Bird Cams Around the World

Peregrine Falcons, Eagles, Kestrels, Ospreys, Owls and Much, Much More!!!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:44 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 403 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 21  Next
 Post subject: Re: BREAKING NEWS JUNE-DECEMBER 2021
PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 1:12 pm 

Orange-CSU: BIG crack in one of the eggs, 3.54 local (webcam) time.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 1:46 pm 

Hatch complete!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:38 pm 

ORANGE AUSTRALIA 10/08 4.56 am Officially FIRST CHICK :hatchegg: :7val:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2021 4:06 am 

:1val: California Condor news: Iniko to be released into the wild soon and it will be broadcast live. Unfortunately, Eva will not ever be released into the wild d/t a back injury.

Update from the LA Zoo.

Junipero #663 visited the sanctuary to eat in the afterhours this evening:

The left foot looks atrophied and remains darkened. GIF by Cali Condor.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2021 3:54 pm 
Global Moderator

Calendar update for Orange (AUSTRALIA)!! :10sum: Many thanks for the hatching news...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 1:55 am 

:5val: VWS biologists to pick up "Iniko" from the LA Zoo later this morning and take her to San Simeon. We will be able to see her beginning Wednesday morning on the San Simeon Condor cam along with 9 other juvenile condors already in residence. Her release into the wild will be on December 4th!! More info at site.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 1:37 pm 

:buzzybee: Gigi, we have a new link for the IWS cams and chat:

Institute for Wildlife Studies
Favorites · 31 mins ·
The new page for our cameras and chat can be found at https://www.iws.org/iws-chat

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 4:09 pm 

SWINWK wrote:
:buzzybee: Gigi, we have a new link for the IWS cams and chat:

Institute for Wildlife Studies
Favorites · 31 mins ·
The new page for our cameras and chat can be found at https://www.iws.org/iws-chat
Thanks SWINWK! I am in the process of updating everything Eagle and I will include this. I believe I have some other errors with IWS, but need to look at my notes!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:55 am 

National Zoo Cheetah Cam new 2021
Cheetah Cam FAQs

Rosalie gave birth to 5 Cubs on October 12!

Mom Rosalie is a 6-year-old cheetah living at the Smithsonian Conservation Biology Institute in Front Royal, Virginia. She was born at SCBI in 2015 and was raised by her mother. This is Rosalie’s first pregnancy, and keepers have high hopes for her as a cheetah mom.

Dad Nick, a 10-year-old male, is the father (sire) of Rosalie’s cubs. Nick was the first cub ever born at SCBI in December 2010. Rosalie and Nick are part of the Species Survival Plan, or SSP, for cheetahs. This means their offspring would bring much needed genetic diversity to the population of cheetahs in human care.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 8:31 am 

I have put a detailed post on the Storks page regarding the nest at the Old Town Hall in Hoechstadt, Germany. Anna, the 18-year-old resident female for the last 15 years, has died as a result of a broken leg during the 2021 breeding season. She lived to see all her chicks fledge, and then avoided all attempts at capture. Her mate, Gerome (23-years-old), survives. They hatched five chicks this year, of which four survived to fledge, thanks to the supplemental feedings they did so the chicks would gain enough weight to survive migration.

I translated all the German updates into English and condensed it into a short synopsis. If you want to read the German updates yourself, the link is in my post. There is alot of detail there including possible methods of capture and it's been quite an education!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:43 am 
Site Admin

:thanku

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:07 am 

My computer has been inactive so sorry about not posting my bands and info on Alberta falcons. I have it up and running so will be done by evening. Too hard for me on iPad
So please add to falcons 2021 when I add it here :7val:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:50 am 
Site Admin

bev. wrote:
My computer has been inactive so sorry about not posting my bands and info on Alberta falcons. I have it up and running so will be done by evening. Too hard for me on iPad
So please add to falcons 2021 when I add it here :7val:

No problem bev...and no rush...I am very behind with EVERYTHING!! :7val:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 4:24 pm 

finally Alberta peregrine bands 2021

U of A - we had 4 eggs and 4 hatches.
- 1 chick passed away week 2 of hatching, due to heat. we believe a male, by size comparison at box. Radisson took off nest. could not get bands to post vertically . sorry and Peter not able to post right now)
F- P 39 ; F- P 40 ; F - P 41

all the females were rescued and taken to Pembina . they were very large females. RAdisson always has huge chicks( see notes)
*The first one flew well but on second flight she flew , and ended on top of a parking parking garage, north of nest site. I went up and observed her for a bit and noticed she could not get lift onto ledge ,so Peter and I rescued. I took her home , to hydrate her and rest her, in dark). Gord picked her up., nest morning. The second one flew to top of CP but then took off and kept flying around and ended up on street and was rescued. Number 3 ,somehow ended up on a low window ledge on nest building, below box (during night)and radisson fed her there for 2 days, Gord was aware of this and we both predicted that she would come to ground, from where she was ,as no way out. I asked watchers to position themselves where a quick rescue could be done. Great watchers.( Peter and I could not be there, but directed crew what to do till gord could come)).She was rescued before she could go into traffic.
This was a late fledging of all 3, because of our extreme heat.( We have never had above 30C temperatures for such a long period o f time, which put stress on Adults and young. YOUng remained in boxes, with very little moving around to retain moisture)) Also Gord noticed tail feathers were not developed enough because of being in box so long. They were taken out to Pembina ,where they could fly and develop without worries of windows and traffic. they did well.

WEber

not sure of number of eggs, as site hard to see ( box in new place)but we knew when hatches occurred.( Peter and Janice and I kept close tabs) [b]We had 3 hatches .
F- N 65 ; M- E 72 ; F- N 65
Very hot at all our sites. Gord left N65 at the site and she did very well. Great flier and Green Girl and unbanded male provided lots of food and great training. She stayed around well into beginning of Sept. others at Pembina did great.

bell and miscercordia in next post

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 6:05 pm 

[size=150]alberta falcon nests 2021 continued[/b]

[b]Miscercordia[/b]

we had 4 chicks hatch here.JUne2- 4 for sure, one passed before banding. We think , once again because of heat. Janice helped a lot at this site as we cannot be everywhere.
[size=150]
F- N75- stayed ; M- E56 - to hack : M- E 68- to hack

N75 was doing well, and we developed a good repor with construction workers, who immediately called when she came low on building south of nest box . Peter and Janice and I kept tabs on her, in shifts. On Peters watch , she eventually took off over his head and he cloud not run fast enough lol. to keep up, but knew her direction , which should be box roof. I drove down , and Peter and I went up to mall across street , and saw adult female flying over nest building with prey in talon. Instantly, we heard that sweet sound of Missy calling. There she was , on the top of nest box building, and mom dropped off prey. we stayed for awhile and watched her have a good feed and then lay down.we went to do another shift at U of A.

A few days later, Janice checked on her in morning and all was well. Then we got the call from construction, she was down, She hit part of building and was on ground. ( not sure why, as she had strong flight when Peter saw her) I think heat a factor ,or she may have pulled a muscle landing on nest building a few days before.) So off I go and Janice met me there. Peter came in from where he was and only 2 allowed, as Covid, so he and Janice did rescue. We took her to rehab ,as it was obvious she was hurt, in some way. It was touch and go for her for about a week. She could not move and was not eating. She had a bad concussion. We have very good rehab and they gave her time. Her brothers were flying up a storm at Pembina , so we wanted to get her there.
Then a break through , she was up and eating; baby steps. Finally ready for release. Gord picked her up but gave her more time. She did well at Pembina. our prayers were answered.
unfortunately adults had no one left , but they did have our missy for awhile

We always check up on our adults often and they did fine. AS with Radisson and Chase , they looked for her for a few days and then went on as usual.

Bell
[/size]

WE had 4 eggs here ,but only 2 hatched.
We have the best adults here. love, love them.

