could hear her vocals now so much closer at around 3:17.

3:21 Pa is standing on the nest and facing toward the left. B16 did lie down again at some point and remains so.

3:27 B sitting up and Pa has been looking toward the rear and the left.

3:31 B's preening. Pa messing in prey pile.

3:32 Pa nibbling on rabbit.

3:32 And is de-furring.

3:35 Another PS from B.

Pa is still de-furring at 3:39.

3:40 Pa is eating..

3:45 Pa was thinking about feeding B, but I hope he doesn't.

3:46 Pa looking around.

3:50 Pa to front nest near B.

3:51 Standing by B.

3:57 I went back and checked by stopping the action at 3:17 and that was Mom that flew up to a tree behind the nest tree.

4:00 Going out to check app cam at the times Mom flew out earlier.

4:09 I did not see anything on the app at either one of her flyouts.

4:42 am Pa remains on the nest with B as I leave.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2023 1:18 am 

:flirty: In addition to Pa being on the nest with B during the night as above, today he also spent a lot of time there while Mom took breaks. He brought in more prey. They had someone flying over during the day too from Mom's reaction once that I saw. And lots of feeds for B!! Mom and B are currently on the nest.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2023 7:27 pm 

a few shots. light was bright so I will try tomorrow , if time to take some better ones
growing so fast

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2023 2:32 am 

:flirty: B16 is still getting several meals per day and seldom passes any up. Pa continues to bring in most of the prey and over the last several days he has brought in squirrels, fish, rabbit, coot, unknown and 1 wood duck. Mom has brought in a couple of fish. Just a few days ago when Mom was working on the duck, unfortunately an egg rolled out. She stared at it a bit and eventually she did eat the contents. On occasion Mom has startled B on her arrival to the nest and B takes a defensive posture and snaps on her. B16 has started grabbing their feet sometimes when they arrive to the nest. B has also grabbed fish away from Pa on his arrival at times. B16 backs up to take a PS and occasionally makes it's way to where a parent is on the nest with food, but really doesn't walk about the nest. B is standing more and at times is sleeping with it's head tucked. Mom is currently on the left branch and B is asleep with it's head tucked.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2023 2:26 pm 

Pa Berry, Mom, B16 are all okay following yesterday's storm!

:girlsad3: All cams are down since 2:48 pm on 3/3/22 at Berry d/t a severe storm. Many trees are down, but the nest tree, their perch tree and the pole with the app cam are still standing. The old app cam tree is down as are trees near the nest and their perch tree. It is my understanding that Pa, Mom and B16 have been seen this morning and all are well! Berry got their power back last night. The following is from a ground photographer BEP who has been photographing them since the beginning: "Not sure when cam be up. They are trying to figure out where power comes from . If it looped thru approach tree like it used to it may be a problem."

I too went through a severe storm yesterday in my area and had been without power for 21.5 hours till a bit ago. Will be back in awhile with more info as I get it.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2023 7:29 pm 
Global Moderator

Wow thanks Swinwk for the Berry news, we had a terrible storm also. Glad you got the power back.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2023 8:09 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks Swinwk..

Yep...we had horrible storms here yesterday....today? Ya never would have guessed it...beautiful blue skies and calm winds....but yesterday? YIKES!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 538 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 27  Next