Bird Cams Around the World

Peregrine Falcons, Eagles, Kestrels, Ospreys, Owls and Much, Much More!!!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:09 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 393 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 20  Next
 Post subject: Re: MISC. GHO ~ 2013
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:25 pm 

Ms. Harvey
Ms. Harvey flew away. Something white under the leaves…

She returns, and…
Yes!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:45 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks for the great pics, rysx!!!

Mrs Harvey's return to the box and egg...interesting..I wonder if Mr. Harvey is just outta cam range..hmmmmm

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:06 pm 
Global Moderator

:snowflake2: Thanks for all the great GHO pics, videos and coverage.

Yay... a eggie for Ms. H. and Mr. H. :ohyes:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:16 pm 
:snowflake8: :snowflake8: :snowflake8: :snowflake8:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:29 pm 
Global Moderator

Sorry...I posted this in the wrong topic :girlcrazy: I'll go & delete...

Eaglecrest Wildlife 1-29-13

First the female visits and calls to her mate,

and then mating 2 hours later,

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:18 pm 
Site Admin

Ellis GHO cam is now live!!!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:33 pm 
REALLY great video's All! :snowflake8: Mick, I think you post is in the right place!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:56 pm 
That Face!! LOVE IT! :loveheart2:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:02 pm 
Iris was excited and booming and flying from room to room..by what sounded like a chickadee...hope the little bird didn't get in the flight cage! :shock

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:34 pm 

skygirlblue wrote:
Ellis GHO cam is now live!!!

This is the owl cam that is not that far from me. I will try and figure out coordinates., and pin point it exactly. We have quite a few of great horned owls in our area.

I could not get into cam tonight

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:55 am 
Site Admin

Thanks Matrix and Bev...

Mrs. Harvey...well, this can't be good...according to chat, she was off the egg for over an hour in the middle of the night..not sure how long she has been off this time..

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:29 pm 

Sad news here :cryinggirl: The egg is broken.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:57 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks Cheryl...I had come to report the same..sorry, I'm so late posting...I haven't heard what happened? has anyone? :cryinggirl:

She's still sitting on the side of the box...I wonder if there will be an egg #2!!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:53 pm 
Site Admin

Pic taken from a video by MsDebbiB. Maybe this explains why she left it so long unattended during the night (cracked?)..or maybe it froze and by her getting back on it, the shell cracked...who knows...let's hope she lays another one...with a more positive outcome..

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:14 pm 

Seems like this has happened before
Ms Harvey, the great horned owl, came to the Feather Wildlife Rehabilitation Center in May 1997 as a bird taken in illegal activity. She was raised by humans and we did not think she would make a release when she was able to fly. But she proved us wrong and flew and killed and was released in fall of 1997. She wears a US Fish and Wildlife band on her right leg, #599-10043.
She continued to stay in the area of where she was released and showed up on occasion. We put food out for her so she would stay here to get a good start. That was the start of our “perk” with a great horned female owl.

Starting in 2003 she started to lay eggs on top on another owl cage and they rolled off. So we put up a bushel basket and she took it for her nest in 2004 and brought off one baby owl.
Now the male she chose does not incubate the eggs when she gets off the nest to eat, etc. So there are many years when the eggs freeze. But each year we get young great horned owls that we can not put back in the nest, so until they can fly we put them in with our surrogate great horned. When the time is right we put them in the air by the nest and Ms Harvey takes over from there.

In 2009 she raised two young to about 2 weeks and both of them were predated, possibly by coons. In 2010 she had a late hatch and brought off two young. Each year has a story to tell about the nest and the activity. In 2011 she again lost the first clutch and re nested two weeks later and brought off one chick. We gave her two more young owls to raise. One of them is still here food begging.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:15 pm 
Well, at least it happened early...Looks to me like a clue is the rat tail laying on the egg...not good taking prey back to the nest with egg(s) in it... :-|

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:54 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks for finding that info, Cheryl...What a shame..but, I didn't think male GHO's incubated? Sounds like the male is not providing food for her and she has to leave to hunt? well, if she's gonna lay anymore, he needs to step it up some so she doesn't have to leave for long periods of time...and you're right, matrix...better for it to happen now..and I hate to say this, but it would be in her best interest if she went and ate that egg..good nutrition for her..

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:58 pm 

Matrix wrote:
Well, at least it happened early...Looks to me like a clue is the rat tail laying on the egg...not good taking prey back to the nest with egg(s) in it... :-|

Here's a close up
I couldn't figure it out.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:59 pm 

skygirlblue wrote:
Thanks for finding that info, Cheryl...What a shame..but, I didn't think male GHO's incubated? Sounds like the male is not providing food for her and she has to leave to hunt? well, if she's gonna lay anymore, he needs to step it up some so she doesn't have to leave for long periods of time...and you're right, matrix...better for it to happen now..and I hate to say this, but it would be in her best interest if she went and ate that egg..good nutrition for her..

I'm not sure about the male incubating. Matrix may be able to add something on the behavior.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:24 pm 
It would be rare for males to tend the nest...Maybe she is this Wild Male's "other" mate. Wild GHO's don't like people...(That is why I am shocked to see the one in the planter in Oklahoma) and in those pics captured of him feeding her earlier in the month, notice how he looks at the camera paning at him...Tells me he may be too wary to be around except in the wee hrs of the night, when all people activity has ceased.

Looks like the egg froze to the bottom, she came in with prey and hit the egg with it or her foot...
It's too bad... she may clean it up yet...

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 393 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 20  Next