Bird Cams Around the World

Peregrine Falcons, Eagles, Kestrels, Ospreys, Owls and Much, Much More!!!
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 232 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: SOUTH BEND, IN~2023
PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 6:49 pm 

:egg19:Will do!

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 6:51 pm 

:eggthumb: Hey T, feed just a little less than 1 hour ago by Mom! They were famished!!

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 7:47 pm 

Thank you, SWINWK! I had rolled back the cam feed and not seen Any adult! Iwas worried about the poor babies! I wish someone would make a report about how the banding went, adult’s behavior, etc. I’m anxious also for Flash to check in at the nest. And of course, the band info :egg19: Irolled back the ideo, and found where they finally got fed- YAY! Too bad nobody told the banders to clean the cam lens….

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 9:57 pm 

:egg8: I saw him wipe the cam lens very quickly. I have not seen Flash today, but going down the DVR it is so tight and easy to miss things. Will try again tomorrow to see Flash.

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2023 9:21 am 
Site Admin

You are so right, Swinwk...very difficult DVR

approximately 6 am..but she really didn't feed and left with prey

I really didn't pay attention to the rest of the times.

Self feeding

Mom came in and got the prey..

Thought better of it and came back in to feed.

another feed coming in.

Mom still seems nervous and wary...maybe left over stress from yesterday? Didn't see Flash on cam...but may have missed it because of my lack of DVR skills.

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2023 9:51 am 

:biggrin: I was just watching mom feed the babies. She does seem a little absent minded….she pulled off some prey and swung her head toward the chicks and stopped. The chicks were waiting for her to give it to one of them and when she still didn’t move one just reached in and grabbed it!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2023 6:12 pm 

:15heartbeat: I continued to try to find Flash per the DVR today, but as of now have been unsuccessful. She's flying up with the prey to the far rail, but he could be handing it off from the roof on the other side of the nest box or somewhere else out of our view.

:eggthumb: There may be 1 female and 1 male as I am seeing these headlines on the South Bend Tribune FB with a photo, but it will not let me access (The newspaper article is for subscribers only and apparently there is a reason for the names.):

South Bend Tribune · Follow

4h ·

"Two South Bend falcon chicks banded and named. Welcome, Skip and Elaine."

I am continuing to try to get this article, however.

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2023 8:09 pm 

:CLAPS: They are: "Elaine" (f) band: black/blue, U/09 and "Chip" (m) band: black/blue, U/10. Please read the following article by Joe Dits of the "South Bend Tribune" that answers all of our lingering questions including where Flash and Mom were during the banding.

I asked permission from Joe to place this article here with a gallery of 12 photos. (I subscribed at a VERY cheap rate of $1.00/3 months in order to see this. :teehee: ) To see the photos in the gallery just right click where indicated. Joe asked that the photos not be copied and pasted into a post, but that they be clicked to be seen.

Article and photos by Joseph Dits, Copyright 2023 the "South Bend Tribune"/Joseph Dits

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 2:42 am 

:15heartbeat: I could not find Flash at the nest today.

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 9:37 am 

:hithere: Hi SWINWK- yeah the newspaper wouldn’t let me use your link to view the information. My paper does the same thing….I pulled the cam back about 3 hours to find mom feeding the chicks. I did not see Flash, but at one point she did jump up on the ledge and seem to grab more prey out of thin air. Got to be Flash, right?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 10:11 am 

:egg15: Oh darn T! Last year we could read South Bend Tribune articles from here when I posted the link. I'll copy and paste the article to here. You all just will not be able to see the photos, but they are little cuties! BBIAB...

And here it is:

Two South Bend falcon chicks banded and named. Welcome, Skip and Elaine.

Joseph Dits
South Bend Tribune
Published 11:05 a.m. ET May 25, 2023 | Updated 12:11 p.m. ET May 25,2023

"SOUTH BEND — Two peregrine falcon chicks squawked as they let a handful of humans take them out of their nest box on Wednesday, place identifying bands on their legs and name them Skip and Elaine.

They are the only two that hatched out of five eggs laid in the wooden box on the roof of the County-City Building this spring. And they’re growing fast. In a week, Indiana Audubon Executive Director Brad Bumgardner said, the white fuzz around their healthy bodies will give way to brown feathers. And in two to three weeks, they’ll start testing their abilities to fly.

