Bird Cams Around the World

Peregrine Falcons, Eagles, Kestrels, Ospreys, Owls and Much, Much More!!!
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 563 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29  Next
 Post subject: Re: HARRISBURG, JANUARY-APRIL 2022
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2022 5:07 pm 

FALCONWIRE
7/13/2022 :: Update on 48/AE
Red Creek Wildlife Center has provided an update on 48/AE, the former dominant female of the Rachel Carson State Office Building (RCSOB) nest site. After suffering a shoulder injury and being rescued on May 30, 48/AE has been under treatment. The first weeks the shoulder was immobilized and bandaged. When the bandage was removed, she was placed in a confined cage which allowed for limited movement to rest and give the injury time to begin the healing process. 48/AE was then moved to the intermediate cage which allows for limited movement, such as extending wings. As early as next week, 48/AE will be moved to the flight cage to begin limited flights. She will likely remain at this stage for the next couple weeks.
Red Creek staff also report she is holding the wing in the correct position without any drooping. This, coupled with her feisty behavior, indicates she is healing well. This process will take time. Before a release is even considered 48/AE will need to be 100 percent healed due to the forces encountered by falcons in high speed flight. Additional updates will be posted on Falcon Wire when we have more information.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2022 5:25 pm 

:10sum: Absolutely thrilled for her!! :10sum:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2022 11:28 pm 

She has a long road ahead of her and needs to be in top shape to take her nest back. What a shame so much was lost this year. I kind of wish that Niecey would just not challenge the new female but I guess that's not how it works. I pray that she has a full recovery for sure though, and is released when she is ready. She deserves a second chance.

Thanks Jane for the info.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2022 2:18 pm 

great news Jane. I ma sure this warms you r heart. I know it does mine.

yes, a long road ahead of her.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2022 2:17 am 

:hmmmm It's 2:17 am and she is on the point craning her neck to scan the night skies of Harrisburg for prey...it's the damnedest thing I've ever seen in a peregrine, as I had no idea they hunted at night till this one came along! :redface :sum4:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2022 3:42 pm 

:rage This is sticking in my craw somehow, so best to wait before commenting. Newest post on the "Falcon Wire" with information source being "US Fish and Wildlife Service" as noted following article:

7/26/2022 :: Peregrine falcons and shorebirds
With the recovery of the peregrine falcon in the northeastern United States, sometimes there are unanticipated impacts. One such example has emerged from Delaware and New Jersey coastal areas where there is concern that the higher numbers of peregrine falcons are impacting shorebirds, such as the red knot. The diet of peregrine falcons is almost exclusively smaller birds, including shorebirds, land birds, and occasionally small ducks. The recovery of the peregrine falcon population means there are more falcons in the coastal habitats overlapping with shorebird habitats. Falcons hunting over large flocks of shorebirds can result in direct predation of shorebirds, and cause shorebirds to flush as an avoidance strategy. As with other disturbances, repeated flushing of shorebird flocks may be energetically demanding, and have a detrimental effect by reducing the time shorebirds can feed and rest. Persistent predator activity may also displace shorebirds from feeding areas, potentially forcing them into areas with less food or other unfavorable conditions. A recent study in Virginia barrier islands found that red knots, a federally threatened and state endangered shorebird, avoided beaches within 6 km of active peregrine falcon nests. The effect was most noticeable within 3 km of a falcon nest. There is presently no data on the long-term effects of nesting or transient falcons on populations of red knots, but this is a topic that is the subject of current research.
The state wildlife agencies in Delaware and New Jersey have taken steps to address the potential conflicts between peregrines and shorebirds:
-- Peregrine falcon nest structures that were within 3 km of Delaware Bay beaches in NJ and DE have been removed. The effects of specific nest structure removals are also being monitored to assess peregrine response, and to document intended and/or unintended outcomes.
-- Surveys are conducted to locate and document peregrine falcon nesting activity on any man-made structures on Delaware Bay and Atlantic coastal marshes.
-- When and where appropriate, initiation of new nesting activity may be precluded through management intervention, in consultation with state and federal agencies.
-- Where possible, peregrine falcons are banded to facilitate better understanding of species dispersal, range, habitat use, and specific patterns of behavior.
-- Surveys are also being conducted to document peregrine falcon presence on Atlantic Coast and Delaware Bay beaches during shorebird surveys. Determining the locations, frequency, and patterns of peregrine falcon use of coastal habitats, as well as documenting the nature and characteristics of individual incidents of peregrine harassment of shorebirds, will help direct future management actions.
-- Where peregrine falcons currently nest in the coastal zone, biologists are collecting data on diet and nesting success to document the prey that falcons take. In the coastal habitats that host several endangered and threatened bird species, it is important to understand the extent of potential and direct conflicts.
-- Where conflicts are identified and incidents of harassment are sufficiently documented to inform resource managers as to the age, pattern of behavior, and status as either a territorial or non-territorial peregrine, mitigative actions can be investigated to determine if they might reduce or eliminate the conflict.
-- Management actions must also assess the effectiveness of shorebird recovery, predation mitigation, and habitat restoration efforts. With the dramatically successful recovery of peregrine falcon, it is unrealistic to expect that the range overlap between peregrine falcons and shorebirds could be eliminated. Unassisted peregrine nesting activity in local metropolitan areas alone, such as the cities of Wilmington, Philadelphia, and New York (the latter having as many as 46 urban peregrine nests), will continue to recruit transient juveniles into the adjacent coastal regions.

