Bird Cams Around the World

Peregrine Falcons, Eagles, Kestrels, Ospreys, Owls and Much, Much More!!!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:23 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: POT PLANT OWL~2013
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:04 pm 
Global Moderator

I think our little cutie must have fledged already. I took this shot earlier today, and it looks like the whole area around the potted plant has been cleaned up.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:33 pm 
Site Admin

Gosh...I hope not...its too soon. . I'll go check the blog!!!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:44 pm 
Site Admin

No mention of a fledge on the blog..but I found some superly cute videos and the music selections are perfect!!!!!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:32 pm 

Well now aren't those the cutestvideo's thanks for bringing them SGB

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:12 am 
Site Admin

Well, its daylight there now. .no sign of Azizi...the chatters think he/she was blown off the post behind the old pot last night...oops...hope he's ok!!!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:41 am 

Well they are doing that configuration thing again so maybe they are going to try and find AziziYes they are panning around now :hapdance:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:06 pm 
Site Admin

Well, I've been gone all day..Apparently, Azizi spent the better part of the evening hiding/sleeping behind the OLD pot...he/she eventually showed up on cam around 10:15 cam time...

Of course, it is now dark, so who knows where he/she is now!!!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:41 pm 
Global Moderator

skygirlblue wrote:
No mention of a fledge on the blog..but I found some superly cute videos and the music selections are perfect!!!!!

Thanks so much for posting those super cute videos . . . you were right about the music selections being perfect!

And I was so glad to hear that Azizi hadn't fledged yet. Apparently the cam was focused on another potted plant on the deck when I thought Azizi was missing.

I'm really going to miss seeing these darling owls when the fledge finally happens, which I don't think will be too long from now.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:24 pm 
Global Moderator

Yeah! Azizi is still around, hanging out on the deck.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:12 pm 

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:52 pm 
Global Moderator

Things look calm now, with mom and Azizi resting by the potted plant.

But it wasn't this way earlier according to the blog:

14 January and someone put on the brakes...

I'm going grey overnight. Last night our dear sweet stinker chick, Azizi, flew straight from the nest to the table on our balcony. It then flew perfectly from the table to the balcony pillar, and back again. It continued flying short bursts until Azizi found itself in the old pot plant nest. A few minutes later, the chick was on the other balcony pillar and out of cam sight. I then had to check frequently that our chick was still on the pillar, and hadn't fallen into the garden, or worse still, the neighbour's driveway.

Things haven't changed much today. I thought Azizi would be tuckered out from all the activity last night, but I'm proven wrong - yet once again.

Azizi's antics today began early. First it stood on the lip of the pot preening itself and looking around for something to 'attack'. Then it tried hopping into the nest, fighting with the leaves and branches as it forced its tail feathers into the pot (the chick was head-standing trying to squeeze its way in). The chick soon hopped on the floor and spied the parrot's jungle gym. Azizi tried to land on the gym - unsuccessfully - and 'beak snapped' the parrot's gym - telling the gym off for causing its fall. Finally, our stinker flopped face-down onto the floor of the balcony next to the pot plant nest, and fell asleep.

I'm exhausted just watching Azizi...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:33 pm 
Site Admin

What a fun report to read!!! Thanks for posting it, Catbird (we seem to be missing your picture!!!)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:10 pm 
Global Moderator

skygirlblue wrote:
What a fun report to read!!! Thanks for posting it, Catbird (we seem to be missing your picture!!!)

Thanks for letting me know about the picture. I just fixed it.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:19 pm 
Site Admin

:snowflake2:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:33 pm 
Global Moderator

Azizi is looking quite grown up now.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:37 pm 
Site Admin

Azizi has taken his/her maiden flight!!! From the blog

20 Jan and Azizi leaves the balcony!

Azizi has taken its 'maiden' flight and left the balcony. Despite heavy downpours over the last 24 hours (which I thought may delay our chick), Azizi took off and left the comfort of the balcony nest.

Before going to bed last night, Azizi stood on the 'Pilot's wall' - a wall commonly used by chicks for wing-flapping practice. As this wall is still above ground, it is close enough to the balcony for chicks to scramble back up to the nest.

Azizi must have flown off the Pilot's wall sometime in the wee hours of this morning.

I woke early this morning to check on our chick and couldn't find it anywhere. After searching the neighbouring gardens, I eventually found the chick on the wall in our garden - tucked away behind a big bush.

I suspect PPO is also somewhere in the thick of the bush because I've just heard the garden birds kick up a fuss in that area of the garden. PPO is a lot harder to spot because she gets right into the bush and high up, and I don't want to get too near to Azizi.

So far, so good for Azizi. We will keep a watch in case it decides to move today. And this evening, we'll be ready to assist the chick should it get into any kind of mischief.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:18 pm 
Global Moderator

Thanks for the update, SGB. I knew he/she would fledge and leave the ledge eventually, but I wasn't quite ready for it yet. I hope all continues to go well for these darling owls!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:24 pm 
Global Moderator

Today's News from the Blog . . .

