Bird Cams Around the World

Peregrine Falcons, Eagles, Kestrels, Ospreys, Owls and Much, Much More!!!
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:17 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 424 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 22  Next
 Post subject: Re: Southwest Florida Ft. Myers: November 2022~ October 2023
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 7:57 pm 

I have been watching regularly. They want us to keep positive thoughts nest way.

:15heartbeat: :15heartbeat: :15heartbeat: :15heartbeat: :15heartbeat: :15heartbeat:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:28 pm 

:15heartbeat: Have monitored the chat for over 20 minutes now and there are not any new updates. They are basically doing PR and crowd control as everyone is so concerned for Harriet. It did make their local news and I will try to bring that here later if I can.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 10:42 pm 

I wonder if there is an intruder in the area and she is defending the territory, but away from the nest. She was very much alarm calling with vocals and looking skyward the afternoon of 2/2 starting at 235 PM. She flew off three hrs later. She will probably try to keep any territorial skirmish away from the nest area. Praying for her safe return.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 1:30 am 

:15heartbeat: Videos by LadyHawk:

"SWFL Eagles ~ Where Is Harriet? She Flew Off & Did Not Return! M15 Flies Off At Night 3 Times 2.2.23"

"SWFL Eagles ~ AMAZING M15 DEFENDS & PROTECTS E's FROM INTRUDER! Chases Off Nest Tree 3 Times! 2.3.23"

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 1:45 am 

:15heartbeat: It's very cloudy and windy here. After almost 5 hours on the attic, M15 went down to the nest at about 00:25 to check on the E's and now has his head tucked and sleeping. Checked to see if anything such as GHO's could be seen on cam 3 or anything that might prompt him to go down, but did not see anything. There may be an approaching storm or he just wanted to check and stay with them. I did learn from the portion of the chat I viewed earlier that the GHO's that are using their other nest do have at least 2 owlets as reported per ground observers here.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 2:35 am 

:15heartbeat: Earlier I mentioned it was in the local news per chat, but it was actually channel 10 Tampa Bay News that reported on Harriet:

"Beloved eagle Harriet missing from nest since Thursday"

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 2:40 am 

Nadia wrote:
I wonder if there is an intruder in the area and she is defending the territory, but away from the nest. She was very much alarm calling with vocals and looking skyward the afternoon of 2/2 starting at 235 PM. She flew off three hrs later. She will probably try to keep any territorial skirmish away from the nest area. Praying for her safe return.

I noticed the same thing for a few days, Nadia. the youngsters looked where she watched., but yesterday, she , s we know , did not return. Same thing crossed my mind. . the ones in the know here said a few years ago she was gone for 2 days, and then returned. So I will remain positive.
I have watched this with peregrines at my sites, when there is an intruder.

talons crossed.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 2:52 am 

:15heartbeat: After finding the above, I decided to see if I could find a news report close to home and I am so glad I did as I saw and heard more from this report of the "goings on" at the nest today than I did from the moderated chat or anywhere else today. From Wink News:

Wink news reported seeing 3 other eagles in the area today and M15 was "locking talons"!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 1:29 am 

:15heartbeat: The E's are asleep on the nest and M15 is currently on the attic. Earlier today I saw E22 working on the techniques needed to overcome the older sibling preventing you from getting adequate bites by attempting to self feed and the super quick reach in and grab and turn back away before you can be bonked methods. M15 was able to secure some food for them today. And I don't think any intruders were seen on the cams.

News-Press interviewed Ginnie.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 8:57 am 

I saw a picture of Harriet with a fishing line. Not sure who posted... I hope she is found and helped.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 12:23 pm 

gigi wrote:
I saw a picture of Harriet with a fishing line. Not sure who posted... I hope she is found and helped.