[size=150]F- N79 F N85

[/size]
Emyrauld and I monitored this site closely. Cams were poo but we took shifts. Peter and I made several visits down to site. Not a good site to observe from.
These 2 young females were very active, after a bit. They had a good site where they could get out of sun, so heat did not affect them much. Just after 5 on June 30, was last we saw 2 .
We feared that in a food fight, one may have fallen off ledge. Cam is so bad that we would see only see certain places. cam got worse as season went on. But we had hoped she may have had enough strength to make it to low building, but at best only 35 days old . We just watched the action of adults.
evening of july 8 , other youngster fledged. just by what I was seeing. at least 42 days old . she was strong

Peter and I finally had time to make another trip down. it broke my heart to find body of N79, first chick to leave ledge. It was dead on road in front of nest box. Never made it . must have just fallen straight down.
From what we seeing of adults on cam and adults actions when we went down town, we felt , other youngster was on a roof close by.

july12- we went down again and were thrilled to find N85 on the roof a building on a side street, not as High as i would like, but if she was smart , when would go east and be o.k.
Downtown Edmonton is murder on our young.
july14- OMG youngster made it to ledge . so excited and from that day on, she terrorized the adults LOL It was wonderful seeing her progress and make it roof of box and hen chase adults off roof and perches. she owned the place .
We went down and saw her in action .It was wonderful and to see her on the cam was awesome. As I said Cam was not good, and could not see very much but before it moved and we could barely see ledge at all, we saw her at lest till August 27. I have a feeling she was there longer but could not longer see much.
she was strong ad did well

last post will be Genesee. and Nutrien[/size]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 6:24 pm 

Genesee

at least 3 youngsters came to box in august. 2 males and 1 female

first one male , and then we had 2 males. a week later, a female, by feet and size, came to box. And then we were lucky to see 3 together at box. We were thrilled. our watching paid off.

This site was monitored by Emyrauld and I. Peter and I went as much as possible to Genesee. they did not lay eggs in box. Before cams went up some 2 legged Intruder or possibly lots of falcon traffic spooked them.
We know there was at least 2 other persistent falcons at site, an unbanded female and possibly a banded male.

but I knew they were nesting and I felt they had one failed nesting away from box and were on second try (later May).
it was like clockwork that they would come to box, as if on nest exchange. And when they did , any falcons around were chased off. I think the 2 that were frequenting, finally got the message.

Peter and I observed them at site, best we could, but because of COVID, they could not let us on site, if they wanted to. There was only one part of site we could not see and we felt they were nesting close to there. We always saw 2 adults when we went down there , but not together. Well sometimes they soared for a few minutes together, possibly in nest exchange. They both had their spots on nest box stack. (so you knew their nest was in view)
at one point when Peter and I went out we saw male come in with prey to his spot and prep it and then take off with it towards plant( security guard came to chat , or I would have had nest pin pointed. we knew we had at least one hatch and he was taking it to where chicks were.( I have this all in pictures)

We know at least one was flying june 29, as it landed where workers were. We first saw it come to box, June30.
we had heard a couple of flybys a few days earlier. kid slept in box.
by August 2 we had 2 males, eventually they both spent the night.
august 8, we see 3. now you can really see 2 males and 1 female
last time I heard or saw a youngster was dept, 3.

I could not watch too much after mid august but went back in history. this is why cam history is important.

So M27 and our unbanded male finished and ended season together.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:17 pm 

Nutrien
this site broke my heart.

very good adults, but disaster struck due to heat and we are still waiting on report of why last two perished. will post here, as soon as I know.

4 eggs
4 hatched. M- E 47 ( to hack): F- N71( to hack); F- N76( passed away between late night July25 and 6 am July26; F- N78- ( passed away around 10 am July26)

Gord usually leaves all young here as it is a good site, but all 4 eggs hatched in extrema heat and they really struggled during heat. Adults fed them well, better than most of our sites, but they were 4 huge falcons chicks in a smaller box. not much room . It was a new adult male this year but he was excellent and our Adult female really did well trying it keep them shaded. the sun just beat down on them. emyrauld and i monitored closely as no history and we knew they were in danger. they had mites also

We notified Gord and so they were prepared when they came up to band. All 4 were taken out. Dale cleaned out nest box thoroughly ,sprayed it and put in fresh gravel. Dale is a godsend at this site and so are his workers. All 4 were dusted , cleaned up and given fluids. They took 2 and put the best of the 4 back in box.
they other 2 went on ,after being looked after, to Pembina and flew very well.

the two in box, looked much better and after a few days were looking very well. They were feisty and looked as if they would fledge well. But July 23, we started watching closely. cam was blurry and hard to see so we did best we could .
I made a call to DAle and notified Gord, something was not right. But they were both eating , and it was hot again.