Azizi's wings

Last night we caught a glimpse of a superb flying effort by Azizi. Our chick flew straight across the road and landed on a complex wall nearby. Half an hour later, Azizi flew back to our complex - this time, landing in the neighbour's garden. For a while after the great flying show, we heard Azizi's loud hissing calls - begging for food from its parents.

PPO and Pappa obliged with some food deliveries that we spotted in the dark. At one point, we thought we saw Azizi on a rooftop. The owl on the roof looked small and didn't have quite the same silhouette as PPO and Pappa usually do. A second or two passed before the owl flew off the roof, and headed back over the road.

The neighbour's garden became quiet - no hissing at all. PPO and Pappa weren't around either so we suspect that our gut feel was correct - it was Azizi on the rooftop, and our chick really did fly!

Our suspicions were confirmed early this morning when we woke to see three owls flying from rooftop to rooftop. The owls were heading in the direction of their usual roosting spot (where Pappa sleeps when PPO is here with us).

We took a walk around the neighbourhood but couldn't locate the owls. This is wonderful news because it indicates that Azizi is strong enough to fly onto a wall or into a tree to protect itself.

Well done PPO and Pappa - you raised a wonderful, healthy chick!

To dear Azizi: we know that you are in excellent hands and have wonderful, caring parents. Make them proud as you find your own way through this special thing that we call Life.

We will miss you!

P.S. There's also a photo on the blog (http://potplantowl.blogspot.ca/) that shows Azizi together with PPO and Pappa. You can see all three of them if you click the photo to enlarge it.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:07 am 
Site Admin

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh....thanks for posting that update, Catbird!!!

Be safe, Azizi!!!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 2:34 pm 

Posted on FB today:

This year has brought with it many exciting challenges that have demanded a lot of our time and attention. Work has brought the opportunity to travel with groups. Our sport has seen us fitting in races that I never thought possible – the most recent being our trip to Colorado. A few weeks ago we adopted a new young female Border Collie to keep our dog, Destin, company. Like Destin, Layla is a 100% rescue dog – found under-nourished, cowering and in need of some TLC wandering around a dusty township. And I have been working on a animated movie script with a great conservation message in it. PPO is a character in the story, but is not the hero. The hero is a young Rhino – and more of that to come.

So what does all this have to do with PPO, Pappa and their family?
Is PPO still around?
Will she choose to nest on our balcony again, or will she find a new nesting spot?

Firstly, our movements have a lot to do with PPO – at least in the sense of monitoring her and Pappa, and 'checking in' on facebook. Travelling a lot means we're not at home to report all the good stuff – when the owls visit the balcony, how long they stay and which pot plant they are likely to choose for their nest this time around.
Judging by the mess on the balcony floor (soil kicked everywhere), I'd say that PPO hasn't yet decided which pot plant container to choose. She's still seeing which one fits better, and will probably decide on the day.
By all accounts, PPO plans on nesting again. Usually, she lays at least one egg in August and now we are into September and no egg in sight. Although this is later than usual, it is by no means an indication that she definitely won't lay eggs this season. We've just had a long cold spell which may account for a delay of a week or two. The winter has also been drier than usual so perhaps food availability is tight (until the rains come and insects come out). Perhaps PPO wants a longer break after the second attempt at breeding this past season.

The good news is that whatever she decides to do, we will be around (between our travels) to report the goings on. The bad news is that this year we've decided to give the webcam a break.

Yes, I know. I can hear the sighs, upsets, and tears from here. I appreciate that you may be upset and will miss being able to see PPO, Pappa and their family 24/7. This was not an easy decision to come to, and we spent a lot of time writing out the pros and cons. Ultimately, the decision boils down to not enough time in the day to tweak cameras, amend angles, cut branches, work on sound, check internet settings and fix problems that arise from having a 24/7 webcam operating from our home. We may not be home for a week and if something goes wrong with the webcam then, you will be upset – and likely to lose interest in PPO. At the end of the day, we have to look at what's practical for us (the ones who have to troubleshoot webcam issues at home). We are not deciding never to broadcast PPO again. This is a decision for this season only (should PPO nest), and we will review our decision next time.

When we can, we will keep you updated on all movements in PPO land via facebook and the PPO blog, which will start up when PPO decides to nest again.

Right now, my movie script is finished and I'm ready to pitch my Rhino story. If any PPO fan has a contact at an animation production house or a movie financing house, please let me know. It's near on impossible to pitch a story idea when everyone states “no unsolicitated ideas”.

Well, that's it for now. We acquired a small HD movie camera so when we figure out how to work it, we will also post video clips of PPO, Pappa and the family (hopefully). Warm regards to you all!

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next