Bird Cams Around the World

Peregrine Falcons, Eagles, Kestrels, Ospreys, Owls and Much, Much More!!!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:50 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 167 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: Your suggestions or forum concerns
PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:59 am 
Site Admin

Hi Cricket...I sent you a PM!!!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:18 pm 

What happened to The Food Buzz?? I saw last years was archived, but there is nothing for 2011, and I have a few New ones I'd like to add for when I'm traveling so I can have them in my laptop and take them along on vacation when I love to cook up a storm. .

so shall they teach us to learn compassion and how to live together in harmony.

Warrington, Pa.
Bucks County

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:53 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Cricket...the food buzz sorta fizzled...so please feel free to put your recipes under Daily Chat!!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:53 pm 
Global Moderator

I keep all of my treasured recipes in a "Recipe" directory on my laptop, typed up in Word format, but you could use any word processing program. My Recipe directory is even broken down into sub-directories of appetizers, salads, breads, desserts, main entrees, etc. Really, it is better to have such personal/important things saved on your computer's hard drive rather than accessible only via internet, IMHO.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:24 pm 

I am so sorry it didn't work out. I always take my laptop when traveling for any period of time. Ex: Ga. or Fl. on Summer vacation. Since Ken doesn't want me to cook here at the house, we eat out all the time. I look forward to getting into the kitchen, and rattling those pots and pans. The last few years I tinker around with recipe's, and make them my own by making some changes here and there.

Thanks for the idea in Word. I like that especially the different sections ex: Apps, Main Courses, Desert's. CHOCOLATE! :val12::

so shall they teach us to learn compassion and how to live together in harmony.

Warrington, Pa.
Bucks County

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:11 pm 

I guess I would like to see a tutorial for embedding PB videos the way we can embed YT videos. PB has instructions, but I can't seem to do it.

Link SWF Files to a Website

Add the Direct Link (below the thumbnail or on the full-size view) to the embed code below, and then use the code on your web page to link to your SWF from another website.

<embed width="xxx" height="yyy" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="[swf file URL]"></embed>

where: xxx is the pixel width of image. yyy is the pixel height of image.

[swf file URL] is replaced with the URL code beneath the swf file in the account.

You must know the pixel width and height of your .swf file to properly enter it in the code.

I know what the direct link is and I know the width and height of the video. Where I get lost is "use the code on your web page to link to your SWF from another website."

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:25 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Beans...I will try and look into it...using simple "embed" codes don't always work with our Forum's phpbb format.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:33 pm 

I found the instructions to be unclear. One forum has a "media" button, which works very well. I just wish I understood PB's instructions... :thud

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:45 pm 

I'm curious about whether the Gulf toxins are affecting peregrine reproduction this year. I posted this on the canadian forum but would like this to be noticed by the U.S. section also. I can't see how to post the following -

"I would be very grateful for any information on whether your area has experienced a significant decrease in hatches, along with an increase in non-viable eggs this season compared to last year. I am interested in learning whether the Gulf toxins have had an impact on reproduction both in Canada and the U.S.".

It would save me sifting through a million pages looking for data :suncrazy:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:56 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Yasmine...and welcome to our forum...Yes, I saw your question posted under the Canadian topic...

That is a very interesting question...we have seen a decrease in hatches this year as well as eggs that have been non-viable..Without collecting and analyzing these unhatched eggs, I'm not sure if anyone can say for certain the causes. There has been some speculation that a cold, wet spring contributed to a decrease in hatchlings...

Please check out our nesting calendars

viewforum.php?f=202

They will give you an overview of PeFa nest all over the world. Toward the end of the summer I will condense and compile that data...it won't give the reasons for the failures, but at least we'll have a success/failure rate...

Thanks for your question!!!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:07 pm 

Welcome, Yasmine!

And SGB - you are sooooo organized! Thank you! :thanku

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:27 am 

Welcome to BCAW, Yasmine! :grwelcom

Yes, our Skygirlblue is very organized & on top of any situations relating to our beautiful birds! :sunsmile:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:42 am 
Site Admin

ummmmmmmmm....thanks girls, but I'm usually on top of things because I read what the rest of you are posting...thank goodness you guys are so good...otherwise I'd never be able to keep up!!!!