My heart broke that morning, they both passed. N78 had such a peaceful look on her face. WE were too late. Good clear cams are important. Not Dales fault. He does all he can.

Hope we find out soon what went wrong. they eat shore birds so maybe algae contaminating.( sue ot extrem heat)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:38 pm 

So I am done with bands and a report on each site. I will try in next week to put some more pictures in sites

please put bands etc in banding reports. I do have approx dates of eggs, and hatches and fledging if you wish them.

also here our present adults. most are the same

U of A-.
RAdisson (adult female- R SIDEWAYS 7 - 2006 hatch from radisson,Winnipeg , Manitoba,; -mother Princess, FAther TRey)
( SINCE 2008 -TILL PRESENT)
Chase ( no bands) part way through 2013 - present

weber- Green Girl( M26) - F[
color=#FF0080]from 2015 to present[/color]( born 2013 to radisson and chase at U of A)
unbanded male_ looks to be new this year 2021( markings all different than previous male)

Bell-
-M49( adult female, Squeak,- 2014 hatch from Logan site , Winnipeg, manitoba.;Mother Jolie; Father Hart( princess was his mother))(
M49 from 2017- present)

B32- adult male - ( 2015 hatch from WEber: green girl , mother, DO1 ,- father)
B32- from 2017, to present

MIscercordia
adult female- no bands; same one since 2018, by markings and habits
adult male- no bands; new 2021; other male had bands D03

genesee
- Adult female ; M27; born at inland cement 2013 and hacked at Pembina:
- M27 here since 2017
- adult male- B something( we think from U of a and hacked at Pembina)
- he came part way through 2019 to present 2021
nutrien
- adult female-N59: 2018 hatch form Miscercordia, unbanded female mother and Do1 father( Do1 was born at Nutrien)
- N59 from 2020 to present
- adult male- new thisyear. no bands.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:16 am 
Site Admin

bev. wrote:
So I am done with bands and a report on each site. I will try in next week to put some more pictures in sites

please put bands etc in banding reports. I do have approx dates of eggs, and hatches and fledging if you wish them.

also here our present adults. most are the same

U of A-.
RAdisson (adult female- R SIDEWAYS 7 - 2006 hatch from radisson,Winnipeg , Manitoba,; -mother Princess, FAther TRey)
( SINCE 2008 -TILL PRESENT)
Chase ( no bands) part way through 2013 - present

weber- Green Girl( M26) - F[
color=#FF0080]from 2015 to present[/color]( born 2013 to radisson and chase at U of A)
unbanded male_ looks to be new this year 2021( markings all different than previous male)

Bell-
-M49( adult female, Squeak,- 2014 hatch from Logan site , Winnipeg, manitoba.;Mother Jolie; Father Hart( princess was his mother))(
M49 from 2017- present)

B32- adult male - ( 2015 hatch from WEber: green girl , mother, DO1 ,- father)
B32- from 2017, to present

MIscercordia
adult female- no bands; same one since 2018, by markings and habits
adult male- no bands; new 2021; other male had bands D03

genesee
- Adult female ; M27; born at inland cement 2013 and hacked at Pembina:
- M27 here since 2017
- adult male- B something( we think from U of a and hacked at Pembina)
- he came part way through 2019 to present 2021
nutrien
- adult female-N59: 2018 hatch form Miscercordia, unbanded female mother and Do1 father( Do1 was born at Nutrien)
- N59 from 2020 to present
- adult male- new thisyear. no bands.

Bev...thanks so much for all this info!!! I'll make sure to get it recorded this weekend!!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:53 am 

All the band info is in 3 long reports above adult info.

Thanks SGB. Sorry it took so long.

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 403 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 21  Next