They have been out looking but 5-6 hours after the fishing line, she appeared ok.
Keeping positive . The mods here are so great, keeping things calm

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 12:37 pm 

I have followed this nest for quite a few years. I also read the Facebook posts. I too am most concerned about Harriet. To Gigi and anyone else reading, I also saw the picture of what was called a fishing line at first. She was expelling a pellet and also coughed up some mucous like stuff. It appears there was no fishing line at all, for later pictures showed nothing. Yesterday locals were out searching for her, and are doing the same today. I'm sure that is most difficult. I often read their chat sessions when they have one, and applaud the moderators for doing their best to calm everyone's anxiety. There is usually a chat session on Sunday afternoons around 2:00 Eastern time. I do not know if there will be one today. There is a wonderful rehab facility in the area called CROW - Clinic for the Rehabilitation of Wildlife. They have not admitted any injured eagles for the past few days. I don't know what is going to happen at this nest, and certainly will not speculate. It has been suggested to NOT call CROW unless a downed eagle has been found. Don't know how M15 can do this alone. It is hard to watch the cameras with E21 being so aggressive to E22.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 1:45 pm 

:15heartbeat: At about 8:22 am saw M15 feeding E21 while E22 was in a submissive position. Could not see what it was, but did see fresh looking blood. A bit after the feed to E 21, E22 was about trying to glean any bits it could find clinging to the fluff, but didn't look to be getting much of anything. E22 also picked up a well dried up piece of prey remains and put it back down as nothing to glean from it.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 2:11 pm 

M15 brought in a whole fish a bit ago and fed some of it to E21. Did not see E22 make an attempt at being fed, but I didn't see the beginning of this. M flew up to a perch in the tree, and I believe took off after a Turkey Vulture that was on the ground, as shown by the camera. The fish is still in the nest.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 3:47 pm 

:15heartbeat: The cam op at SWFL keeps focusing in on an area near the church in the pasture that may be remains. At 1st I did not understand, but in later views I can see why they are looking so intently. The coloring is faint, but possibly meets correct position markers.

Edit to add: TS is 13:31:59.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 6:28 pm 

:15heartbeat: Intruder just before 16:50 I believe. M15 doesn't have a full voice, but was alerting and went down to the nest. Everything is okay. E22 got a wonderful feed earlier. M15 brought in another fish and when 21 was full and turned away, 22 was able to make it's way over and got the feed of a lifetime! E22 even took the tail and swallowed, so M15 went to the other fish remains and fed that to 22 also! Poor M15... E22 was so eager to feed and grabbed M15's lower beak twice during the feed of the last fish portions! M15 was unfazed and kept feeding.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 6:44 pm 

:15heartbeat: Apparently there has been quite a crowd in the area:

Feb 5, 9:18 AM
Essec09 (Admin): Morning. The property/camera owners (Pritchetts) and our extended family are all concerned for Harriet; who has not been seen on camera since Thursday afternoon. When she left the camera view (ENE) she had been vocalizing at intruders in the area. Both the Clinic for the Rehabilitation of Wildlife (CROW) and FWC are aware of the situation.
Essec09 (Admin): All decisions concerning Bald Eagles are made by Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission (FWC), not by the camera owners. Viewers are reminded that we are merely observers and not all nesting seasons result in a positive outcome.
Essec09 (Admin): Not only are SWFEC followers keeping an eye out for Harriet; local news media picked up the story. It is hoped many in the area are also keeping an eye out for Harriet.
Essec09 (Admin): The Pritchetts have conducted a search on their property. This search did not result in any conclusions. The search on the property had to be conducted by the property owners. This is a working boarding facility and there are liability issues that must be adhered to.
Feb 5, 9:19 AM
Essec09 (Admin): There are a number of comments that have been posted on Facebook as to what should be done. These individuals apparently do not understand how some actions can be detrimental to wildlife. Laws are put in place because it is a slippery road when you say, “we can do this now because of this” - but later say “it is not okay because of this”. Laws can’t be effective if they are not interpreted the same way.
Feb 5, 9:19 AM
Essec09 (Admin): Any information as to the welfare of wildlife should come from the proper authorities. PLEASE DO NOT INCITE ILLEGAL ACTIONS.
Feb 5, 9:20 AM
Essec09 (Admin): Baiting or artificial feeding encourages bold behavior - birds often fight over access to food. By presenting food near the nest/road it encourages more wildlife to the area (not only birds, but small mammals). This is a recipe for disaster - especially in SWFEC’s location. Not only does it bring more predators, there is the risk of accidents involving motor vehicles and power lines.
Essec09 (Admin): Artificial feeding can also lead to eagles looking to humans as food providers. Not only that - some meat that is thrown out may not be safe. Where did the meat come from? Purchased meat can contain bacterial hazards, such as salmonella. Was it shot - with what? Was it found dead on the ground - how did it die?
Essec09 (Admin): There are a number of laws in place to protect eagles. And there is a good reason behind each law.
Essec09 (Admin): Disturbing means: “to agitate or bother a bald or golden eagle to a degree that causes, or is likely to cause, based on the best scientific information available, 1) injury to an eagle, 2) a decrease in its productivity, by substantially interfering with normal breeding, feeding, or sheltering behavior, or 3) nest abandonment, by substantially interfering with normal breeding, feeding, or sheltering behavior,” according to the act.
Essec09 (Admin): A violation of the act can result in a fine of $100,000 ($200,000 for organizations), imprisonment for one year, or both, for a first offense.
Essec09 (Admin): M15 has been protecting his young and has even managed to bring food to the nest. We all rejoice in that, but know it isn’t ideal. We have to remember, M15 is working things out in his head too. He isn’t used to not having a mate to care for the young. He is used to having his own time away from the nest - and it is amazing how he has quickly changed that behavior.
Feb 5, 9:21 AM
Essec09 (Admin): At this age, it is very difficult for one eagle to raise the young alone. It is not impossible however, as one male did raise his young to fledge when the female was lost. There was also a documented nest where another eagle took over nest duties when a mate was lost. These are not that common, but in nature you can never say never.
Essec09 (Admin): As is normal in their world, E21 (being the older) has become aggressive towards E22. As we have mentioned before, as long as food continues to be offered, sibling rivalry lessens. It is up to E22 to figure out how to get to the food. Just yesterday we saw E22 attempt to self-feed. Hunger is a good motivator and we hope E22 will be clever the next time food is offered. We sincerely hope both eaglets will survive these rough times.
Essec09 (Admin): Reminder - M15 needs to feel comfortable leaving the nest area in order to find food for himself and the eaglets. Having so many people set up near the nest may not be in the best interest of M15’s comfort zone.
Feb 5, 9:22 AM
Essec09 (Admin): Please be assured we all want the best outcome for this eagle family. But we need to remember the final outcome as to what will be done rests with the proper authorities.
Feb 5, 2:16 PM
Essec09 (Admin): Hello SWFEC family. At this time there is no new information to be shared. As soon as we have any update or information we will share it - regardless of the time. It has been decided not to open chat today, as we know there will be too many questions we are unable to provide the answers to. We do hope people will read the above information if they haven't already. Thank you for understanding. Please know we are all waiting for some information to share with our SWFEC family.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 8:49 pm 

for those concerned about some remains in the field. Some road kill was brought there to help out M15. He did chase a vulture away from it.there are enough posting here, and I will not surmise anything, so I will just watch and hope for a good outcome.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 9:04 pm 

just posting a few photos.

M15 keeping watch

E22 getting a good feed by himself( he is always watchful of E21 but E21 sleeping
nice full crop on E22

both sleeping with full crops.
may god watch over you :15heartbeat:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 6:54 pm 

Just after 5pm E22 got a great feed all by himself. E21 was full and not interested. As long as M15 can keep bringing in enough to stuff E21 then E22 can get a good feed. :15heartbeat:

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 424 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 22  Next