Bumgardner led a handful of helpers and spectators to the roof Wednesday for the annual rite of chick banding. He and Richard Garrett, who drove up from his home in central Indiana, having won the chance to be here at a fundraiser, pulled the two young falcons from the box as their parents complained and swirled overhead.

Dad is Flash, a male who appeared at the nest last year. Mom is an unbanded bird and, thus, is unnamed so far. As viewers witnessed on the live online camera at falcam.southbendin.gov, Flash and the prior reigning female, Maltese, had produced four eggs last year, but none of them hatched.

The humans nestled the new chicks cozily in a five-gallon bucket and toted them into the rooftop mechanical room. Bumgardner took the first bird and, by looking at its size and at the length of its legs, determined it to be a female. Female falcons are typically larger than males. He clasped two identifying metal bands on her so that, where ever she ends up as an adult, she can be tracked. That’s how experts know that the father, Flash, had come from the nest box in downtown Fort Wayne.

This female has a blue band marked “U9.”

Nicole Harmon, director of Humane Indiana Wildlife, a Valparaiso nonprofit that does wildlife rehab, banded the second bird, a male now marked “U10.”

And so the female became Elaine and the male Skip — names that emerged from a contest that Indiana Audubon held for this nest over the past month. Dozens of names were suggested through the contest website, followed by hundreds of votes at the site and on social media. The winning two pay homage to the late Elaine “Skip” Gehring of Whiting, Ind., an Audubon supporter and bird watcher who died one year ago at age 95.

The third winning name in the contest was Athena. If the falcons’ mother would have come close enough to safely grab, Bumgardner said, he could have banded and named her on Wednesday, too.

Bumgardner said this was the optimal time for banding. The young birds’ legs are as big as they’ll get, so he knows the bands will continue to fit.

Last week, the three chicks in the nest atop the Indiana Michigan Power Center in downtown Fort Wayne were banded, too, taking names that kids at the Boys & Girls Club of Fort Wayne thought of — then were selected after more than 1,800 votes: Marshmallow, Squirt and Stewart."

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 11:16 am 
Site Admin

thank you so much for playing detective!!

:CLAPS:

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 11:32 am 

:egg19: YW, sky! And T, yes Flash did hand off that prey to Mom this morning, although that was the most difficult "shadow interpretation" I have ever done. Also, to back it up the chicks reacted to him coming in with it to the near rail we can not see and then to their Mom who came in immediately to the far rail. Be sure to read Joe's article I copied and pasted above as he mentioned the parents swirled and complained overhead when their chicks were taken, so Flash was seen yesterday, just not by us. (And I am glad to find out the parents were in defense mode, apparently.)

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 10:13 pm 

Hi SWINWK! Thank you so much for checking up on this family. They are having kind of a tough first year, but I really think each year will get better and better! Sorry I’ve been MIA today- seems like there was never a minute when there wasn’t something I needed to do, or some place to go.
Yes, I was glad to read that the banders said Flash and his girl were active during the banding. Maybe Flash is still in guard mode, and is being vigilant that those hoomans don’t come back.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 10:26 pm 

:15heartbeat: Couple more meals by Mom before dark and one was a small white-looking bird that I am trying not to think what it was. Still haven't actually seen Flash, but good to know he has been around the last couple days, just out of our view.

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 10:43 pm 

:egg14: I pulled back the DVR to see what Chip and Elaine were up to today, and did you notice that 2 times Chip jumped up on the ledge?? I think he was asking his parents for more prey….

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2023 11:30 am 

:eggthumb: You know when I was going through the DVR yesterday, I thought I saw someone on the porch as I slid by too quick, but going back I could not find it and dismissed it. So, thanks for that T! About 3 hours ago, I finally caught Flash's shadow cast onto the porch as he arrived on the rail out of view and she immediately popped up from below to the far rail empty-taloned and ran down the rail and snatched it from him, then down into the nest and fed the chicks. She has got to be standing out of our view all day, but close to the nest waiting for his food deliveries.

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2023 1:31 pm 

Not a very good picture, but you can see that they're there!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2023 3:49 pm 

:biggrin: Well, check it out- Chip andElaine both up on the ledge!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2023 7:33 pm 

may26

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 232 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next