While some conflict may be possible to mitigate by managing peregrines, it will continue to be necessary to take all measures possible to maintain, protect, and restore widespread, highly suitable shorebird habitats and populations.

Information source: US Fish and Wildlife Service

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2022 12:52 am 

She's scarfing something down on the point, only stopping every few seconds to look up and make sure nobody to surprise her! Made an early kill tonight.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 12:23 am 

She was watching the skies from the stick and just flew, so may be back shortly with something to eat.+

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 3:39 pm 

FALCONWIRE
8/16/2022 :: Update on 48/AE
48/AE, the longtime resident female, continues rehabilitation at Red Creek Wildlife Center. Falcon Cam followers may remember that she was rescued after spending hours on top of the Harrisburg Transportation Center. Due to the heat, 48/AE's feet were burned and required treatment. As she was not in a flight cage while her wing was still healing, the feet required an additional treatment. This second treatment was successful, and the feet have now healed. During this time 48/AE's wing has continued to heal as well. Now the wing is being carried close to its normal position. Therefore, in the near future, she will be moved to the flight cage and begin strengthening the injured wing and continue to hone her flight skills. As mentioned previously this rehabilitation will be a long process. For 48/AE to be returned to the wild, her wing will need to be at or near 100% primarily due to the forces Peregrine falcons are subject to when diving at extreme speeds.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 5:36 pm 

I'm sharing information here for anyone who would like to make a donation to Red Creek.

Red Creek Wildlife Center
300 Moonhill Drive
Schuylkill Haven, PA 17972
https://redcreekwildlifecenter.com

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2022 1:42 pm 

Because it is Niecey,I will make a donation

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2022 7:37 pm 

Thanks, Bev. The folks from Red Creek were VERY involved in rescuing her.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2022 3:33 pm 

:loveheart2: Interesting, both are occasionally talking to each other in a very scaled down version of the call you normally hear with an intruder in the area. Initially she was in the nest, then moved to atop the nest wall. He is not in view of the cam. I check this nest twice daily (1 of them being late or in the middle of the night) and don't have to go through many without finding her around.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2022 2:18 pm 

:loveheart: Someone is at the end of the ledge building side preening.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2022 4:18 pm 

:eggthumb: Both home now. She is atop the nest wall and he is in front of the large column. (Assuming it is him as can not see closely.)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2022 5:41 pm 

:eggthumb: She's on the stick facing us!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 3:37 pm 

:eggthumb: She's poking around in the nest right now.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 12:08 pm 

:loveheart2: Someone must be on top of the ledge cam as I can see maybe the very tip of tailfeathers at the top right of the screen. Nope, now it is moving and is a moth (?) of some sort. It had spots and walked across to the other side and out of sight. An unusual looking one. I went to look up as it reminded me of a photo I had seen recently on invasive moths and It may have been one of those "spotted lanternflies".

Edit to add: Someone reported back to me that it was a spotted lanternfly and they are everywhere there right now.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 1:25 pm 

Well, I missed seeing the lantern fly on the ledge, but would imagine there are MANY of them. They are all over the place at my house. Someone raised a question elsewhere about whether or not birds eat them, and the answer seems to be no for the most part. There are reports of them being eaten by a praying mantis. They also get caught in spider webs, and I have seen that here, and actually watched a spider eat one.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 2:05 pm 

:loveheart2: Both are conversing in the nest right now.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 563 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29  Next