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 2:32 am 

Just found this nest with Buzzards! Does someone want to start a new topic? I think we can place these birds in the hawks section of the forum... well, my first time seeing a Buzzard! :thumbup

Link to cam: http://www.looduskalender.ee/en/node/12987

May 5, 2012: A pair of Buzzards is occupying the White-tailed Eagle nest in Estonia. The female, called Pruuni, is incubating her egg. Her mate is called Halli.

1st egg laid: 4/27/2012

Common Buzzard
buteo buteo
Estonia

With thanks and appreciatiion to looduskalender

From the website:

A buzzard pair has occupied the nest of white-tailed eagle pair Linda and Sulev. And why should a good spot stay empty? – only a little rearrangement needed for more comfort.

Buzzards are the most common birds of prey in Estonia. Increasingly often they stay here in winter too (mostly in West Estonia). We have seen them in action at the wild boar feeding ground some years ago and they are annual visitors on the WTE winter feeding ground.

Their number is estimated at five to six thousand pairs. It is quite many, and so they are noticed by observant watchers. The female is slightly larger than the male and a couple of hundred grams heavier – raptors weighing around a kilo on average. In appearance buzzards remind of eagles: broad and spread-out wings, tail often visible. Compared to eagles the head is smaller and the beak weaker. Plumage on upper parts is dark brown, underparts also dark-coloured, across the breast a lighter streak and the plumages of male and female are similar. Plumage colour forms are many. Here the female seems to be a little darker. Time will show how the new residents manage

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:30 am 

I would like a new link added to the osprey section, a new cam on an osprey nest in Maine It is very close and clear and the cam operator does a lot of close ups!

HOG ISLAND, Maine (NEWS CENTER) - The Audubon Camp on Hog Island, near Bremen, has set up a live camera in an osprey nest.

There a mother osprey laid three eggs on April 29th. As far as we can tell, one of them has hatched, the other two are close to hatching. The parent ospreys are named Rachel and Steve. Rachel stays at the nest, while steve goes fishing for food for mom and the chick.

You'll find a link to the camera here:

Http://explore.org/#!/live-cams/player/live-osprey-cam

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:21 pm 
Global Moderator

evelyn wrote:
. . . I'll ask if the forum has a section for organizing the hatch/fledge numbers for each peregrine nest on the forum. It would be incredibly useful to scientists. If it doesn't exist can we please start this ?

I have been researching North American banding protocol and hope to post a report when the nesting season slows down a bit. In the meantime, here is some basic information about bands and where the more detailed report will eventually be posted: Stay tuned!

In my research, I've learned that sometimes the specifics of band numbers are posted online and sometimes only vague information is posted (such as how many males/females, colored tape). Every state and province keeps records of its banding numbers, so those folks directly involved in the recovery project are fully informed and have access. But if you are a regular person, gaining that kind of information is not as easy. You are probably aware of the Midwest Peregrine Society which keeps a public, searchable database of peregrine falcon banding numbers for midwestern states that submit them. Not all states submit them. Some states/provinces choose to share only with other scientists/biologists.

Two years ago, Kittenface (brilliantly) began collecting publicly posted banding data for PeFa nests, and you can find her reports here:

2010 & 2011

I have been experimenting with a database of banding data also, so if you or anyone else comes upon publicly posted banding information, please PM it to kittenface and SusanE. Thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:23 pm 

Maine Puffin cam. 2 views, one inside the burrow, http://explore.org/#!/live-cams/player/puffin-burrow-cam and one of the lounging ledge. You might see other seabirds there too. There are puffin decoys as puffins like to hang around together. http://explore.org/#!/live-cams/player/puffin-loafing-ledge-cam

This cam went live yesterday.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:16 pm 
Global Moderator

Thanks for that info on the Maine Puffin cam, macintosh. If you are looking for a place to post pics and other info on that nest, here is the place:

That link will take you to MISC. BIRDS 2011/2012 which is located under MISC. FEATHERED FRIENZ > ALL BIRDS. Other Puffin cams are also reported at that link as well.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 12:45 am 

CAN WE HAVE A "BOTTOM" BUTTON? :cackle:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 3:16 pm 

OR, IS THAT NOT POSSIBLE? :hall6:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 167 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next